in Closter, NJ
in "Long Run Massacre", Eastwood, KY
This page has been accessed 387 times.
This person was created through the import of LaBach Family TreeApril28_2011.ged on 05 May 2011. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
- User ID: 5D8AE8CCDFF3464D915D300C6DCFCFC6FB3C
- Note: Gerardus Ryker was listed as a cordwainer at the time of his marriage
- in New York in 1762. He immigrated to Kentucky in 1780 from Berkeley
- Co., VA and was part of the "Low Dutch Colony" in Shelby and Henry
- Counties in Kentucky. He was killed by Indians in the Long Run
- Massacre, also known as Floyd's Defeat, September 15, 1781 near
- Eastwood in Jefferson County, Kentucky. From [UL:The Kentucky
- Encyclopedia:UL] edited by John E. Kleber (University Press of
- Kentucky, 1992): LONG RUN MASSACRE. The Long Run massacre was a major
- incident in the series of battles in which early settlers in Kentucky
- fought Indians and their British allies on the western frontier during
- the Revolutionary War. Long Run is located near Eastwood in Jefferson
- County, Kentucky. In September 1781 Maj. Bland Ballard discovered
- Indian signs near Squire Boone's Painted Stone Station, near what is
- now Shelbyville. He warned the settlers there and at Beargrass Station
- to move to Lynn Station, which was a more secure area. For unknown
- reasons, Boone's and several other families delayed moving for two
- days. When they finally left the station on September 14, 1781, they
- were surrounded at Long Run Creek by a large party of Indians
- reinforced by British soldiers under the command of Capt. Alexander
- McKee. An estimated sixty people were killed by the Indians; only a
- handful, including Squire Boone, escaped. See Lou Catherine Ciore,
- "Long Run Massacre, Register 10 (Jan. 1912): 75-6.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Gerardus's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
If you have taken a DNA test for genealogy please login and enter it.
For public comments, here are the options:
- Public Bulletin Board: You need to be a logged-in community member to post bulletin board comments for the family. (Best for comments about Gerardus Ryker directed to WikiTree users watching this profile. Limit of 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear here and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist Q&A Forum. (Best for questions about Gerardus Ryker directed to our genealogy community.)
- Private Message: You can also send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
There are no bulletin board comments yet.