Eleanor married Robert W. Ellis in Rome, Kennebec County, Maine on 30 Apr 1840. This information is from the Elbel family tree on Ancestry.com. (2). Harris-837 19:06, 21 January 2014 (EST) This needs verification.
The 1850 and 1860 U.S. Census records show Eleanor and Robert and their family living in Rome, Maine. Robert is a farmer and Eleanor keeps house. (3,6,4)
With the recording of the 1850 U.S. Census, an interesting thing happens. The family gets recorded twice, with some variations. The first record, taken by census taker Wm. H. Ellis on 24 July 1850, shows Robert and his family living in Smithfield, Somerset, Maine. Robert is a farmer. (6)
Robert W Ellis 29
Elenor Ellis 28
Isaac Ellis 6
J Edward Ellis 9
Thomas Ellis 2
Ann Ellis 42
Harris-837: I suspect that the last person listed, "Ann Ellis [age] 42," is a transcription error, and that this is is actually Anna J[osephene], age shown as "4/12." The actual document shows the age as what could be read as "4/12." As further proof, there is an "Anna J.," age 10, in the 1860 U.S. Census for this family. (4)
Six days later, the family is recorded a second time in the 1850 U.S. Census on July 30, 1850 by census taker Thos. Eldred for Rome, Kennebec, Maine. (3) They are living next to Joseph and Joanna Rankins', Elenor's parents, and their family. This second record for Robert and Elenor's family shows:
Robert W Ellis M 29 Maine
Elenor Ellis F 28 Maine
Edward Ellis M 8 Maine
Isaac Ellis M 7 Maine
Thomas Ellis M 4 Maine
Josaphene Ellis F 0 Maine
The 1860 U.S. Federal Census shows Robert and his family living in Rome, Maine. (4)
Robert W Ellis, farmer, 39
Ellanor Ellis 38
Thos R Ellis 12
Anna J Ellis 10
Deasco J Ellis 8
Hellen M Ellis 5
Henry H Ellis 3
I am making the assumption that "Deasco" is some variation/misspelling of Ellis-4473 Oscar J. Ellis, born about 1852.
The 1870 Federal Census shows Robert, Eleanor, and five of their children living in Willow, Cherokee, Iowa:
Robert Ellis (farmer) 50
Elenore Ellis 48
Hellen Ellis 15
Henry H Ellis 12
Corris B Ellis 8
Elsworth Ellis 6
Robert Ellis 2
In the 1885 Iowa State Census, Eleanor (Elnora) is widowed, age "53" (should be 63), and living with her son Edward J. Ellis, age 43 and a farmer, and his wife Fenda, age 42. They live in Pilot, Cherokee, Iowa. The women keep house. (7)
In the 1910 U.S. Federal Census, Eleanor is living in the household of her daughter, Cora B., now married to Silas Wedlock. (Eleanor tells the census taker that her parents were born in New Hampshire. She also states that she has given birth to a total of 10 children). They live in Milford, Crawford, Iowa, and the household consists of:
Silas F Wedlock 49
Cora B Wedlock 47
Harold A Wedlock 10
Eleanor B Elles 87
James F Wedlock 80 (8)
Eleanor died 6 Jan 1914. She is buried, together with her husband Robert W. Ellis at the Oak Hill Cemetery, Cherokee, Cherokee County, Iowa. (2, 9)
1. Ancestry.com. Massachusetts, Death Records, 1841-1915 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Original data: Massachusetts Vital Records, 1840–1911. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts. Massachusetts Vital Records, 1911–1915. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts.
2. Elbel Family Tree, Ancestry.com: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/7294535/person/-1124707372. Accessed 21 Jan 2014.
3. Year: 1850; Census Place: Rome, Kennebec, Maine; Roll: M432_256; Page: 138A; Image: 278. Ancestry.com. 1850 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
4. Year: 1860; Census Place: Rome, Kennebec, Maine; Roll: M653_439; Page: 320; Image: 321; Family History Library Film: 803439. Ancestry.com. 1860 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
5. Year: 1870; Census Place: Willow, Cherokee, Iowa; Roll: M593_381; Page: 478B; Image: 182; Family History Library Film: 545880. Ancestry.com. 1870 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch
6. Year: 1850; Census Place: Smithfield, Somerset, Maine; Roll: M432_269; Page: 76A; Image: 154. Ancestry.com. 1850 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
7. Ancestry.com. Iowa, State Census Collection, 1836-1925 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007. Original data: Microfilm of Iowa State Censuses, 1856, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925 as well various special censuses from 1836-1897 obtained from the State Historical Society of Iowa via Heritage Quest.
8. Year: 1910; Census Place: Milford, Crawford, Iowa; Roll: T624_399; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 0073; FHL microfilm: 1374412. Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.
9. Robert and Eleanor Rankins Ellis gravestone, in the Oak Hill Cemetery, Cherokee, Cherokee County, Iowa. From Our Iowa Family: Robert W. Ellis and Eleanor R. Rankins at http://www.elbel.org/family/goff/oif-files/ellis-rankins.htm. Accessed 1 Mar 2014.
On March 1, 2014 Clair Zarges wrote:
Login to add your own memory.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Eleanor's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.