- Abraham Shaw's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
- 14 NOV 1585 Northowram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England
- Clothier, Indentured Servant, Farmer
- Place: Dedham, Massachusetts Bay Colony
- Came to Watertown, MA from England in 1635 on the Anne. Became Freeman in 1637.
- House burned down in Oct. 1636 and they moved to Dedham.
- In Feb. 1637, he was granted 60 acres and the right to build a corn mill, and was one of the men appointed to govern the town. Freeman, 1637; constable, 1638.
He died at Dedham (Norfolk County), Massachusetts, some time after 10 October 1638, when he sold some land at Dedham, and before 25 March 1639, when town records described him as deceased. In 1639, his administrators sold his estate.
- Old Village Cemetery,Dedham, Norfolk County, Massachusetts
ABRAHAM SHAWE.. The last will & Testament of Abraham Shawe deceased. Memorandum that if it please Almyghtye God to take me to his rnercye by death. That it is my minde & will that my estate shal be disposed of as followeth (that is to say) I bequeathe to my sonne John, & Martha Shawe, beinge infants ten pownds betweene them, also betweene the aforesd Martha & Marye I leave as much quicke goods as shal be balance to eight pownds, also to Joseph in some goods twelve pownds as may be thought fitt: furder, that Joseph & John shall have my lott att Dedham equally to be devided between them. Also that all the rest of my estate whatsoever be devided, proportionate, betwene all my childron. Witnesses Nicolas Biram Joseph Shawe. These psons were ordered to make an Inventorye of the estate by the helpe & advice of Mr. Edward Allen. 
Ancestral File Number
- NEHGR: The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, MA) 1848, Vol. 2, p. 180
- Frost, Josephine C. Ancestors of Amyntas Shaw and His Wife Lucy Tufts Williams. In: Ancestors of Amyntas Shaw and His Wife Lucy Tufts Williams, Showing Mayflower Lines Never Before Published from Myles Standish, John Alden, William Mullines and Thomas Rogers. Mrs. Isabella Marion Shaw Knowlton, compiler. 1920. Page 5
- Ancestral File (R) Title: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Ancestral File (R) (Copyright (c) 1987, June 1998, data as of 5 January 1998)
- Ancestry Family Trees - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=8570615&pid=-386268453
- ↑ POPE, CHARLES HENRY. The Pioneers of Massachusetts, A Descriptive List, Drawn from Records of the Colonies, Towns and Churches, and other Contemporaneous Documents. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1998 pg 410
- ↑ HOLMES, FRANK R., COMPILER. Directory of the Ancestral Heads of New England Families, 1620-1700. New York, 1923. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co, Baltimore, 1964. pg 214
- ↑ FARMER, JOHN. A Genealogical Register of the First Settlers of New-England; Containing an Alphabetical List of the Governours, Deputy-Governours, Assistants or Counsellors, and Ministers of the Gospel in the Several Colonies, from 1620 to 1692; Graduates of Harvard College to 1662; Members of the Ancient and Honourable Artillery Company to 1662; Freemen Admitted to the Massachusetts Colony from 1630 to 1662; With Many Other of the Early Inhabitants of New-England pg 261
- ↑ Gale Research, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s (Provo, UT, USA, The Generations Network, Inc., 2006), www.ancestry.com, Place: Dedham, Massachusetts; Year: 1637; Page Number: 261. Record for Abraham Shaw. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=pili354&h=902380&indiv=try
- ↑ Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988 (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011), Ancestry.com, Record for Abraham Shaw. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=MATownVital&h=77926489&indiv=try
- ↑ U.S., New England Marriages Prior to 1700 (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2012), Ancestry.com, Record for Abraham Shaw. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=NewEnglandMarriages&h=66757&indiv=try
- ↑ Torrey, Clarence A. New England Marriages Prior to 1700. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2004. pg 664
- ↑ Frost, Page 5
- ↑ Genealogical Dictionary of New England Settlers (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1997), Ancestry.com, Record for Shaw, Abraham. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=nedict&h=6861&indiv=try
- ↑ Findagrave
- ↑ NEHGR: Vol. 2, p. 180
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Abraham's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Darrell Parker, Eugene Quigley, Richard Draper, Cara Johnson, Jamie Swindells, Tom Rhodes, Judi Engle, Abigail Shaw, and Rhonda Scoullar. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On October 3, 2015 at 05:25GMT Kitty Smith wrote:
On August 30, 2015 at 23:31GMT Eugene Quigley wrote:
On August 28, 2015 at 18:50GMT Ellen Smith wrote:
1. Responding to your email from a non-Wiki person in re: Abraham Shaw. I have his father as THOMAS, MOTHER Elizabeth L. Longbotham, m. to Elizabeth Best, dau. of Henry and Grace Boithes. Lots more on Best and Boithes antecedents, nothing on Shaw or Longbotham.
2, There seems to be some mixup about what children this couple had. The link your correspondent gave shows that Thos. had two marriages and that Abraham is not the son of E. Longbotham. She is shown in one place with a son, John and on Wiki w/both Abraham and a Mary. I have a Susannah b. 1617. Guess it is back to researching more...
On August 28, 2015 at 13:25GMT Ellen Smith wrote:
"There seems to be something that needs confirming with the parents of Abraham Shaw who married Bridget Best. The below link site says his parents were Thomas Shaw and Agnes Smith, instead of Thomas Shaw and Elizabeth Longbottom. There appears a generation is missing from Thomas and son Thomas and Abraham Shaw here. Any comment ? Also, Elizabeth's last name is spelled different. This site I've been told is a pretty good sourced site is Royal Ancestry. http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2389.htm#i71790 "
I don't have any information on this, so I post it here for the attention of profile managers and others. I believe the cited website is a good source only when it names a solid source. No source is cited on the record for Abraham Shaw.
On December 24, 2013 at 12:30GMT Eugene Quigley wrote:
This portion set apart in 1636. Enlarged in 1638. It was the only burial place for nearly a century. Here were buried Allin Adams Belcher Dexter and Haven ministers of the church and Alleyne Lusher Dwight and Fisher with other founders of the town.
I have attempted to contact the Find a Grave contributor and asked if the info is from a gravestone transcription or other source. I will follow up if and when he responds.
On December 24, 2013 at 03:31GMT Merilyn Pedrick wrote:
Abraham is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 36 degrees from Anne Frank, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 26 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.