- Mary (Scott) Washington's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Dame Mary Scott was born in 1546 at Scot's Hall (aka Scott's Hall), near Ashford, Kent, England. She was the daughter of Sir Reginald Scott (1538-1599, a Member of Parliament) and his wife, Mary (Tuke) Scott, prominent members of the English gentry-class aristocracy. Her lineage could be traced back to King William the Conqueror, and Holy Roman Emperor, Charlemagne. The Scott and Tuke families had been large landowners in the south-east county of Kent, England, since at least the 11th Century.
Mary Scott married childless widower Richard Argall, Esquire, b: 1536 in London, in 1568 at Boughton Malherb, Kent, England as his 2nd wife. He was also the lord of East Sutton Park Manor near Maidstone, Kent, England.
Richard and Mary (Scott) Argall had the following 11 children:
- Elizabeth Argall, born in 1570 [at Scot's Hall] and died on 9 August 1630 in East Sutton, Kent, England and is buried there. She married Sir Edward Filmer of Kent in 1585 at 15 years old and had eighteen children, 9 boys & 9 girls, most of who survived infancy.
- Thomas Argall, born 1572 in East Sutton, Kent, England, died 4 March 1605 at Chingford, Essex, England and buried in East Sutton Park Richard Argall died in 1588 in East Sutton, Kent, England. Mary Scott Argall died in 1605 in Maidstone, Kent, England. He married Katherine Bocking. They had no children. Thomas was a lawyer.
- Sir Reginald Argall born 1574 in East Sutton, Kent England, died by 2 December 1611 in Walthamstowe, Essex, England. He married Anne Cheyney, 7 April 1599. They had no children. He was knighted at Hampton Court 1609. His wife had children from a previous marriage.
- Richard Argall was born in November 1576 in East Sutton, Kent, England, christened 4 December 1580 and died 31 March 1614, in Colchester, Essex, England. He never married.
- Samuel Argall was born in November 1580 in East, Sutton, Kent England. christened 4 December 1580, Canterbury, Kent, England. He was a mariner, adventurer, and early Governor of Virginia. He died aboard ship and was buried at sea 28 January 1626. Knighted in 1622 at Rochester. He came to Virginia as a trader in 1609. He captured Pocahontas.
- John Argall was born in 1577 in East Sutton, Kent England and died 3 March 1642, in Great Baddow, Essex, England and was buried there. He married Sarah Grant in London in 1604. They had three children.
- Catherine Argall was born circa 1581 in East Sutton, Kent England and was still alive in 1625. She married Randolph (Raynold) Bathurst Esquire of Horton, Kent, England.
- Jane Argall was born circa 1579 in East Sutton, Kent, England. She died 5 May 1645. She married Sir Paul Fleetwood (Fletewood) of Roshall, Lancenshire, England about 1604.
- Sarah Argall was born about 1583 in East Sutton, Kent, England
- Margaret Argall was born in 1571 in East Sutton, Kent, England. She died 20 September 1609 in Aylesford, Kent, England. She married Edmund Randolfe, Esquire.
- Mary Argall was born 1572 in East Sutton, Kent, England, christened 2 November 1572 and died in 1617. She married Reginald (Raynold) Kempe, Esquire, of Wye, Kent, England 11 December 1590 in Wye, Kent, England
Richard Argall died in East Sutton, Kent, England, in 1588. His widow, Mary (Scott) Argall, re-married to Lawrence Washington, Jr., Esq. a few years later. She died in Maidstone, Kent, England, on February 11, 1605, and was buried in East Sutton, next to Richard Argall, her first husband.
- ↑ Neale's Argalls Genealogy
- ↑ Lawrence, Jr., was an ancestor of George Washington, 1st President of the United States, through a son from his 1st marriage. Mary & Lawrence Washington had no children together.
- ↑ Families of Sequoyah County, OK & Others on RootsWeb - Mary Scott See also: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=pubmembertrees&h=12485426952&indiv=try
- Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd edition 2011, Vol II page 165
- Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry-Richardson, p. 311.
- Aileen Lewers Langston and J. Orton Buck Jr, Charlemagne's Descendants-II, p. 28.
- WikiTree profile Scott-2035 was created through the import of Holmes.ged on 20 May 2011.
- Thank you to Daivd Barnhardt for creating WikiTree profile Scott-6927 through the import of 3-4-2013.GED on Mar 4, 2013.
- WikiTree profile Scott-2338 was created through the import of FISCUS Family Tree.ged on Jun 6, 2011 by Liisa Small.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Mary's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Chet Snow, Donald Gradeless, and Daivd Barnhardt. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On May 16, 2016 at 23:11GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On January 27, 2014 at 21:48GMT J Pictet wrote:
Mary is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 31 degrees from Gene Kelly, 22 degrees from Bram Stoker and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.