- Basil Prather's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: American Revolution Veterans.
|Event years 1773-1789|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the 1776 Project!
- Place: New Chapel Church Cem, Watson, Utica Twp, Clark Co IN
- 1820 Clark Co IN, p 14: Basil R Prather: 131401/31110
- 1810 Indiana census not available
- 1800 "Second Census of Kentucky," p 235: Basil Prather, Jefferson Co, 9/3/1800
- 1790 Iredell Co NC, Salisbury Dist, p 157: Bazil Praither, 3/4/4
- Revolutionary War NC; oath of allegiance 28 Feb 1778, Washington Co MD; wounded in the knee at the Battle of Camden, SC, 1780
- He signed an Oath of Allegiance in Maryland in 1778; by 1780 he had moved to North Carolina. While serving in the militia there, he was shot in the knee at the Battle of Camden, 16 August 1780.
- 1. NSDAR Patriot Ancestor # A092400. Kathy Patterson's supplemental is in Add Vol 958.
- 2. Roster of Soldiers from North Carolina in the American Revolution, page 354, militiaman in Salisbury District.
- 3. Ancestry.com. Roster of Soldiers and Patriots of the American Revolution Buried in Indiana. http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=BookList&dbid=48306&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0.
- State Records of NC, 1901, Vol. 19, p. 179.
- History of Clark Co IN, Baird, 1909, pp. 54, 674-676. History of the OH Falls Cities, 1882, Vol. 2, p. 409 and passim.
- Although many researchers assign a middle initial R to this man, I believe that is a confusion with his son. No record I have seen clearly calls this man Basil R Prather.,
- Text: Roster of Soldiers in NC in the American Revolution, 1932, p. 354. "Basil Prather (1742-1822) born in MD, died in Clark Co IN: Militia, #6907, Salisbury District Comptroller's Office Certificate, 1785."
- Soldiers of the American Revolution Buried in IN, Vol. 2, Byrne, 1954, p. 82: "Prather, Basil, Clark Co. b 1741/42, Rockwell, Montgomery Co MA, formerly Frederick Co, married ca 1765, Chloe (Chlorenda) Robertson (Robinson), b 14 Aug 1748, MD, died Clark Co IN, 12 Jul 1812. Basil Prather died 8 Oct 1822, Clark Co IN. Soldier and wife buried New Chapel Cemetery, near Utica IN. Both have stones. Children: [includes] Lloyd md. Louisville KY, Nancy Redman 21 Jun 1804...
- Also 1966 edition, pp. 83-84.
- DAR Patriot Index.
- Text: Lineage application of Katherine Alvis Patterson, national no. 554801, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, supplemental (Basil Prather), "Add" volume 958, approved 2008.
- Text: Territorial Papers of Indiana, various petitions dated 1809-1816, from University of South Dakota Library, copied 1967. Clark Co IN petition, dated 12 Dec 1809, included: truman hilton, James Hilton, Joshua W redman, Lloyd Prather, Benjamin Redman, Basil R Prather, Aaron Prather, Roger Redman, Jacob Veatch, Wm Prather. Another peition from 1809 included: Wm Prather, Truman Hilton, James Hilton, John Prather, Basil R Prather, Aaron Prather, Lloyd Prather. A territorial memorial signed 31 Dec 1810 included Aaron Prather and Jacob Veatch. A territorial petition, 11 Dec 1811, had: Aaron Prather, James Hilton, Basil Prather, Wm Prather, Basil R Prather. Clark Co IN petition, dated 16 Dec 1813, included: Aaron Prather, Samuel Prather, Basil Prather, Loyd Prather. Clark Co IN Memorial, 15 Oct 1812: Rezin Redman, Commandant of a Detachment from Clark. Territory Memorial, 1 Feb 1815: Basil Prather. A footnote mentons Basil Prather, a native of Maryland and postmaster in 1816 at Salem. 17 April 1816: a note from the Postmaster General to Basil Prather.
- Text: Anna M. Cartlidge, Marriage Records of People Named Prather, Prater, Prator, Praytor, 1976, no page copied. NSDAR Library, 1987.
- Text: History of the Old Falls Cities and Their Counties, L. A. Williams & Co, Volume II, page 409 (1882): "Basil R. Prather, the father of the Prathers in the township, came here from North Carolina in 1801. His sons, Thomas, William, Walter, Basil R. Jr., Judge Samuel, Lloyd, John & Simon (Sion), were all married when they came here, except the last named. They settled throughout the township, and formed a class of men possessed of many admirable qualities."
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Basil by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Jerry Prater - Family Tree DNA yDNA 37 markers
Family Tree DNA kit 384859
- H Martin Prather - Family Tree DNA yDNA 111 markers
Family Tree DNA kit 325658
- Katherine (Alvis) Patterson - 23andMe
GEDMatch ID M134025
- Raeleah (Riley) Brinson - 23andMe
GEDMatch ID M012294
- Linda DeFrees - AncestryDNA
Ancestry.com member frankie49
- Raeleah (Riley) Brinson - Family Tree DNA Family Finder
GEDMatch ID F306520
Family Tree DNA kit 306520
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Basil is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 21 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 21 degrees from Mark Hamill, 11 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.