- John Pledge Jr.'s Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- Date: ABT 1675
- Place: Henrico County, VA
- Removed ABT from Birth Date and marked as uncertain.
- Removed ABT from Birth Date and marked as uncertain.
- SDATE 1 JUL 1675
- Place: Virginia
- Date: BEF 1720
- SDATE 31 DEC 1719
- User ID: B24C617D2A2FE4419D31E26E7633CFA898D1
- Data Changed:
- Date: 31 MAR 2011
- Date: 25 SEP 2011
- [Marriage date is an estimate from births of children. However, I believe these dates to also be estimates and I think the birth order is unknown.]
- John Pledge is on the Henrico Co Quit Rent Rolls in 1704 with 100 acres [this would appear to be the 100 acres he sold to Nicholas Perkins in 1709]
- HENRICO CO VA DEEDS 1706-1737;
- p.19/181 1 Sep 1709 John Pledge sold to Nicholas Perkins Sr, land in Henrico Parish on the North side the James up Four Mile Creek, adj sd Perkins and John Cannon. 50 acres descended to me as heir of my father John Pledge, dec'd, and another 50 acres was purchased of sd. Cannon. Wit: Wm. Frogmorton, Noel Burton, John Pleasant. Dorothy, wife of John Pledge, relinquished dower rights.
- In 1715, John Pledge purchased land from a neighbor, Joseph Pleasant. From Henrico Land Office Book 10, p.87:
- 6 Jun 1715. Joseph Pleasants, Henrico Parish & county, Gentleman, to John Pledge of same, planter for 30£, 300 acres north side James River; adj John Redford's line, part of patent granted to Pleasants on 13 Nov 1713.
- Henrico Record 1714-18, p.87
- John Pledge wrote his will 22 Nov 1720. Items to daughters Agnes Pledge, Martha Pledge, Judith Pledge, Ann Pledge, and Mary now wife of John Johnson. Also daughter Tabitha Pledge. Wife to give what she can spare to my two grandchildren born of my daughter Elizabeth Straing, dec'd, now living with me. To son in law John Johnson, 100 acres off the upper side of land where I live in consideration of looking after my son John Pledge for life. The rest of my land, 200 acres, to my son William Pledge, but wife to enjoy plantation for her life. All the rest to my wife, who is to be executrix. Wit: Mary Hutchens, Hester Childers, Tabitha Childers, Joseph Pleasants. Recorded 6 Mar 1721.
- John Pledge's will was recorded March 6, 1720 in Henrico Co. (Weisiger Pt1, 167):
- Will of John Pledge. To daughters Agnes Pledge, Martha Pledge, Judith, Anne Pledge and Mary, now wife of John Johnson, each, items, also to daughter Tabitha Pledge, items.
- Wife to give what she can conveniently spare to my two grandchildren born of my daughter Elizabeth Strainge, dec'd, now living with me.
- To son-in-law John Johnson, 100 acres to be taken off the upper side of land where I live, in consideration of his looking after my son John Pledge for life.
- The rest of my land I live on, 200 acres, to my son William Pledge, but loving wife Dorothy to enjoy the plantation for life.
- All the rest to wife, who is to be executrix
- Dated 22 Nov. 1760
- Wit: Mary Hutchens, Hester Childers, Tabitha Childers, Joseph Pleasants
- Recorded 6 March 1720 (Weisiger, PI, 167)
- Henrico Co Court, p. 76
- 6 Mar 1721 Dorothy Pledge presents the will of John Pledge which is proved by Hester Childers & Joseph Pleasants (a Quaker). Dorothy refused to be executrix and was granted administration with John Redford and Joseph Pleasants. Security: Amos Lead, James Nowlin, Thomas Wadly and & Roger Carol to appraise the estate. On petition of Dorothy Pledge, so much of her husband's will as applies to her is declared null and void.
- Henrico Co Court, p.107
- 3 Jul 1721 Dorothy Pledge presents the inventory of John Pledge.
- My Note:
- It isn't particularly surprising that a woman of this time period would refuse to be the sole executor; most were illiterate and Dorothy did sign with her mark. She may have very well felt unequal to the task alone. John Redford & Joseph Pleasants were neighbors and no doubt trusted friends. The fact that she refused the bequests of her husband's will has been cited as perhaps she was of Indian descent and was afraid her property could be seized. I disagree with this interpretation. A widow was entitled under the law to refuse the husband's will. If she agreed to the provisions and bequests of the will, she was also responsible for any debts of the estate. If she refused the will, she was still entitled to her 1/3 dower under the law and that dower was distributed before any debts were deducted from the estate. It's possible for the widow to be better off by refusing a seemingly generous will. The Pleasants family had a number of females named Dorothy - I would speculate Dorothy could have either have been nee Pleasants [hence Joseph Pleasants could have been her brother], or she could have had an earlier marriage to a Pleasant. Other surnames suggested for Dorothy are Redford and Milner - all of these families closely associated - neither of those families seem to use the given name Dorothy.
- Husband: John Pledge
- Wife: Dorothy UNKNOWN
- Child: John Pledge
- Child: Elizabeth Pledge
- Child: Agnes Pledge
- Child: Martha Pledge
- Child: William Pledge
- Child: Judith Pledge
- Child: Ann Pledge
- Child: Mary Pledge
- Child: Tabitha Pledge
- Date: ABT 1696
- SDATE 1 JUL 1696
- See the Changes page for the details of edits by Kay and others.
- Source: S119 Abbreviation: Comstock-Haggard and Allied Familes Title: Mary Jane Comstock, Compiler; Comstock-Haggard and Allied Families; (Chicago: Adams Press, 1973) Repository: #R5 Page: p.118
- Repository: R5 Name: Personal Library Address:
- Source: S311 Abbreviation: Thomas M. Pettitt's Family (Poindexter) Title: Mary Courtright Pettitt and Robert J. Pettitt, Thomas M. Pettitt's Family (Self Published. Highland CA: c1996. Out of print but available on LDS Microfilm #1750818, Item 13.) Note: 3037 Mountain Top Drive, Highland, CA 92346. Sent to me by Richard Elliott 11/98 Repository: #R3 Call Number: Copies [Poindexter/NC/101] Data: Text: "The Pledge Family" p. B-83. Data taken from POINDEXTER FAMILY HISTORY writtn by Dorothy Knox Brown.
- Repository: R3 Name: My Files Address:
- Source: S314 Abbreviation: Poindexter Family History Title: Nealon Rhea Agee and Dorothy Louise (Knox) Brown, Poindexter Family History: Knox-Bard; Kreager-Harrell; Crawford-Pledge-Flynn & Related Families (Self-Published Nov. 1955) Repository: #R5
- Source: S735 Abbreviation: Henrico Co VA Deeds Title: Benjamin B. Weisiger III, Henrico County VA Deeds 1677-1705; 1706-1737; Henrico Co Wills 1654-1737; 1737-1781 Repository: #R12
- Repository: R12 Name: Birmingham Public Library-Tutwiler Collection Address: 2100 Park Place CONT Birmingham, AL 35203 Address 1: 2100 Park Place City: Birmingham State: AL Postal Code: 35203 Note: M-T 9AM-8PM CONT W-Sa 9AM-6PM CONT Su 2PM-6PM Phone Number: 205-226-3665
- Source: S249 Abbreviation: Henrico Co VA Deeds Title: Benjamin B. Weisiger III, Henrico County VA Deeds 1677-1705; 1706-1737; Henrico Co Wills 1654-1737; 1737-1781 Repository: #R9
- Repository: R9 Name: Birmingham Public Library-Tutwiler Collection Address: 2100 Park Place CONT Birmingham, AL 35203 Address 1: 2100 Park Place City: Birmingham State: AL Postal Code: 35203 Note: M-T 9AM-8PM CONT W-Sa 9AM-6PM CONT Su 2PM-6PM Phone Number: 205-226-3665
WikiTree profile Pledge-46 created through the import of Haden for WikiTree.ged on Oct 10, 2011 by Kay Haden.
WikiTree profile Pledge-31 created through the import of Comstock for Wiki.ged on Jul 27, 2011 by Kay Haden.
This person was created through the import of Yates and Allied Families.ged on 21 December 2010. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with John:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Karen Adamson, Doug Matthews, and Carol Wilkerson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On February 2, 2015 at 20:42GMT Doug Matthews wrote:
On February 2, 2015 at 20:41GMT Doug Matthews wrote:
On February 2, 2015 at 20:40GMT Doug Matthews wrote:
John is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 18 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 21 degrees from Mark Hamill, 18 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.