- George Rhodes's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
George was married twice. His first wife, who he wed on January 19, 1837, in Daviess County, Kentucky, was Lucy Jane Dawson. She died in November of 1860 in Daviess County.
He then wed Elizabeth Phillips on May 14, 1861. She had been married twice before the marriage to George and was married as Elizabeth Lyons.
George, with his brother John A., helped settle their father's estate. Although it is likely their father died before 1840, when he disappeared from the census, it appears his estate was not settled until the death of his wife, John and George's mother. The administration bond was filed on January 10, 1848. on Daviess County, Kentucky. Also signing as sureties were Michael D. Wells and Moses P. Fuque.
He passed away on August 20, 1881, in Whitesville, Daviess County, Kentucky. He is buried at the Cates Cemetery, Whitesville, Daviess County, Kentucky. A memorial page has been established on Find A Grave.
Do you have information about George W. Rhodes? Please contribute to his biography. Everything on WikiTree is a collaborative work-in-progress.
April 30, 1831 - Birth - Washington County, Kentucky.
1840 - Marion County Tax List - George W. no land, 1 wm over 21.
1841 - Marion County Tax List - On the 1841 Marion County tax list, George is listed with no land and 1 white male over 21.
1850 - United States Federal Census - In the 1850 census, George W. Rhodes, 37, is living in District 1, Daviess County, Kentucky with his wife, Jane D. Rhodes, 32. With them are their children Elizth M. Rhodes, 13; Nancy J. Rhodes, 12; James D. Rhodes, 11; Valentine Rhodes, 5; and Mary F. Rhodes, 2. Also living with the family is John Brown, 17.
1860 - United States Federal Census - In 1860, George is enumerated as G. W. Rhodes, 47; living in District 1, Daviess Co., Kentucky, with his wife, Lucy J., 42. Their mailing address was Owensboro. Living with them were their children, Nancy J. Rhodes, 20; James B. Rhodes, 19; Volentine Rhodes, 12; Mary F. Rhodes, 10, George S. Rhodes, 8; and Rebeca Rhodes, 6.
1870 - United States Federal Census - By 1870, George's first wife had died and he had remarried. George, 57, is enumerated with his children, George S, 20; and Rebecca, 18. Also enumerated in an Elizabeth, who I believe is his second wife, but her age is given as 18. She should be in her 50s.
1880 - United States Federal Census - In the 1880 census, George Rhodes, 66, is living with his wife, Elizabeth Rhodes, 63, in Boston, Daviess County, Kentucky. Living with them are John Blanford, 22, and Annie Baker, 20. George was farming. Blanford and Baker are listed as servants.
August 20, 1881 - Death - Whitesville, Daviess County, Kentucky.
- ↑ Inter-State Publishing Company, editor, History of Daviess County, Kentucky: together with sketches of its cities, villages and townships, educational, religious, civil, military, and political history, portraits of prominent persons, biographies of representative citizens, and an outline History of Kentucky (Chicago, Illinois: Inter-State Publishing Company, 1883), p. 551.
- ↑ Daviess, Kentucky, Probate Records 1792-1977, Administrator bonds, 1834-1852, Vol. 1-A: p. 123, James Rhodes; FHL microfilm, item 243.
- ↑ Marion, Kentucky, Marion, 1840 Tax Book, p. 39, entry for George W. Rhodes; FHL microfilm 8,133.
- ↑ Marion, Kentucky, Marion, 1841 Tax Book, p. 17, entry for Geo W. Rhodes; FHL microfilm 8,133.
- ↑ 1850 U.S. census, Daviess, Kentucky, population schedule, District 1, p. 402 stamped, dwelling illegible dwelling number, family 831, George W Whodes; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm M432, roll 198.
- ↑ 1860 U.S. census, Daviess, Kentucky, population schedule, District 1, p. 91, dwelling 738, family 738, G W Rhodes; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 31 Mar 2013); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm M653, roll 364.
- ↑ 1870 U.S. census, Daviess, Kentucky, population schedule, Boston, p. 26, dwelling 179, family 179, George Rhodes; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm M593, roll 458.
- ↑ 1880 U.S. census, Daviess, Kentucky, population schedule, Boston, enumeration district (ED) 172, p. 374 stamped, dwelling 17, family 17, George Rhodes; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T9, roll 411.
Thanks to Jackie King for starting this profile.
Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Jackie and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of George's ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.