- William Poole's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Please extend or correct this information. Some of the sources cited here are "secondary" sources not considered consistently reliable by William Pool . This "draft level" profile is consistent with virtually all of the profiles found on public sites which show "William Taylor Poole" to be the father of James Pool of Spartanburg SC. Additional references are being sought.
This is a research tree, developed to try to determine if the Spartanburg Line of Poole ties to the nearby Greenville SC / Laurens SC line of Pool.
inserted here are questions and comments from Viola Jones obviously additional work is needed to resolve questions on this profile. On July 23, 2015 at 00:54GMT Viola Jones wrote: William's birth state is not known. He married Elizabeth Stovall in Granville CO NC. I do not think that John was named John Bartholomew because that Bartholomew was his father's name and also he had a brother named Bartholomew. This according to my research. William Poole is not the son of Thomas and Obedience Poole. Obedience is 2 years younger than William the Tailor. Thomas' son, William, moved to middle TN where her lived and died.
here is previous write up .... if you are expert on this Poole line, please help correct / edit William "The Tailor" POOLE was born on 22 Jun 1739 in SC. He died in Jan 1817 in Elk Creek, Grayson, North Carolina.. He was buried in Pacelot Township, Spartanburg County, SC. William was called "Taylor" because he was a Tailor by trade. This was to tell him from William POOLE "Iron Master" and other William Pooles in the area. He was also known as "Pacelot" POOLE. He had large holdings on the Pacelot River, and was the first postmaster in that part of South Carolina. His first home in SC, a unique "block house" was owned in 1970 by Dr. Ezell of Spartanburg SC., and was used by his family as a "weekend cottage". He also owned property which contained large springs which people visited for health reasons. The healing springs are said to still be in existence and the property is owned by Poole descendants.
He was married to Elizabeth STOVALL (daughter of John "Bartholomew" STOVALL and Dorcas) on 15 Dec 1760 in Granville County, NC
- Bible, Census, Will and Cemetery Records
- Poole Family history as told
- Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900,Source number: 17029.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: WAY. (Validates 1739 and NC for birth)
- 1810 , 1820, 1830 US Federal Census
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Robin Lee, William Pool, William Graham, Viola Jones, and Sarah Dittmann. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On July 23, 2015 at 00:54GMT Viola Jones wrote:
William Poole is not the son of Thomas and Obedience Poole. Obedience is 2 years younger than William the Tailor. Thomas' son, William, moved to middle TN where her lived and died.
On July 16, 2015 at 23:56GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On June 18, 2015 at 12:01GMT Viola Jones wrote:
On June 18, 2015 at 12:00GMT Viola Jones wrote:
On June 23, 2014 at 00:37GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On May 9, 2014 at 18:01GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On May 9, 2014 at 16:13GMT Viola Jones wrote:
On May 9, 2014 at 15:53GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On November 22, 2013 at 15:17GMT Robin Lee wrote: