Has a sibling born 1150!
Donald or Domhnall mac Raghnaill was the son of Reginald or Raghnaill mac Somerled, and grandson of Somhairle Mor MacGillebhride. This family is referred to by different titles including: King of the Isles, Lord of Argyll and Kintyre, and Lord of the Hebrides (Inchegal).
The surname Ragnaldsson is probably of Danish origin and is likely not the appropriate last name for this profile. The Annals of Ulster speak of "the sons of Raghnall, son of Somurlech" which is again likely Danish in origin. Scottish charters, written in latin, refer to "Douenaldus filius Reginaldi filii Sumerled" which also seems inappropriate. In Gaelic, the language of these people Donald would likely be known as "Domhnull mac Raonull" or Donald son of Ronald.
Birth, Death and Burial
There are no birth records that record Donald's birth but it seems he was likely born late in the 12th century. According to the Foundation for Medieval Genealogy he died on the Island of Kerrara about 1249, and is buried on the Isle of Iona. The final resting place of numerous chiefs and chieftans.
Like his birth, no record exists for his marriage, the name of his spouse has even been lost. His son [Macdonald-1569|Angus Mor]] was of age by 1241 so he was likely married prior to 1221.
The Kingdom of the Isles
Their territory was a sea kingdon on the west coast of Scotland comprised of hundreds of islands. The islands involved have a total land area of over 8,300 square kilometres (3,205 sq mi) and extend for more than 500 kilometres (310 mi) from north to south.Wikipedia
It is from Donald that the Clan Donald or MacDonald originate.
This WikiTree profile was created through merging one or more profiles either through imported GedComs or manual entry. Additionally, open profiles of historically significant people are subject to edits from many WikiTree managers. The following is a partial list of those who contributed to this profile :
- the import of David Rentschler Family Tree_2010-09-30.ged on 01 October 2010.
- the import of My-Family-13-Jun-2011.ged on Jun 13, 2011 by Kerry Langlands.
- the import of McDonald Family Tree_Wiki_2011-05-28.ged on May 29, 2011 by HB McDonald.
- the import of Rose Family Tree.ged on 21 March 2011.
- Steven Dumpert
- the import of Smith-Hunter.ged on 10 March 2011.
- the import of FAMILY 6162011.GED on Jun 20, 2011 by Michael Stephenson.
- the import of McQuery Family Tree.ged on 20 May 2011.
- the import of wikitree.ged on Aug 1, 2011 by Abby Brown.
Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions. If you want to review changes and contributors from pre-merged profiles, you need to access the Changes tab for each of the pre-merged profiles.
Domhnall was born about 1200. Domhnall mac Raghnaill ... 
This profile is a collaborative work-in-progress. Can you contribute information or sources?
- ↑ First-hand information as remembered by Michael Barnes, Wednesday, March 19, 2014. Replace this citation if there is another source.
- Add sources here.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Domhnall's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Abby Glann, Eugene Quigley, David Rentschler, Adam McQuery, Michael Barnes, Harold McDonald, and Steven Dumpert. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On March 27, 2014 Eugene Quigley wrote:
On November 2, 2013 Sheri Sturm wrote: