Consort Euphemia is listed, marrying Robert II on the 2 May 1355. His first marriage was declared illegitimate, as he & Elizabeth Mure were too closely related. Their 9 children were declared illegitimate. Robert married Euphemia with dispensation. They had 4 children. She was Countess of Moray and Queen of Scotland, crowned in 1355.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Euphemia de Ross (died 1386) was the second wife and first Queen consort of Robert II of Scotland, and a member of Clan Ross.
Euphemia was a daughter of Hugh, Earl of Ross and Margaret de Graham, Hugh's second wife and daughter of Sir David de Graham of Montrose. She first married John Randolph, 3rd Earl of Moray but the marriage was childless. Her husband died in 1346 and she remained a widow for nine years.
On 2 May 1355, Euphemia married Robert Stewart, sole son of Walter Stewart, 6th High Steward of Scotland and Marjorie Bruce. Marjorie was a daughter of Robert I of Scotland and his first wife Isabella of Mar.
It appears that there was an obstacle of affinity to this second marriage, and a papal dispensation by Pope Innocent VI was required for it to be recognized by the Catholic Church. However, there is some doubt about exactly what the affinity between them was. The children of Robert's first marriage to Elizabeth Mure were considered illegitimate by some due to reasons of consanguinity. Both sets of children from each marriage considered themselves rightful heirs to the throne, which constituted considerable future conflict.
Euphemia and Robert were parents to four children:
David Stewart, 1st Earl of Caithness (d. bef. 1389) Walter Stewart, 1st Earl of Atholl (d. 1437) Elizabeth Stewart Egidia Stewart, married 1387 Sir William Douglas of Nithsdale
Robert II succeeded his childless maternal uncle David II of Scotland in 1371. Euphemia became his Queen and served in this position for about fifteen years, until her death in 1386.
This biography was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import. It's a rough draft and needs to be edited.
- User ID: EA2E1DFB-0B2B-4984-AE0B-FA2086CC2B50
- Record ID Number: MH:IF1562
- User ID: 05D84E98-4B34-4E0C-AA5C-419CA4DD0D32
- Record ID Number: MH:IF1563
Record ID Number
- Record ID Number: MH:I736
- User ID: 58C2CA2D-89F6-4556-96F2-3EBBEC48A982
- UPD 22 DEC 2010 22:12:10 GMT+-0
Thank you to Colin Mcdonald for creating WikiTree profile Ross Of Moray-1 through the import of COCO2013.GED on Jun 25, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Colin and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Euphemia's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Gay Brown, Allan Stuart, Doug Stewart, Adam McQuery, R Bartoush, Alan MacLeod, Tim O'Bryan, Robert Garcia, and Herb Henderson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On July 1, 2016 at 13:47GMT Gay Brown wrote:
On June 30, 2016 at 22:59GMT John Atkinson wrote:
On September 22, 2015 at 23:51GMT Doug Stewart wrote:
On March 16, 2015 at 02:24GMT Anonymous Carroll wrote:
Euphemia (Ross) (Ross-7170) & Euphemia (Ross) (Ross-649 they appear to be the same person. Note: 1. Husband, father, and mother are the same. Birth and death dates are different.
2. Possible merge needed for Euphemia's daughters of Catherine & Elizabeth Euphemia (Ross) (Ross-7170), daughter Catherine Stewart, (Stewart-12938). Euphemia (Ross) (Ross-649), Elizabeth (Stewart) Lindsay, (Stewart-965)
3. Possible merge needed for the husband of both Catherine & Elizabeth Husband of Catherine Stewart (Stewart-12938 is David Lindsay (Lindsay-1988). Husband of Elizabeth (Stewart) Lindsay, (Stewart-965), is David Lindsay (Lindsay-154).
On March 9, 2013 at 06:32GMT Sheri Sturm wrote:
Child: Elizabeth Catherine Scotland Countess Stewart
Child: Egidia Jill Fair Maid of Nithsdale Stewart
Child: Margaret Stewart
Child: Walter Stewart
Child: David Earl Palatine Strathearn and Stewart
On March 9, 2013 at 06:30GMT Sheri Sturm wrote:
Child: David Stewart Child: Catherine (Jean) Stewart Child: Egidia (Jill) Stewart Child: Walter Stewart Marriage: Date: 02 MAY 1355, Place: Dispensation, Scotland
Husband: Walter Stewart Wife: Marjorie Bruce Child: Robert Stewart
Marriage: Date: BET 02 MAR 1314 AND 1315 Place: Scotland
Euphemia is 21 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 42 degrees from Anne Frank, 24 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 22 degrees from Abraham Stoker and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.