Project: Global Family Reunion
The mission of Global Family Reunion project on WikiTree is to help make as many family connections as possible for the Global Family Reunion being planned for June 6, 2015, and, as a bonus in doing so, further the core WikiTree goal of one world tree, where everyone is connected.
AJ is including everyone, EVERYONE, who connects to him and his wife. He talks about the event and his approach on his Global Family Reunion website. Connections at WikiTree are generally only traced through common ancestors, but AJ is approaching this by considering connections made any way possible, so if you can be linked by a marriage, adoption, etc., tracing back and forth and all around, you are related.
All this means once we start tracing a line, we JUST KEEP TRACING! All the spouses, their families, their families' families. Everyone, just like you would if you were working on six degrees of separation.
How to Join
To join the project, send a message to Abby Glann, the Project Co-Leader, so she can add the badge to your profile. You do not need to be a part of the Project here on WikiTree to go to AJ's Reunion on June 6, 2015, but we sure appreciate your help!
Then, you can jump right in, tracing your own family to connect with AJ and the existing WikiTree Global Family Tree, or you can work on any of the profiles listed on the category page! Most of the profiles on that page are open, so you can add to the profiles without being added as a trusted member (unless you would like to be).
Once you are a member, be sure to add the Global Reunion tag to your G2G feed for updates on what we need help with and updates about our progress .If you have questions, just send Abby or Erin a message, and THANK YOU for your interest and help. Every little bit gets us one step closer to making one, giant world tree a reality!
Guide for Research
There are few things we suggest you do to participate in the project on WikiTree (if you want to go to the reunion itself, you can, whether you link to AJ or not. See more information on AJ's webpage):
- If you do not already have a project badge, which shows everyone you are part of the GFR Project on WikiTree, contact Abby and let her know you'd like to be a part of the project.
- Once you are a member, add the global_reunion tag to your following feed so you'll see G2G discussions, updates, and opportunities to help out as other members pass lines they cannot pursue on to others.
- Visit our Google+ Community for weekly updates on progress, general news, and chatting with other members.
- Help out some of our cousins to be, who have contacted AJ and want connected to the tree by researching lines on our Cousin Connector Table below.
- Check the Priority Connection Page and the GFR Category page to see the profiles where research has halted and you can help by picking one of those to start researching and connecting new lines.
- On that note, every time you reach a profile that you cannot pursue at the time but can be picked up by someone else and is within 10 degrees of AJ, put [[Category:Global_Family_Reunion]] in the bio section so it can be seen by others who may be able to.
- If you are interested in our Notables Project, we have a couple different places with lists of Notables who need connected. Our priorities are at the Priority Connections page.
- If a profile strikes your fancy, but it is a private one, just send a message to the manager (most likely a project member) and we can have you added so you can work on it. If you have issues, let Abby know.
- Keep all profiles as either Open - so anyone can jump in and help - or if the person is still alive (or might be) Private with Public Biography and Tree, so it can be easily referenced for others working on the same tree.
- Active users can add this template to their profiles to show they are connected to AJ. If you know how many degrees you are from him, you can enter the number after the bar in the template. If not, you can just use the word "many". If you aren't connected yet, let Abby know so we can get you on our list. We want everyone connected!
- For profiles that are for inactive or deceased profiles, you can use this template to show that the profile is part of the GFR and has been connected to AJ. We will go about adding the template to the profiles that have already been connected, but if you happen upon one, please add it. This is to show that who is connected, so long as they are not active member profiles, and as long as the current profile managers are okay with it.
- If you have a question or need help, please post a new question in G2G or in the Google+ community. Be sure to tag it with [global_reunion] so the project members see it and we can step in to help. Use whatever surname is appropriate, as well, as many community members at large can help, too.
- This project is very important. Good research is very important. Give what time you can, even if it is only an hour or two a week. That little bit can accomplish a lot.
- THANK YOU for volunteering. This project would be impossible without the incredible volunteers here at WikiTree!
- If you come across fantastic profiles we can feature (and make sure you have the template with the steps to AJ on them!) in the Profile of the Week or submit to the This Day in History/WikiPick of the Day feature on the blog, put them under the appropriate heading on this page.
- When you come across profiles that are part of what links one person to AJ on WikiTree, you can post this blanket statement on the profile bulletin board to invite them to check out our project, as well as AJ's reunion:
- This profile happens to be connected to the WikiTree Global Family Tree, which also connects to AJ Jacobs. For more information on the Global Family Reunion, an event AJ is hosting June 6, 2015 for the entire world to show how we're all connected, see the Global Family Reunion project page. Be sure to invite your family and friends, too!
- The Global Family Reunion Project
- Our number one goal is to have everyone on WikiTree connected to the Global Family Reunion. That is A LOT of profiles. Luckily, all you need is one connection to connect a whole family line. We are currently at 65%. Chris created a list of unconnected profiles for us to use to connect the rest. It is here: Unconnected Profiles
- Have all connected profiles well-sourced as possible and conforming to the WikiTree Style Standards
- Include correct parents, spouse, and children, or mark the profile as having no children or spouse so that work can continue elsewhere.
- Have appropriate categories listed in all Biography areas.
Members' Current Activity
- This is a space to keep track of misc Fink Family related links, photos, leads, and such, until they can be linked to the family.
- Abby Glann: Working on the Unconnected list, putting the GFR template on as many connected profiles as I can, and going through the category to remove/add the category as needed and keep things rolling in general.
- Erin Breen: I'm ready to make connections for notable people, and every day folks! If you are still unconnected and would like some help finding your connection, send me a message.
- Eowyn Langholf: Spader/Fraser line
- Maggie N: (Maggie is taking a break for now) Ancestors & family of Sarah (Rosenthal) Fink and Moses Fink family.Mathilda Toba Barmon Rosen, Racheal Barmon Rosen Fink, David Rosen Rebecca Goldman Barmon Bernard Barmon, Hannah Barmon Wolenburgh , Nancy Barmon Samuels & all Barmons ancestry & descendants.
- Ron Norman: Open to requests for help in filling in twigs on branches. I have started by working on the Flug family and their siblings. Also the Sunstein siblings. The Bachmans, the Billigs, the Finks, and the Klees to name a few of the branches/twigs.
- Vic: Samuel Kheel and family
- Lianne Lavoie: I found my connection, so now I'm focusing on adding more sources all along that line, and branching out from it as I go. I especially want to grow the parts of the tree that are within Canada to make it easier for Canadians to connect to the tree.
- Roland: Working on a tool to find connected profiles. Latest results: http://apps.wikitree.com/apps/arsenault64/aj_25.html (A better tool as since been implemented by the WikiTree team)
- Bob Fields: Leading the Notables subproject: Finding people who *should* be on WikiTree, adding those missing profiles, categorizing them properly, and connecting them to the rest of WT so people can see what other *famous* people they are connected to. Any/all assistance is most welcome.
- Kyle: Well-versed in early American research, so can take on lines in that era/area when they are reached.
- Lucy: Trying to connect the Titherington family to the global tree.
- Heather: would like to help with the French Canadian connections, Seguin dit Laderoute and descendants. I also have a particular interest in Denmark and Danish research. Found my connection (another French Canadian / Deerfield massacre survivor Jean Chartier) so working on that in both directions: back to Simeon Harmon. Also connected via Queen Elizabeth II, working on connecting to our Creswicks Creswicke-4
- Robin Kabrich constantly works on her multitudinous Pike ancestors and has adopted some that are on your list who turned out to be cousins. I'd be happy to look for the others! Also working on Civil War project, some of whom are notables.
- Veronica Williams wanting to help with Australian and/or English research. Please let me know if you come up with profiles needing work in this area.
- Eric Daly is working on Dickinson family lines (including Emily Elizabeth Dickinson)
- Matt Pryber - working on the Kerstetter, Bierly, Barner, Glantz, Price and Coe Families George Abel from the list.
- Michael Stills - working on the Sheldon Families.
- Chris Hoyt Bemis, Samuel W. and his ancestors. John Andrews [Andrews-420] and [Andrews-421]
- Anne B is working on Rebecca (Turner) Mix and her family. I've gone back to the beginning. This is the first family I ever researched, 45 years ago. It's like visiting old friends. 8/2 Still working on the Mixes when not being sidetracked.
- Pat Hickin isn't doing any significant new research but is trying to clean up her messy source citations on her family database file on her computer.
- Doug Lockwood - Just connected Kathy Lee Gifford to AJ (38 steps). Currently trying to connect Eric Clapton & George Harrison. Added sources confirming connection to Teddy & Franklin Roosevelt.
For what members are working on right now, click here for the badge activity feed.
See badge page for the full list of members.
Cousin Connector Table
We have over a thousand people who want to be AJ's cousin, but have yet to figure out how. We are trying to slowly get them connected but we really need your help. If you click on the up/down arrows on the table headers, you can sort the table to see if there are areas that appeal to you, like certain geographic regions, surnames, or eras. Just put your name in the box to say you're working on it, and be sure to keep us updated on the corresponding G2G thread so we can all work together to get everyone connected. When you find a connection, let us know asap! These people are working on finding their connection and will be thrilled to hear our fantastic WikiTree GFR members helped them make it happen. If you have questions, just ask!!
A special request, another way to help is to help us with some of the full family trees and gedcoms people have sent. If you like just doing data input, we'd love the help! You can private message Abby if you are interested.
|Researching For||volunteer researcher||surnames||surnames||surnames||surnames||steps to AJ||regions||notes||G2G Post to Keep Track of Progress|
|B. Roeder||Volunteer Needed||Roeder||Oenbring||Jones||Cathcart||not yet||US: Georgia, Iowa||found this family site||Help Connecting the Roeder Family|
|D. Titherington||Lucy's looking at it||Connolly||Hamill||Titherington||Goodrich||not yet||UK||none||Titherington Family Needs A Hand|
|J. Coleman||Volunteer Needed||Coleman||Swinson||not yet||US:Georgia||none||The Georgia Colemans Need Connected|
|M.Koerth||Volunteer Needed||Koerth||Pike||Noll||Duncan||not yet||US: Kansas||none||not yet|
|David Blaine||Volunteer Needed||Perez||White||not yet||US:Brooklyn, New York||none||not yet|
|S. Olmsted||Erin Breen||Hunter||Ramsay||Olmsted||Bramhall||38||US: North Carolina, Iowa||Connecting point: Andrew Ramsey||none|
|S. Fishbach||Volunteer Needed||Olson||Brink||Nathan Fishbach||Steinberg||not yet||none||not yet|
|S. Harris||Volunteer Needed||Walker||Cheaney||Pepper||not yet||US: Kentucky, Ohio||Cheaneys married into Huguenot lines; I can give more details if you get that far||not yet|
|H. Morgenbesser||Volunteer Needed||Morgenbesser||Marder||Nacht||Schwartz||not yet||US:Brooklyn, New York; Poland, Austria/Germany; Romania||none||not yet|
|A. Misener||Volunteer Needed||Soltys||Basic||Misener||Smith||not yet||US:Cleveland, Ohio; Croatia; Poland||one Misener line may veer into Canada||not yet|
|J. Becker||Volunteer Needed||Farnen||Worland||Becker||Aulbur||not yet||US:Missouri, Ohio; Germany||none||not yet|
|J. Friedman||Volunteer Needed||Toker||Levine||Friedman||Rubin||not yet||none||not yet|
|Golomb||Volunteer Needed||Golomb||Temeles||Olitsky||Weisenberg||not yet||none||not yet|
|D. Nicoli||Volunteer Needed||Nicoli||Kohn||Friedman||Abramson||not yet||US:North Dakota; New York; Baltimore, Maryland||none||not yet|
|S. Brody||Volunteer Needed||Gabrilowisch||Silasky or Lasky||not yet||US:New York||none||not yet|
|A. Kline||Volunteer Needed||de Florance; Sherell de Florance||Israel||not yet||Lithuania; Manchuria; Sydney, NSW, Australia||none||not yet|
- 100 Degrees of AJ calculator Easy way to find the steps between a profile and AJ
- Rescued Memories has lost family photos and includes everything written about the photo with it. It may provide links in your search for connections.
- Roland's steps script, which includes through which family member the previous connection was made.
- WikiTree Tops has top facts about the Global Family Reunion found in WikiTree.
-  Jacobs One Name Study
This page was last modified 23:42, 31 August 2014. This page has been accessed 10,156 times.