Colonel Robert Ruffin (John,Robert,Robert,William)
Robert married 6 September 1751 at Brunswick County, Virginia, as her second, to Mary Elizabeth (Clack) Lightfoot, widow of Col. John Lightfoot of the Sandy Point Lightfoots. She was described as a very beautiful woman who had consumption for fifty years.
Children of Robert and Mary Elizabeth:
- John Ruffin
- Mary Ruffin
- Lucy Ruffin
- William H. Ruffin
- James B. Ruffin
- Martha Ruffin
- Sterling Clack Ruffin
"Mayfield," Dinwiddie County, Virginia
"Sweet Hall," King William County, Virginia
After his daughters had married Clairbornes, he removed to Sweet Hall on the Pamunkey river. Another nearby property he owned Turcoman, was later owned by his son Sterling.
Robert and Mary were in King William County by 15 January 1771 when they sold 525 acres she had inherited from her father to Britain Peebles.
Robert Ruffin, Esq. offered "Sweet Hall" for sale in 1773, a plantation of 400 acres.
Surveyor of Boundaries
With Sterling Thornton, Ruffin processioned the boundaries of farms from Indian Town Run to the parish line in 1763. His walking partner was Roger Atkinson in 1767.
Virginia House of Burgesses
Robert represented Dinwiddie County in the Virginia House of Burgesses (1758-61).
Robert was made Colonel in 1775.
Death and Legacy
Robert died in 1777 at "Sweet Hall," King William County, Virginia.
- ↑ Moore, May C., "Letter from May Carlton Moore to Olie Garrett," June 25, 1961, Private property of Pat Iverson
- ↑ "Ruffin Family" The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 18, No. 4 (Apr., 1910), pp. 251-258, Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, Web accessed August 10, 2014
- Mississippi Daughters and Their Ancestors, p. 215
- Bond, O. Z., The Family Chronicles and Kinship Book p 604. Name, marriage date, birth & death places
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Robert's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On August 10, 2014 Cynthia Billups wrote: