According to Topsfield Vital Records Abigail was baptised September 6, 1713. She married Nathaniel Hood Jr. on November 13, 1735 also at Topsfield however the marriage record suggests Abigail was "of Ipswich". Perhaps her family moved there from Topsfield, sometime between her birth in 1713 and her marriage in 1735.
There is no record for a death or subsequent marriage of Abigail (Potter) Hood. Nathaniel, her husband died in 1755, a resident of Marblehead, Essex County, according to probate papers. On March 22, 1756 Abigail made her mark, swearing that the inventory of Nathaniel's belongings was correct, she being executor of the estate.
- Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2001-2010).
- Vital Records of Topsfield, to the end of the year 1849, Topsfield Historical Society, Newcomb and Gauss Printers, Salem, Mass, 1903, pp. 89, 180. https://archive.org/stream/vitalrecordsofto00tops#page/88/mode/2up
- Essex County, MA: Probate File Papers, 1638-1881.Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2014. (From records supplied by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Archives.)
- Genealogies of the Potter families and their descendants in America to the present generation with historical and biographical sketches edited by Charles Edward Potter; Published 1888 by A. Mudge & Son in Boston
This WikiTree profile was created through merging one or more profiles either through imported GedComs or manual entry. Additionally, open profiles of historically significant people are subject to edits from many WikiTree managers.
Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions. If you want to review changes and contributors from pre-merged profiles, you need to access the Changes tab for each of the pre-merged profiles.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Abigail by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Abigail:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Eugene Quigley, Beverley Scott, Cynthia Paul, and Rhonda Scoullar. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On April 8, 2015 at 10:44GMT Dawn Ellis wrote:
Abigail is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 37 degrees from Anne Frank, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 25 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.