Gerardus was born in 1740. Gerardus Ryker ... He passed away in 1781.
- Note: Gerardus Ryker was listed as a cordwainer at the time of his marriage in New York in 1762. He immigrated to Kentucky in 1780 from Berkeley Co., VA and was part of the "Low Dutch Colony" in Shelby and Henry Counties in Kentucky. He was killed by Indians in the Long Run Massacre, also known as Floyd's Defeat, September 15, 1781 near Eastwood in Jefferson County, Kentucky.  The Long Run massacre was a major incident in the series of battles in which early settlers in Kentucky fought Indians and their British allies on the western frontier during the Revolutionary War. Long Run is located near Eastwood in Jefferson County, Kentucky. In September 1781 Maj. Bland Ballard discovered Indian signs near Squire Boone's Painted Stone Station, near what is now Shelbyville. He warned the settlers there and at Beargrass Station to move to Lynn Station, which was a more secure area. For unknown reasons, Boone's and several other families delayed moving for two days. When they finally left the station on September 14, 1781, they were surrounded at Long Run Creek by a large party of Indians reinforced by British soldiers under the command of Capt. Alexander McKee. An estimated sixty people were killed by the Indians; only a handful, including Squire Boone, escaped. 
- Died September 15, 1781 in "Long Run Massacre", Eastwood, KY
- Died September 15, 1781 in Bullskin, Shelby, Kentucky, United States
- Note: Painted Rock Station, the site of the original attack, was part of Jefferson County, Kentucky, when it was settled. The site of the massacre is just over the county line in Jefferson, while the station is now located in Shelby county. See sources below for details.
- ↑ From [UL:The Kentucky Encyclopedia:UL] edited by John E. Kleber (University Press of Kentucky, 1992): LONG RUN MASSACRE.
- ↑ See Lou Catherine Ciore, "Long Run Massacre, Register 10 (Jan. 1912): 75-6.
- ↑ The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- ↑ not sourced
- See also:
- Shelby County History, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015), Part II, Ch. 1, Boone's Station
- Eastwood Village Council, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015),
- The Long Run Massacre, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015),
- A Story of the Pioneers At Squire Boones Station, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015),
- The Order of the Indian Wars of the United States, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015), Ancestor Series, "The Hardships of John Van Cleave and Family", by McClernand B. Crawford
- Painted Rock Station, database online, (accessed 1 Jan 2015), US Gazetteer, KYHometownLocator
- This profile was created through the import of LaBach Family TreeApril28_2011.ged on 05 May 2011.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Gerardus's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Steven Mix and Maryrose Scott. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On November 29, 2014 at 23:07GMT Catherine V wrote: