Vincent Shurtleff son of Elisha, was born in Montgomery, Mass., on May 29, 1814.
He died near Salt Lake City, Utah, May 21, 1893. 
M1: Elizabeth Loomis, in Russell, Mass., Oct. 27, 1836. She was born in Russell, Mar. 19, 1816 ; d. in Salt Lake City, May 22, 1862. She was the dau. of Squire and Patience (Root).
M2: He m. Mary Elizabeth (Hadlock) Brockway in Salt Lake City, Oct. 22, 1847. She was b. in Waterford, Caledonia Co., Vt., Nov. 2, 1821; and d. in Salt Lake City, May 6, 1907.
M3: He m. Elizabeth Topham in Salt Lake City, Dec. 4, 1850. Elizabeth Topham, b. in Eden Soken, Bedfordshire, Eng., June 10, 1833.
M4: He m. Lydia Amanda Shurtleff in Salt Lake City, Dec. 9, 1854. she was born in Winter Quarters, Caldwell Co., Mo., Aug. 1, 1838, the dau. of Luman Andros Shurtleff and Eunice Bagg (Gaylord), who were m. July 5, 1830 (see No. 481).
"He joined the Mormon Church in 1845, was driven out of Illinois with the Mormons and was one of the pioneers to settle in Salt Lake City, where he resided for eight years. He then went to the intermountain region which is still known as the Shurtleff place, and was a stock raiser and farmer. When his two oldest boys were grown to manhood they bought a mule train and hauled freight from the Missouri River to Salt Lake City until the Union Pacific Railroad was built."
Children by Elizabeth Loomis, b. in Russell, Mass., except 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th:
- Lucy Elvira, b. June 8, 1838; d. in Russell, June 8, 1838.
- Emerson Davis, b. July 29, 1839. 1520
- Harrison Tuttle, b. Jan. 1, 1841. 1521
- Hyrum Chester, b. Nov. 29, 1845.
- Susan, b. Apr. 15, 1847, in Punceau (pun-kaw), an Indian trading post on the Missouri River; d. in Salt Lake City, Apr. 29, 1848.
- Albert Dewey, b. May 25, 1849, in Salt Lake City.
- Mary Elizabeth, b. Dec. 13, 1851, in Salt Lake City; d. unm. in Millcreek, Salt Lake Co., Utah, Mar. 5, 1867.
- Laura Celestia, b. Aug. 25, 1855, in Salt Lake City.
- Haswell Vincent, b. Sept. 2, 1859, in Over Jordan (now Granger), Utah.
Children by Mary Elizabeth (Hadlock) Brockway, b. in Salt Lake City, Utah, except 1st, 2d and 7th:
- Luman Elisha, b. Sept. 2, 1848, in Millcreek ; d. unm. there Jan. 20, 1883.
- Luther Gorham, b. Dec. 11, 1849, in Old Fort, Utah; d. there Nov. 10, 1850.
- Martha Maria, b. Apr. 2, 1852.
- Brigham Young, b. Oct. 7, 1854.
- Vincent, b. Aug. 20, 1857.
- Mary Emma, b. June 19, 1860; d. in Millcreek, Oct. 12, 1865.
- George Washington, b. Apr. 6, 1862, in Millcreek.
Children by Elizabeth Topham, b. in Salt Lake City, Utah, except 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th:
- Sarah Jane, b. Nov. 23, 1851.
- Heber Kimball, b. Aug. 3, 1854; d. in Salt Lake City, Feb. 25, 1856.
- Emily, b. Feb. 27, 1856 ; m. Philip Gaffney, but had no issue.
- Frank, b. Apr. 9, 1858; d. in Millcreek, Nov. 15, 1864.
- Eliza Elvira, b. Mar. 3, 1860 ; d. unm. in Millcreek, Oct. 12, 1875.
- John Topham, b. Dec. 22, 1861 ; d. in Salt Lake City, Dec. 27, 1861
- Horace Dexter, b. Sept. 8, 1862, in Millcreek; d. there Nov. 10, 1864.
- Hannah Clark, b. Oct. 2, 1864, in Millcreek.
- William, b. Dec. 23, 1866, in Millcreek.
- John, b. Aug. 15, 1869, in Millcreek ; d. there Feb. 10, 1875.
Children by Lydia Amanda Shurtleff, b. in Over Jordan (now Granger), Utah, except 3d:
- Lewis Vincent, b. July 23, 1857.
- Haskell David, b. Feb. 18, 1862 ; d. in Millcreek, Nov. 28, 1864.
- Charles Henry, b. Dec. 30, 1868, in Millcreek.
- ↑ "Utah, Deaths and Burials, 1888-1946," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F856-RGM : accessed 1 March 2015), Vincent Shurtliff, 24 May 1893; citing Salt Lake City, S.L., Utah, reference P76 dth. #3080; FHL microfilm 26,554.
- ↑ Shurtleff, Benjamin (compiler). Descendants Of William Shurtleff Of Plymouth And Marshfield, Massachusetts Volume I. Revere, Massachusetts: MCMXII (1912). Good Source? Bad Source?
- "United States Census, 1850," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MCS6-T24 : accessed 15 Nov 2012), Elizabeth Shurtleff in household of Vinson Shurtleff, Great Salt Lake county, Great Salt Lake, Utah Territory, United States; citing dwelling 382, family 382, NARA microfilm publication M432, roll 919.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Vincent by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Vincent:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Deanna Heaslet and Janet McDonald. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Vincent is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 16 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 19 degrees from Michael Phelps, 20 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.