Samuel Potter was the son of Anthony and Elizabeth Potter. Many sources list Anthony's wife (Samuel's mother) as Elizabeth Whipple. Anthony came to Ipswich in 1648, the year Elizabeth Whipple died. Other sources say that Samuel's mother was Elizabeth Stone.
Samuel first married Joanna Wood, the daughter of Isaiah Wood and Mercy Thompson. He married his second wife, Ruth Dunton, on April 18, 1692. He married Sarah Burnett, the widow of Robert Burnett on December 4, 1705. Samuel's children by his first wife were David, Sarah (David's twin), Joanna, Samuel, Thomas, Elizabeth, and Henry. His children by his second wife were Anthony, Esther, and Ezekiel. And by his third wife he had Esther, Lydia, and Abigail. All of the children were born in Ipswich.
Samuel's date of marriage to his first wife, Joanna Wood, is estimated to be 1684, based on the 1685 birth of their twins, David and Sarah.
- “History of Litchfield, and an account of its Centennial Celebration 1895,” Kennebec Journal Print, 1897, page 262.
- Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2001-2010).
- WikiTree profile Potter-1740 created through the import of Rockwell Family Tree.ged on Oct 9, 2012 by Toby Rockwell. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Toby and others.
- Source: S-2137469152 Repository: #R-2147054110 Title: Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. Note: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created. Page: Ancestry Family Trees Note: Data: Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=7666568&pid=357
- Repository: R-2147054110 Name: Ancestry.com Address: http://www.Ancestry.com Note:
- WikiTree profile Potter-993 created through the import of Scoullar Family Tree dec07.ged on Jul 10, 2011 by Rhonda Scoullar. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Rhonda and others.
- ↑ William Richard Cutter, “New England Families”, Third Series, 1915, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York, Volume 1, page 209.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Samuel's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Kay Wilson, Eugene Quigley, Toby Rockwell, Beverley Scott, and Rhonda Scoullar. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.