- Joshua Poythress's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Joshua Pythress is the third son named in his father's will so we can presume that he was born well after his parent's marriage in 1688.
Joshua Poythress married Mary Hardyman 
- from the Last Will and Testament of John Poythress, 1712 (Prince George County wills) published in The Southside Virginian vol.IX no.4 page 153 transcribed by Virginia Lee Hutcheson Davis 
- "In the Name of God Amen I John Poythres [Poythress] Senr. of Pr. Geo County .......... Item I give to my Son Josh Poythres three hundred Acres land at Monkanneck & to his heirs .......... Item I give to my Son Joshua Poythres two Negroes named Betty & Beck "
- A tentative list of the children of Joshua Poythress compiled by R. Bolling Batte in 1977 
- 1. Joshua Poythress -1794 who married Mary Short (daughter of William and Mary Short of Surry County)
- 2. William Poythress 1753-1794 who married Mary Gilliam, daughter of John Gilham and Jane Henry of Prince George County.
- 3. Elizabeth Poythress who married Simon Fraser in 1775, in Middlesex County
- 4. Susan Ann Poythress 1766 - 1799 who married David Maitland in 1788 in Prince George County
JSTOR - subscription required for full article, but single preview page (free) has information you may find of interest.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Joshua's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On February 8, 2016 at 08:57GMT Valerie Willis wrote:
On August 30, 2015 at 15:56GMT Liz Shifflett wrote:
R. Bolling Batte's research has Joshua as the first child (and John b c1665 as 6th). John (b c1665, m Mary Batte), was the son Christon (bp 1634). See RBB online chart and narrative. The narrative shows Joshua's son Joshua as husband of Mary Short (see info on first page of this JSTOR article).
Joshua is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 18 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 30 degrees from Gene Kelly, 19 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.