- William Simmons's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Birth: Apr. 7, 1802 South Carolina, USA Death: 1867 Pike County Mississippi, USA
William is the son of Richard and Ann (Nancy) Tyler Simmons. Married Nancy M. Hope in October, 1824. She is the daughter of James Hope and Isabelle Smith. William built a home east of Mt. Zion Baptist Church, Pike County, Mississippi and entered a good deal of public land. He was a farmer. They are buried in an old cemetery of this place near where Hugh L. Simmons now lives. There are no markers. The only marker in the graveyard read, "Elizabeth Alford". It is known that this Elizabeth was a younger sister of Nancy Hope Simmons. Nancy died at the home of her son-in-law, W. D. Coney. They were charter members of the Mt. Zion Baptist Church constituted on July 28, 1838, where they served as deacon and deaconess until his death.
Prior to 1838 William Simmons and his brothers and their families attended the Silver Creek Baptist Church, traveling the seven or eight miles back and forth together. In 1833 letters of dismissal were granted to all of them, presumably in an unsuccessful attempt to organize a church closer to home. In 1838 letters of dismissal were again granted and Mt. Zion Church was organized. When Mt. Zion Church was organized William and one of his brothers-in-law were ordained to serve as deacons. John Simmons was elected church clerk. William's wife, Nancy, was elected a deaconess at the same time. Nancy must have been held in high regard by her neighbors because, while women deacons are not unknown in Baptist churches, they are very rare. Nancy continued to serve as a deaconess until her husband died in 1867. Nancy's sister, Mary, joined the new church two days after its organization during the protracted revival meeting that customarily followed the founding of a new church.
1. Solomon O. Simmons, born August 4, 1825, near Mt Zion Church, Pike County, Mississippi, died April 24, 1908, married Sophronio Varnado November 29, 1849, and lived in Emerald community, Pike County, Mississippi, buried S. O. Simmons Cemetery, Pike County, Mississippi
2. Talitha (Zyletha) Simmons* born 1826, in Mississippi, died October 28, 1893, near Magnolia, Pike County, Mississippi, married Ephraim Prescott October 22, 1846, and lived near Magnolia, Pike County, Mississippi
3. Nancy Simmons, born August 2, 1827, in Mississippi, died September 4, 1910, married Jacob M. Ott and lived 12 miles east of Osyka, Pike County, Mississippi, buried in Osyka, Pike County, Mississippi
4. Isabelle Simmons, born December 13, 1831, Pike County, Mississippi, died October 3, 1889, married Newton B. Varnado January 8, 1852, and lived near Mt Zion Church, buried at the Newton Varnado Cemetery
5. Samantha Simmons, born 1836 or 1837. She became blind and never married
6. Ann Adarine Simmons, born July 12, 1839, died June 15, 1922, married William (Bill) D. Coney and lived east of Magnolia, Pike County, Mississippi, buried 5 miles east of Magnolia, near Lovic Felder home.
7. Cyrus S. Simmons, born November 3, 1841, died 1920, married Rosa E. Tate January 31, 1867, buried in Tylertown, Mississippi
8. Celissa O. Simmons, born September 29, 1847, died July 22, 1911, married William Pink Andrews, buried McComb Cemetery, McComb, Pike County, Mississippi
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Allan Thomas and Laura Serna. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 5 Jun 2015 at 15:45 GMT Allan Thomas wrote:
William is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 30 degrees from Michael Phelps, 28 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 21 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.