Deborah's first husband, John Rogers, deserted her in 1725. In 1727, she heard of Rogers' death and began dating her former sweetheart, Ben Franklin. Franklin had proposed to her when she was just 15, but her mother would not allow it.
She married Ben Franklin in 1730 (1 SEP 1728/9? ).
They had two children together, Francis Folger Franklin, and Sarah Franklin Bache. They also raised William Franklin together, Franklin's illegitimate son.
She operated a general store out of the front of Ben's print shop.
Her fear of ocean voyages prevented her from traveling with Ben, so she spent many years alone in Philadelphia while Ben was in Europe. In 1774, while Ben was on an extended trip to England, she died unexpectedly of a stroke.
- Sources needed!
- WikiTree profile Read-725 created through the import of HERMANSON_RICHARDSON.ged on Sep 13, 2011 by John Hermanson. See the Changes page for the details of edits by John and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Deborah's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Ken Broughton, Charlene Sue Chambers, and Chérie Naegele. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On December 27, 2013 at 20:02GMT Jeanne Aloia wrote:
Thank You! Jeanne