Project: One Name Studies
The purpose of this project is to coordinate WikiTreers who are working on one name studies, and to provide a research resource for members who are trying to find their family history.
Project members are active researchers into one, or more, family names and their variants. Their research may be limited to one family group where alternative spellings are a problem, they may be researching a specific line of ancestors or collecting all references to a name and its variants to prove connections and theories about relationships.
Members are expected to maintain a category page detailing the name study and profiles included in their research. Additionally they may use Free-Space Profiles for research notes, sources and collaboration. Each name study should have at least one coordinator to handle interactions with other WikiTree members. It is an important part of WikiTree that we are creating a collaborative worldwide family tree and coordinators should work with other members to enable them to link their branches correctly.
If you are a WikiTree member and want to see if any of the One Name Studies connect with your branches or twigs check the list below and follow the links to see which names have been researched. If you think there is a connection either contact the profile manager or the study coordinator to start collaborating.
List of One Name Studies on WikiTree
If you would like to start a One Name Study on wikitree, or join with an existing study as collaborator then please do the following:
- Add one_name_studies to your list of followed tags. That way you'll see all our discussions in your G2G Feed.
- Ask Doug to award you the One Name Studies Project Member badge.
- Add categories to your researched profiles, see the instructions below.
- Add your name to the list below, along with a note about what names you're researching on in this project right now. This is both for your own reference, and to aid collaboration amongst the project participants. If you are going to be temporarily inactive in the project (e.g. on vacation), please note that here. Thanks!
- Justin Cascio Corleone, Sicily, 1800-present
- Rhian Geleick - UK Grist, Geleick
- Kristin Merritt - Southeastern US Merritt
- Nan Lambert -- Lambert, originally middle Tennessee and southern Illinois
- Maggie N -- Slovakia,Hungary,Serbia,Slovenia,Germany in Europe. Ohio,Indiana,Illinois,NY,Maryland in US. VARIANTS : Strmensky,Stermensky,Sterminsky. Sterman (US only).
- Michelle Hartley - Gerard, Indiana Judith, Germany & Indiana
- Lianne Lavoie - Jacksons of Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
- Leigh Hoolihan - Hoolihan and variants
- Peterson Cobbett - Cobbett and variants
- Lorna Henderson - Fairbairn and variants, Runciman and variants
- Jack Templeton - Templeton DNA
- James Applegate - The Applegate Project should be active by June 2014.
- Rhonda Lucas - Melrose DNA & Name Study
- Christine Searle - Tilliduff, Tullideph and variants
- Andrew Kemp - Kemp/Kempe/Kempf/Kemps and variants & Kemp DNA study
- Michele Bergin - Worldwide Widdicks and variants
- Doug Lockwood Lockwood & Schiffhauer Names
- Maria Maxwell Maxwell in Ireland
- Matt PryberPetrovs, Bierly, Smith etc.
- Terri Rick Cunningham and varients; Reynolds and varients; Reich and varients; Deucher and variants
- Marlene Marx Marx and variants
Categories for One Name Studies
There is now (14 January 2014) an easier way to create one name studies. From the My WikiTree menu Surnames find the create a name study or DNA project, fill in the form, adding up to 3 variants remove the DNA line if you are not doing a DNA study, click the create button and the category is created and a free space page, every profile in your study can now have the [[Category:XXX_Name_Study]] added to the Bio text box and will show up on your one name study page.
- Manual method of creating a study.
- Add a category to one of your name study profiles, something like [[Category:XXX_Name_Study]] using the main name of your study in place of XXX. After saving, the profile will show a link, at the top of the Biography section, to your study page, follow the link and on the page that opens and add the one name study category with [[Category:One Name Studies]], you can also add a description of your study. Every profile in your study can now have the [[Category:XXX_Name_Study]] added and will show up on your one name study page.
- You can also create a Free Space page to store research documents, pictures etc.and link that to your study page with the category link [[Category:XXX_Name_Study]]. See the Free Space help page for details about creating a Free-Space Profile.
Once you have a One Name Study category set up you can add the link to it in the list above, together with a brief description and a link to the study coordinators profile, usually yourself.
- The Guild of One-Name Studies
- UKBMD One Name Studies
- Names Origins and Meanings
- Lists of name links some useful others maybe not.
- Rootsweb guide to names
- Variant Names Project on wikitree links to werelate.
- Map your data A nice way to view family distribution, see the Hoolihan study for an example.
- Federation of Family History Societies This home page covers all the U.K for Family History Societies.
- The Scottish Association of Family History Societies Their membership includes all established family history societies in Scotland, as well as several national and regional bodies throughout the world.
- THE GLASGOW & WEST OF SCOTLAND FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY Their aim is to promote the study of family history, particularly in Glasgow and the west of Scotland, covering Argyll & Bute, Ayrshire, Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, and Stirlingshire (part).
This page was last modified 17:06, 12 July 2014. This page has been accessed 1,370 times.