|Two project leaders, Michael Stills and Peter Roberts, at RootsTech 2016.|
A project is a group of members organized around a topic or volunteer activity. There are "top-level" projects like the ones you see below, sub-projects, and free-space projects. See the Project FAQ for more information.
To see if an existing project fits your interests or ancestors, browse the list below or Category:Projects, which includes many sub-projects and free-space projects not listed here. There is also a subset of Pre-1700 Projects. Also feel free to contact a Volunteer Coordinator. Their mission to help members like you find a project that might interest you and if so, to introduce you to its leaders. The project leaders would love to have your help.
These are Projects that currently have active collaboration between participants and tagged discussions on G2G in the last three months.
The place for WikiTreers who want to improve WikiTree's coverage of the French settlers who came to Nova Scotia and the surrounding areas in the early 1600s, as well as their descendants.
WikiTree Adoption Angels are volunteers who have taken on the mission of helping adoptees look for and connect with their biological families.
Leader: Eowyn Langholf
WikiTree Ambassadors are volunteers who are active in social media and/or blogging and who are dedicated to helping share the WikiTree love!
Leader: Eowyn Langholf
WikiTree Arborists are volunteers who have taken on the mission of improving the overall health of our single world WikiTree, specifically seeking out and merging duplicate profiles.
Leader: Robin Lee
The Australia Project is a top-level Project for discussion and coordination of various sub-projects (below), and for development of new projects.
Leader: Paul Bech
- Anzacs led by Terry Wright and Irene Dillon
- Australian Convicts and First Settlers led by Paul Bech
- Bushrangers led by Paul Bech Terry Wright and Irene Dillon
- Cemeteries of Australia led by Paul Bech
- Eureka Stockade led by Paul Bech
- Explorers of Australia
To coordinate WikiTreers who are researching and improving WikiTree's coverage of families in the Bahamas.
Leader: Peter Roberts
A project focused on those ancestors and family members we sometimes wish...weren't. The outcasts, outlaws, and outlandish folks in our family trees.
- Bootleggers and Moonshiners This Project needs a coordinator. Please contact Carrie Quackenbush or Leigh Murrin if you're interested.
- Gangsters led by Carrie Quackenbush
- The Hatfields and McCoys led by Mary Richardson
- Outlaws led by Carrie Quackenbush
- PiratesThis Project needs a coordinator. Please contact Carrie Quackenbush or Leigh Murrin if you're interested.
- Spies and Traitors This Project needs a coordinator. Please contact Carrie Quackenbush or Leigh Murrin if you're interested.
- Witch Trials coordinated by Kyle Dane
For WikiTreers who are working on improving the profiles of the Canadian Prime Ministers, Fathers of Confederation, and other historical Canadian figures.
Leader: Erin Breen
- Alberta coordinated by Bob Jewett
- Empress of Ireland led by Guy Constantineau
- Filles du Roi led by Erin Breen
- First Peoples led by Erin Breen
- Grosse Ile led by Guy Constantineau
- Manitoba led by ... Coordinator needed; contact Erin if you're interested
- New Brunswick coordinated by Bob Jewett
- Nova Scotia led by Erin Breen
- United Empire Loyalist led by M. Gaulden
This project serves as a forum for researchers and descendants of people who lived in the Dutch Cape Colony (not to be confused with Cape Colony) during and after it was first settled under governorship of Jan van Riebeeck in 1652, until the British invasion in 1806.
Leader: Bea Wijma
To bring together WikiTreers who want to help manage the Categories and encourage their use.
A project focused on connecting all the loose branches around WikiTree to our main Global Family Tree.
A project for anyone who is Czech or of Czech descent.
Leader: This Project needs a Leader. Please contact Leader Liaison if you're interested.
For those interested in improving how WikiTree works for genetic genealogists and integrates DNA test information.
A project focused of profiles with Dutch connections, as well as working together to make WikiTree more Dutch friendly via the Nederlands Portaal.
The oldest and largest project on WikiTree, EuroAristo's focus is on the noble families of Europe, from as far back as there are reliable records, to the present day.
Leader: John Atkinson
- Royals and Aristocrats Prior to 742 led by Doug Straiton and John Atkinson
- British Isles Royals and Aristocrats 742-1499 led by Kathy Patterson
- European Royals and Aristocrats 742-1499 led by Doug Straiton and John Atkinson
- British Isles Royals and Aristocrats 1500-Present led by John Atkinson
- European Royals and Aristocrats 1500-Present led by John Atkinson
A project focused on the great photos that people upload to WikiTree, members nominate the most interesting new photos to show up in the past week, then choose a winner. Please become a Voting Member!
Leader: Eowyn Langholf
The objective of the German Roots Project is to create genealogies and biographies for those families that came from Germany and its population in Russia, Poland, Austria, and Switzerland.
Leader: Jacqueline Clark
Project Coordinator: Marlene Marx
- Volga Germans
- Bavaria coordinated by Michael Thomas
- Rhineland-Palatinate coordinated by Michael Thomas
The mission of the Global Cemeteries Project is to make WikiTree the preferred site for genealogists and family researchers to find and share information regarding the final resting places of our ancestors.
Leader: Paul Bech
- Canadian Cemeteries Leader needed; contact Paul
- European Cemeteries Leader/Coordinator needed; in the interim, contact Paul for help or to join
- Cemeteries of Oceania led by Paul Bech
- U.S. Cemeteries led by Lisa Franklin
The goal of this project is to work on ways to improve WikiTree as a global genealogy resource, and reach out to genealogists around the world.
Leader: This project needs a Leader. Please contact the Leader Liaison if you're interested.
A project to help people with foreign languages (such as interpreting foreign genealogy records), as well as investigating ways to make WikiTree more friendly to non-English speakers.
A friendly group of members who welcome new guest members and confirm those who volunteer to become Wiki Genealogists.
This project diligently works to make sure anything you need to know to succeed on WikiTree can be easily learned in our Help Pages and Index.
Leader: Maggie N.
This project is to document individuals who were involved in the European Holocaust coinciding with World War II.
This project focuses on the French Huguenots, Protestants living in Catholic France who migrated to other countries to avoid persecution.
Leader: Chet Snow
Project Coordinator: Sadie Whanger
For WikiTree users interested in profiles and sub-projects related to India.
Leader : Maria Maxwell
This project focuses on integrating WikiTree and the Genealogist-2-Genealogist Forum.
A project for WikiTreers with Irish ancestry.
A project focused on those with Italian Ancestry.
Project Coordinator: Michael Maranda
The Latin American Roots project is the place for anyone who has an interest in the history or genealogy of the 20 Latin American nations.
El Latin American Roots Project está abierto a cualquier persona que tenga un interés en la historia o genealogía de las 20 naciones de América Latina.
Leader: Patrick Barnum; you may communicate with him in either English or Spanish; puedes comunicarte con él ya sea en inglés o español.
- Chilean Roots led by Patrick Barnum.
This project focuses on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, including Mormon founders, LDS Pioneers, the Mormon Battalion, the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and prominent members past and present.
Leader: Eowyn Langholf
The goal of this project is to categorize and improve profiles of the twenty-five barons who were surety for Magna Carta, and the "illustrious men" named in the preamble, and their immediate families and descendants.
For WikiTreers who are working on the profiles of the Mayflower passengers and their immediate families.
Leader: Becky Syphers
Mentors are Wiki Genealogists who help and interact with new members in our community. Basically, we take over where the Greeters leave off. Mentors will play a big role in getting guests and new members going, as well as educating members through various means such as the G2G and the blog.
The purpose of the Mexican Roots Project is collaboration on profiles of individuals and families directly associated with Mexico. The Mexican Roots Project is open to anyone who has an interest in the history or genealogy of Mexico.
Leader: Patrick Barnum
The purpose of this project is to build profiles and pages for the various military and war related events in our ancestries.
- Roll of Honor led by Terri Rick
- 1776 Project, (American Revolutionary War) led by Kitty Smith and Michael Stills
- French and Indian War coordinated by Julia Ryan
- War of 1812 led by Terri Rick
- US Civil War: War Between the States led by Paula J
- Mexican American War
- Spanish-American War led by Jacqueline Clark
- The Great War 1914-1918 (World War I) led by Jacqueline Clark
- World War II coordinated by Mary Richardson and Julia Ryan
- Korean War coordinated by Julia Ryan
- Vietnam War coordinated by Julia Ryan and Mary Richardson
A project to help grow WikiTree through multimedia outreach-from things to use at conferences and speaking at your local library to G+ chats to video tutorials. We're always looking for great ideas and doers!
Leader: Paul Bech
A top-level project to manage and develop sub-projects according to tribe, event or other area of historical or cultural interest. The geographic scope will be lower 48 states plus Alaska in North America. The time frame will cover pre-colonial until the present.
Leader: Mags Gaulden
Project Coordinator:Marc Snelling
- Apache Tribe
- Cherokee Tribe
- Catawba Nation
- Chowtaw Tribe
- Comanche Tribe
- Creek Tribe
- Family of Powhatan
- Lakota Tribe
- Miami Tribe
- Pueblo Tribe
- Saponi Tribe
- Seneca Tribe
- Shawnee Tribe
- Shoshone Tribe
- Sioux Tribe
- US Southern Colonies Native Americans
- Wampanoag Tribe
This project focuses on New Netherland families who settled the area during Dutch rule. The period covered is through October 1674, but see the project page for more specific details on family connected before and after that time period.
Leader: Carrie Quackenbush
For WikiTree users interested in profiles related to New Zealand
Leader: Maria Maxwell
A project to help add and connect the people and families of Notables throughout history to our global tree.
For anyone who wants to pursue a One Name Study, allowing sharing and collaboration with other members while keeping the structure of the study using categories.
For people participating in one place studies and wanting to make the most of WikiTree categories and other features to support those studies.
Leader: Carrie Quackenbush
To bring together WikiTreers who love to make profiles beautiful and correct! We clean up messy biography sections and sources, and try to set standards for attractive, useful, and well-written biographies.
Leader: Anne B
- Collaborative Profile of the Week
- Unknowns Project led by Shirley Dalton
- Database Errors Project coordinated by Aleš Trtnik
A project for collaboration on profiles of individuals and families directly associated with Puerto Rico. The Puerto Rican Roots Project is open to anyone who has an interest in the history or genealogy of Puerto Rico.
For WikiTreers interested in the early Puritan colonists who started arriving after the Mayflower and form the 20-40k settlers who arrived in New England mostly between 1621 and 1640.
Focusing on those of the Quaker religion worldwide.
Leader: Andrea Powell
To bring together WikiTreers who are focusing on the French settlers who came to Quebec in the 17th century.
A Project for members who are interested in helping to prevent forest fires.
Leader: Eowyn Langholf
- Scottish Clans led by Doug Straiton, Maria Maxwell
- Scots in Foreign Service led by Doug Straiton
- Scots Abroad led by Doug Straiton
A group of WikiTreers who discuss, debate, and propose changes to WikiTree's styles and standards.
To coordinate WikiTreers who create and improve templates on WikiTree.
Leader: Rob Ton
A top-level Umbrella project covering the areas encompassed in the United Kingdom currently and historically, including the major areas of England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales
- Bermuda led by Mags Gaulden
- British Isles Politicians coordinated by Sir William Arbuthnot
- England led by Maria Maxwell
- Wales led by Maria Maxwell
- Cymru Welsh Royals and Aristocrats 742-1535 led by Vic Watt
- British Isles Royals and Aristocrats 1500-Present; British Peerage led by Coordinator or Leader needed
- British Isles Royals and Aristocrats 742-1499; Early British Peerage led by Kathy Patterson
A project to gather many of the US-related sub projects together, spanning from before the USA was a nation to it's current state.
- African-American Project
- Alabama Roots
- Cowboys and Cowgirls
- Homesteaders led by Alison Andrus
- Immigrant Pioneers
- Lewis and Clark Expedition led by Alison Andrus
- Louisiana Families led by Jacqueline Girouard, Liz Shifflett
- Michigan Settlers
- Pony Express led by Alison Andrus
- South Carolina
- Trails and Wagon Trains coordinated by Eric Daly
- United States Immigration
- The Way West
- Wild Wild West coordinated by Eric Daly
To coordinate the efforts of WikiTreers who are working to improve the profiles of the US presidents, their Vice Presidents, as well as their descendents and ancestors.
Covering ancestors who lived in the Southern Colonies of pre-1776 America.
Members who help other members get introduced to projects and collaborations.
Project Coordinator: Summer Orman
This is for discussing and sharing tools to make WikiTree better. It includes external tools and the development of apps. This group is especially for those with technical skills.
For WikiTreers interested in the people who immigrated from Europe to Pennsylvania and the surrounding areas starting in 1682.
Leader: Kitty Smith
For WikiTreers interested in the development of profiles for victims, survivors, rescue workers or humanitarian aid workers of all disasters all over the world from ancient until the present, as well as free-space pages detailing the events.
Leader: John Beardsley
If you don't see a project above that fits your ancestors or interests, maybe you should lead the way and create one!
First see the list of pending projects below, and Starting a New Project.
Pending and Dormant Projects
Pending Projects are ideas for projects that someone wants to start, or projects that someone thinks should exist.
They should be listed here until they meet the requirements for starting a new project.
If there are project-protected profiles that don't yet have a project, list them here. Organize them by what potential project they would belong in.
If you'd be interested in participating in a project, add your name and any notes about what you would like to do.
- Magyar Roots - Maggie
- Japan project-Matt Pryber
- Jewish Roots/Hebrew Heritage- Chris Keener, with Ashkenazi Heritage sub-project
- West Indies Project: http://www.wikitree.com/g2g/120749/west-indies-genealogy-project
- Refugees Project (possibly a sub-project elsewhere?)
This page was last modified 12:49, 26 May 2016. This page has been accessed 68,520 times.