A project is a group of members organized around a topic or volunteer activity. There are "top-level" projects like the ones you see below, sub-projects, and free-space projects. See the Project FAQ for more information.
To see if an existing project fits your interests or ancestors, browse the list below or Category:Projects. There is also a subset of Pre-1700 Projects. Also feel free to contact a Volunteer Coordinator. Their mission to help members like you find a project that might interest you and if so, to introduce you to its leaders. The project leaders would love to have your help.
These are Projects that currently have active collaboration between participants and tagged discussions on G2G in the last three months.
The 1776 Project is for Profiles of ancestors that were involved in the early history of the United States of America, circa 1776 through 1789. This time period covers the War for Independence through the ratification of the United States Constitution by our Founding Fathers.
The place for WikiTreers who want to improve WikiTree's coverage of the French settlers who came to Nova Scotia and the surrounding areas in the early 1600s, as well as their descendants.
WikiTree Ambassadors are volunteers who are active in social media and/or blogging and who are dedicated to helping share the WikiTree love!
Current Leader: Eowyn Langholf
WikiTree Arborists are volunteers who have taken on the mission of improving the overall health of our single world WikiTree, specifically seeking out and merging duplicate profiles.
Current Leaders: Robin Lee
The Australia Project is an umbrella Project for discussion and coordination of various sub-projects (below), and for suggesting new projects. All sub project members gain the Australia badge.
Current Leader: Paul Bech
- Anzacs led by Terry Wright and Irene Dillon
- Australian Convicts and First Settlers led by Paul Bech
- Bushrangers led by Paul Bech Terry Wright and Irene Dillon
- Cemeteries of Australia led by Paul Bech
- Eureka Stockade led by Paul Bech
- Explorers of Australia
To coordinate WikiTreers who are researching and improving WikiTree's coverage of families in the Bahamas.
Current Leaders: Peter Roberts
A project focused on those ancestors and family members we sometimes wish...weren't. The outcasts, outlaws, and outlandish folks in our family trees.
Current Leader: Sally Stovall
- The Hatfields and McCoys led by Terry Wright and Paula J.
- Bootleggers and Moonshiners led by Alison Andrus
- Outlaws led by Terry, Paula, and Sally
- Pirates led by Alison
- Spies and Traitors led by Alison
- Witch Trials led by Alison, Paula, and Terry
For WikiTreers who are working on improving the profiles of the Canadian Prime Ministers, Fathers of Confederation, and other historical Canadian figures.
Current Leader: Erin Breen
- Alberta coordinated by Bob Jewett
- Empress of Ireland led by Guy Constantineau
- First Peoples led by Erin Breen
- Manitoba led by Lianne Lavoie
- New Brunswick coordinated by Bob Jewett
- Nova Scotia led by Erin Breen
- United empire Loyalist led by M. Gaulden
A forum for researchers and descendants of the people who settled the Cape of Good Hope / Kaap de Goede Hoop (1652-1806) and tamed the land for the Dutch East India Company until the British invasion in 1806.
Project Coordinator: Philip Van der Walt
To bring together WikiTreers who want to help manage the Categories and encourage their use.
Current Leader: Philip Smith
Project includes anyone who is Czech or of Czech descent.
Current Leader: Michelle Hartley
For those interested in exploring how WikiTree can integrate DNA test results.
The oldest and largest project on WikiTree, EuroAristo's focus is on the noble families of Europe, from as far back as there are reliable records, to the present day.
Current Leaders: John Atkinson
- Royals and Aristocrats Prior to 742 led by Maggie N.
- British Isles Royals and Aristocrats 742-1499 led by Kathy Patterson
- European Royals and Aristocrats 742-1499 led by Martyn Grifhorst
- British Isles Royals and Aristocrats 1500-Present led by Lianne Lavoie
- European Royals and Aristocrats 1500-Present led by John Atkinson
A project focused on the great photos that people upload to WikiTree, members nominate the most interesting new photos to show up in the past week, then choose a winner. Please become a Voting Member!
Current Leader: Terry Wright
The objective of the Filles du Roi Project is to create genealogies and biographies for the approximately 750 French women who came to New France (Canada) as wards of the King - the filles du roi or king's daughters. They married soldiers and settlers, and are one of the most genealogically significant groups in Canadian history.
Current Leader: Erin Breen
The objective of the German Roots Project is to create genealogies and biographies for those families that came from Germany and its population in Russia, Poland, Austria, and Switzerland.
Project Coordinator: Marlene Marx
- Volga Germans
- Bavaria coordinated by Michael Thomas
- Rhineland-Palatinate coordinated by Michael Thomas
The mission of the Global Cemeteries Project is to make WikiTree the preferred site for genealogists and family researchers to find and share information regarding the final resting places of our ancestors.
- Canadian Cemeteries led by Lianne Lavoie
- European Cemeteries Leader/Coordinator needed; in the interim, contact Lianne for help or to join
- Cemeteries of Oceania led by Paul Bech
- U.S. Cemeteries led by Lisa Franklin and Tom Shaw
The goal of this project is to work on ways to improve WikiTree as a global genealogy resource, and reach out to genealogists around the world.
Current Leader: Erin Breen
The mission of this project is to help make family connections for the Global Family Reunion planned for June 6, 2015 as well as connect all the unconnected profiles on WikiTree to make one, global family tree.
A friendly group of members who welcome new guest members and confirm those who volunteer to become Wiki Genealogists.
This project diligently works to make sure anything you need to know to succeed on WikiTree can be easily learned in our Help Pages and Index.
Current Leader: Gail is on emeritus. If someone else would like to co-lead, please let Abby know.
This project is to document individuals who were involved in the Holocaust.
This project focuses on the French Huguenots, Protestants living in Catholic France who migrated to other countries to avoid persecution.
Current Leader: This Project Needs a Leader. If you're interested, please contact Abby
Project Coordinator: Sadie Whanger
For WikiTree users interested in profiles related to India.
This project focuses on integrating WikiTree and the Genealogist-2-Genealogist Forum.
Current Leader: Robert (Keith) Hathaway
A project for WikiTreers with Irish ancestry.
A project to help people with foreign languages (such as interpreting foreign genealogy records), as well as investigating ways to make WikiTree more friendly to non-English speakers.
The Latin American Roots project is the place for anyone who has an interest in the history or genealogy of the 20 Latin American nations.
El Latin American Roots Project está abierto a cualquier persona que tenga un interés en la historia o genealogía de las 20 naciones de América Latina.
Current Leader: Patrick Barnum.
You may communicate with him in either English or Spanish; puedes comunicarte con él ya sea en inglés o español.
- Chilean Roots led by Patrick Barnum.
This project focuses on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, including Mormon founders, LDS Pioneers, the Mormon Battalion, the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and prominent members past and present.
Current Leader: Eowyn
Louisiana Families focuses on those families who helped to settle the state of Louisiana and the varied backgrounds they represent.
Current Leader: Philip Smith
The goal of this project is to categorize and improve profiles of the twenty-five barons who were surety for Magna Carta, and the "illustrious men" named in the preamble, and their immediate families and descendants, in preparation for the 800th anniversary celebration in England in June 2015.
For WikiTreers who are working on the profiles of the Mayflower passengers and their immediate families.
Current Leader: Becky Syphers
Mentors are Wiki Genealogists who help and interact with new members in our community. Basically, we take over where the Greeters leave off. Mentors will play a big role in getting guests and new members going, as well as educating members through various means such as the G2G and the blog.
Current Leader: Mags Gaulden
Current Leader: Patrick Barnum The purpose of the Mexican Roots Project is collaboration in posting to WikiTree the profiles of individuals and families directly associated with Mexico, while at the same time editing and improving those profiles, contributing proper source citations and providing help and support to WikiTree members who manage profiles that have some relation to Mexico. The Mexican Roots Project is open to anyone who has an interest in the history or genealogy of Mexico.
A project to help grow WikiTree through multimedia outreach-from things to use at conferences and speaking at your local library to G+ chats to video tutorials. We're always looking for great ideas and doers!
The Native Americans Project is a "top level" project that encompasses sub-projects according to tribe, event or other area of historical or cultural interest. The geographic scope will be lower 48 states plus Alaska in North America. The time frame will cover pre-colonial until the present. This project serves as a central directory of all that is going on in the sub-projects. Current Leader: Paula
Apache Tribe ~*~ Cherokee Tribe ~*~Chowtaw Tribe ~*~ Comanche TribeCreek Tribe ~*~ Descendants_of_Pocahontas ~*~ Family of Powhatan ~*~IowaTribe ~*~ Lakota Tribe ~*~ Miami Tribe ~*~ Saponi Tribe ~*~ Seneca Tribe ~*~ Shawnee Tribe ~*~ Shoshone Tribe ~*~ Sioux Tribe ~*~ US Southern Colonies Native Americans ~*~ Wampanoag Tribe
This project focuses on New Netherland families who settled the area during Dutch rule. The period covered is through October 1674, but see the project page for more specific details on family connected before and after that time period.
This project is the effort of a group of WikiTree users interested in profiles related to New Zealand
For anyone who wants to pursue a One Name Study, allowing sharing and collaboration with other members while keeping the structure of the study using categories.
For people participating in one place studies and wanting to make the most of WikiTree categories and other features to support those studies.
The purpose of the Puerto Rican Roots Project is collaboration in posting to WikiTree the profiles of individuals and families directly associated with Puerto Rico, while at the same time editing and improving those profiles, contributing proper source citations and providing help and support to WikiTree members who manage profiles that have some relation to Puerto Rico. The Puerto Rican Roots Project is open to anyone who has an interest in the history or genealogy of Puerto Rico.
Current Leader: Patrick Barnum
For WikiTreers interested in the early Puritan colonists who started arriving after the Mayflower and form the 20-40k settlers who arrived in New England mostly between 1621 and 1640.
Focusing on those of the Quaker religion worldwide.
Project Coordinator: Andrea Powell
To bring together WikiTreers who are focusing on the French settlers to came to Quebec in the 17th century.
Current Leader: Lianne Lavoie
A Project for Leaders who are interested in helping prevent forest fires.
A project for Military Personnel Worldwide that were KIA,MIA,POW and WIA or received the highest medal from their country
Current Leader: Terri Rick
- Scottish Clans led by Doug Straiton, Nae X, Maria Maxwell, and Billy Wallace
- Scots in Foreign Service led by Doug Straiton
- Scots Abroad led by Doug Straiton
A group of WikiTreers who discuss, debate, and propose changes to WikiTree's styles and standards.
Current Leader: Lena
To coordinate WikiTreers who create and improve templates on WikiTree.
Current Leader: Rob Ton
A project to gather, commemorate, and improve the profiles of those who served in World War I.
Current Leader: Jacqueline Clark
For WikiTreers interested in improving the profiles of the passengers and crew of the Titanic.
Current Leader: Paula J
A top-level Umbrella project covering the areas encompassed in the United Kingdom currently and historically, including the major areas of England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales
- British Isles Politicians coordinated by Sir William Arbuthnot
- England Current Leaders: Maria and Billy
- Wales Current Leaders: Maria and Billy
- Cymru Welsh Royals and Aristocrats 742-1535 led by Vic
- British Isles Royals and Aristocrats 1500-Present; British Peerage led by Lianne Lavoie
- British Isles Royals and Aristocrats 742-1499; Early British Peerage led by Katherine Patterson
To coordinate the efforts of WikiTreers who are working to improve the profiles of the US presidents, their Vice Presidents, as well as their descendents and ancestors.
Focusing on participants in this conflict 1861-1865.
Covering ancestors who lived in the Southern Colonies of pre-1776 America.
Members who help other members get introduced to projects and collaborations.
Current Leader: Erin Breen
The Westward Ho! Project is a top level project that encompasses all sub-projects west of the Mississippi River from 1800 - 1925.
- Wild Wild West led by Paula and Terry Wright
- California Gold Rush led by Paula and Terry Wright
- Remember the Alamo coordinated by Mary Richardson
- Mexican American War led by Paula and Terry Wright
- Cowboys and Cowgirls led by Paula and Terry Wright
- Trails and Wagon Trains led by Paula and Terry Wright
- Oklahoma Land Rush led by Paula and Terry Wright
- Lewis and Clark Expedition led by Alison Andrus
- Immigrant Pioneers led by Paula and Terry Wright
- The Way West led by Paula and Terry Wright
This is for discussing and sharing tools to make WikiTree better. It includes external tools and the development of apps. This group is especially for those with technical skills.
Current Leader: Leader needed! Please contact Abby if you are a WikiTree Leader interested in leading this project.
For WikiTreers interested in the people who immigrated from Europe to Pennsylvania and the surrounding areas starting in 1682.
If you don't see a project above that fits your ancestors or interests, maybe you should lead the way and create one!
First see the list of pending projects below, and Starting a New Project.
Pending and Dormant Projects
Pending Projects are ideas for projects that someone wants to start, or projects that someone thinks should exist.
They should be listed here until they meet the requirements for starting a new project.
If there are project-protected profiles that don't yet have a project, list them here. Organize them by what potential project they would belong in.
If you'd be interested in participating in a project, add your name and any notes about what you would like to do.
- Nantucket - suggested by Darlene Athey Hill. The island of Nantucket was settled in the late 1650s by English Puritans who had grown discontented with the rule of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay. Surnames of the founders include: Barnard, Bunker, Coffin, Coleman, Greenleaf, Hussey, Look, Macy, Mayhew, Pike, Pile, Starbuck, Swain.
- Michigan Settlers: Leader needed! Please contact Abby if you are a WikiTree Leader interested in leading this project.
- Patentees of Monmouth: suggested by Kari Lemons
- Natural Disasters: suggested by Kitty Smith with subcategories such as Michael's Dust Bowl http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Category:Dust_Bowl. http://www.wikitree.com/g2g/138779/galveston-hurricane
- Gnadenhutten massacre, also known as the Moravian massacre 1782 Ohio Nae X
- 9/11 Project suggested by Tom Shaw and Matt Pryber
- World War II Veterans (see categories and Category:World War II Wikimuseum) http://www.wikitree.com/g2g/132809/project-for-first-world-war-Jacky I think this would be a great project, however it should be divided into two projects.
- Great Depression
- Jamestown Settlement- Suggested by Robin Lee see http://www.historyisfun.org/ I might jump in with you on this one.Gaulden-7 11:00, 21 April 2015 (EDT)
- Italian/Sicilian Roots Project-suggested by Michael Hruska, has plenty of interest once a Leader wants to lead it.
- Immigration to the US in the Late 1800s-suggested by Gaile Connolly; a project for a second "great migration" - the one from Europe in the late 1800's. Perhaps it could have subcategories for the Irish, Italian, and Jewish of varying nationalities, most of whom first settled in the lower east side of New York City.
- War of 1812- Terri Rick - Project Leader - Matt Pryber
- Japan project-Matt Pryber
- Jewish Roots/Hebrew Heritage- Chris Keener
- African-American Families- suggested by John Schmeekle
- West Indies Project: http://www.wikitree.com/g2g/120749/west-indies-genealogy-project
- Carignan Soldiers / Soldats du Régiment de Carignan. In 1665, 1 140 officers and soldiers from this regiment arrive in New France. In 1668 they were released and most of them returned home, This project is about the 325 that decided to stay in New France. - suggested by Guy Constantineau
This page was last modified 20:27, 27 July 2015. This page has been accessed 44,267 times.