- Elisha Sheldon's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Elisha Sheldon was born in 1761 in Bernardston, Massachusetts to Amasa Sheldon 35 and Sara Bardwell 34. He married Elizabeth Wells, his third cousin, daughter of Elisha Wells and Abigail Brook on 27 Feb., 1782.
In 1782 he also served in the American Revolution in the Continental Army under Capt. Ebenezer Smith, At Verplanck's Point, New York. In 1783 he served under Capt. Simon Jackson of Col. Henry Jackson's Continental Regiment.
Sometime after he and Elizabeth were married in 1786, they emigrated to New York, first to Ontario County, then to Orleans County. The 1790 Census shows an Elisha Sheldon living in Bernardston, MA with 2 males under 16, 1 male over 16 and 3 females.
"A History of Deerfield" by George Sheldon, states Elisha drowned in the Connecticut River in Vernon, Windham, Vermont in 1798. This information is incorrect. He, in fact, lived another 43 years, per Pine Hill Cemetery Records. and census records.
The August 7, 1820 census shows an Elisha Sheldon living in Ontario County, New York.
- 1- Male - 10 thru 15 (Amasa b. 1804)
- 1 - Males - 45 and over (Elisha b. 1761)
- 1 - Female - 10 thru 15 (Miranda b. 1806)
- 2 - Females - 16 thru 25 (Betsy b. 1795, Experience b. 1802)
- 1 - Female - 45 and over (Elizabeth Wells)
On January 30, 1822, Elisha received title to 85 acres of land in Orleans County. Neighbors included Isaac Hoag, Joseph Hoag, and William Wilson
- F Diodorus Sheldon 1786–1812 (son of Elisha Sheldon or of first husband Joseph Simmons)
- Lydia Sheldon Patrick 1794–1852
- Benjamin F Sheldon Reverend 1794–1856
- Elizabeth "Betsy" Sheldon Trowbridge 1795–1831
- Harriet Sheldon 1798–
- Elisha Wells Sheldon Judge 1800–1891
- Experience Sheldon 1802–1880 (never married)
- Amasa Sheldon 1804–1872
- Miranda * Sheldon McNeal, Needham 1806–1890
"History of the Town of Bernardston, Franklin County, Massachusetts". 1736 - 1900. by Lucy Cutler Kellogg states that Elisha Sheldon was a Dorrellite.
- Note: DORRELLITES, the followers of Dorrel, a sectary, who appeared at Leyden in Massachusetts in 1797, and pretended to be a prophet, sent to supersede the dispensation of Jesus Christ, and claimed divine worship in his stead. It appears, from an account of his tenets, which was taken down from his own mouth, by the Rev. John Taylor of Deerfield, that he denied the foreknowledge of God, and his almighty power. "Jesus Christ," said he, "is to substance a spirit, and is God. He took a body, died, and never rose from the dead. None of the human race will ever rise from their graves. The resurrection spoken of in scripture, is only one from sin to spiritual life, which consists in perfect obedience to God. Written revelation is a type of the substance of the true revelation, which God makes to those whom he raises from spiritual death. The substance is God revealed in the soul; those who have it are perfect, are incapable of sinning, and have nothing to do with the Bible." Dorrel denied future judgment; and asserted, that neither prayer nor any other worship is necessary.
- 1790 United States Federal Census
- 1820 United States Federal Census
- 1830 United States Federal Census
- 1840 United States Federal Census
- American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI), Gen. Column of the " Boston Transcript". 1906-1941.( The greatest single source of material for gen. Data for the N.E. area and for the period 1600-1800. Completely indexed in the Index.): 5 Jul 1922, Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 1999.Original data - Godfrey Memorial Library. American Genealogical-Biographical Index. Middletown, CT, USA: Godfrey Memorial Library.Original data: Godfrey Memorial Library.
- Ancestry Family Trees, Ancestry.com
- Beverly McNeal Huff's research
- "History of the Town of Bernardston, Franklin County, Massachusetts". 1736 - 1900. by Lucy Cutler Kellogg. Greenfield, Mass, Press of E. A. Hall & Co., 1902, p. 490. </i>Settled in Barre, N.Y.
- "History of Deerfield, Massachusetts" by A George Sheldon, 1895-1896 (2 Vol.) Published by E. A. Hall & Co., Greenfield, MA, 1896. p. 297.
- Landmarks of Orleans County, New York, Includes bibliographical references and indexes.|||[Pt. I.] Landmarks of Orleans County -- Pt. II. Biographical -- Pt. III. Family sketches. Online publication - Provo, UT: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005.Original data - Landmarks of Orleans County, New York. Syracuse, N.Y.: D. Mason & Co., 1894.Original data: Landmarks of Orleans County, New York. Syracuse, N.Y.: D. Mason & Co., 1894.
- Massachusetts, Town Vital Collections, 1620-1988, Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.Original data - Town and City Clerks of Massachusetts. Massachusetts Vital and Town Records. Provo, UT: Holbrook Research Institute (Jay and Delene Holbrook).
- Native Soil Manuscripts Index, The Generations Network, Inc., 1999,
Provo, UT, USA. This is a property deed from 1839 which describes the sale of a piece of land in Barre, New York, for the sum of four thousand six hundred and fifty five dollars. The property contains one hundred thirty three acres! This document isin excellent condition, and includes wax seals where the signers have pressed their thumbprints.
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection), Ancestry.com, 2005, Provo, Utah.
- Rootsweb family trees on WorldConnect, http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
- U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1700s-Current, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=79125263&ref=acom
- Western New York Land Transactions, 1804-1824, Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006.Original data - Livsey, Karen E. Western New York Land Transactions, 1804-1824. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1991.
- Western New York Land Transactions, 1825-1835, Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006. Original data - Livsey, Karen E. Western New York Land Transactions, 1825-1835. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1996.
- Note NI4505Elisha SHELDON was born about 1761 in Bernardston, Franklin, Massachusetts. He died in 1798 (stet) in Connecticut River, near Vernon, Windham, Vermont.42 History of the Town of Bernardston, Franklin County, Massachusetts. 1736 - 1900. by Lucy Cutler Kellogg. Greenfield, Mass, Press of E. A. Hall & Co., 1902, p. 490. Settled in Barre, N.Y. He became a "Dorrellite"; was drowned in the Connecticut River near Vernon, Vt. about 1798.
- History of Deerfield, by George Sheldon, Published by E. A. Hall & Co., Greenfield, MA, 1896. p. 297. Rev. sol. from Deerfield for 3 years. Settled in Barre, N.Y.; he became a Dorrelite; was drowned in Ct. river, near Vernon, about 1798 stet).
- Note XI4505Pine Hill Cemtary records: Husband of Elizabeth Wells, son of Amasa Sheldon and Sarah Bardwell, Revolutionary Soldier.
Thank you to Joe Lehnerz for creating WikiTree profile Sheldon-785 through the import of moore 2011 - 17022013.GED on Mar 11, 2013.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Elisha by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share significant DNA with Elisha:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Victoria VanAllen and Joe Lehnerz. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On July 21, 2015 at 02:38GMT Vic Watt wrote: