- George Potter's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Serious Data Problems.
GEORGE1 POTTER, was born about 1584, London, Middlesex, England. The date and place of his death are unknown and are sometimes confused with the dates of his son George. source: George Potter of Aquidneck, Rhode Island and some of his descendants 
George was born in 1584. George Potter ... He passed away in 1640. 
The Potter Line (I) George Potter, the immigrant ancestor, settled early in Rhode Island. He was born in England, and died soon after 1638, it is supposed, as no further record of him has been found. His widow married Nicholas Niles. George Potter was admitted an inhabitant of the Island of Aquidneck in 1638. He and twenty-eight others signed the following compact, dated April 30, 1639: "We whose names are underwritten do acknowledge ourselves the legal subjects of his Majesty King Charles, and in his name do hereby bind ourselves into a civil body politicke, unto his laws according to matters of Justice." Nathaniel Potter, probably his brother, signed the same compact.
No more info is currently available for George Potter. Can you add to his biography?
New England Families Genealogical and Memorial: Third Series, Volume IV
- ↑ https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE925890&from=fhd
- ↑ George Potter of Aquidneck, Rhode Island and some of his descendants
- ↑ Patron Usage Instructions: https://www.familysearch.org/terms; Public
- ↑ Entered by Judith Painter-McGregor, Oct 28, 2012
- Add sources here.
New England Families Genealogical and Memorial: Third Series, Volume IV Continues: II) Abel Potter, only known child of George Potter, was doubtless born in England about 1638. His father-in-law (step-father), Nicholas Niles, bound him out to William Baulstone for the term of eighteen years. He may have been three years old at the time, but probably older, as the boy "gave his consent," so that his apprenticeship doubtless extended until after he came of age. The town approved the contract "for the better security of Mr. Baulstone." He and Nathaniel Potter, on September 5, 1664, confirmed a deed of eight acres that had once been in their father's possession, said deed having been made by Samuel Wilbur to John Tripp, shaft carpenter, May 7, 1663. By fathers' possession the respective fathers of each is meant. Nathaniel was son of Nathaniel. Abel Potter bought land of John Read for thirty-six pounds, a right in Mashantatack, Massachusetts, May 3, 1667. He and his wife Rachel of Mashantatack sold sixty acres and commoning near Pawtucket Falls to Joseph Jenckes, said land formerly belonging to her grandfather, Ezekiel Holliman, the deed being dated at Providence, October 10, 1671. He was admitted a freeman, May 1, 1677. He sold land, October 6, 1682, to Roger Burlingame for two pounds. His will was dated January 14, 1692, and proved March 9, following. His wife Rachel was executrix. He bequeathed to son George sixty acres "where he has made preparation for building" and various other lands, he to pay his sister Mary five pounds. He directed his wife to divide the rest of the estate among the children, excepting George and Stephen. The latter was bequeathed at the death of the wife all the homestead, paying to his sister Mary five pounds, and the sons, Abel and Benjamin, were to pay Mary five pounds two years after they came of age. The will of the widow, Rachel Potter, was dated November 23, 1724, her sons, Ichabod and Job, executors. She bequeathed to sons, Abel, Benjamin, Stephen and John, and to daughter Mary. Ichabod and Job had the lands at Mashantatack. Abel Potter married, November 16, 1669, Rachel Warner, who died November 8, 1724, daughter of John and Priscilla (Holliman) Warner. Children, born at Warwick, Rhode Island; George; John, 1680; Abel, mentioned below; Benjamin, married Sarah Lockwood; May, married Hugh Stone; Ichabod; Job, married Meribah Carter.
- Alice Potter, b. Abt 1603, , Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England , d. 1643, Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, United States Age: ~ 40 years
- Robert Potter, Sr., c. 17 Jan 1608, St. James, Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England , d. 1654, Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States Age: ~ 45 years
- Elizabeth Potter, c. 27 Nov 1609, St. Bride Fleet Street, London, Middlesex, England , d. 15 Apr 1683, Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, United States Age: ~ 73 years
- Marye Potter, c. 17 Jun 1610, St. Bride Fleet Street, London, Middlesex, England , d. of Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, United States
- Martha Potter, b. 1611, London, Greater London, Middlesex, England , d. 1669, Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, United States Age: 58 years
- John Potter, (Older), c. 17 Oct 1613, St. Bride Fleet Street, London, Middlesex, England , d. Bef 1620, St. Bride Fleet Street, London, Middlesex, England Age: ~ 6 years
- Nathaniel Potter, Sr., b. 1615, London, Greater London, Middlesex, England , d. 1644, Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, United States Age: 29 years
- Rebeckah Potter, c. 29 Oct 1615, St. Bride Fleet Street, London, Middlesex, England , d. , date unknown
- William Potter, c. 2 Mar 1616, St. Bride Fleet Street, London, Middlesex, England , d. date unknown
- George Potter, Jr., b. Bef 9 Dec 1618, London, Greater London, Middlesex, England , d. Sep 1640, Portsmouth, Newport, Rhode Island, United States Age: ~ 21 years
- John Potter, (Younger), c. 26 Dec 1620, St. Bride Fleet Street, London, England, d. date unknown
- Susanna Potter, b. Abt 1623, London, Greater London, Middlesex, England , d. 29 Aug 1674, Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island, United States Age: ~ 51 years
- Judith Painter-McGregor, firsthand knowledge
First-hand information as remembered by Jack Wise, Wednesday, August 13, 2014.
First-hand information as remembered by April Pitney, Wednesday, March 26, 2014.
He has 14 children, but one of the sources says he only had one child.
Searching for someone else?
- George Potter
- George B. Potter
- William George Potter
- William George Potter
- George Potter Smith
- George Potter
- George Potter
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of George's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jack Wise and Judith Painter-McGregor. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 8 Apr 2015 at 09:18 GMT Dawn Ellis wrote:
On 24 Mar 2015 at 18:37 GMT Betty (Lockwood) Warner wrote:
George is 14 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 17 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 19 degrees from Michael Phelps, 25 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 15 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.