Since the publication of Goodwin's Genealogical Notes in 1856, the early wife of Gerard who was mother of his children has always been named as Hannah. The present compiler follows these authorities, though confessing that he has not seen an original or quoted contemporary record so naming her. Still, such a record may exist. The Four Spencer Brothers - Their Ancestors and Descendants.
Source of confusion:
Parish records, Stotfold, Bedfordshire, England. Genealogia Bedfordiensis.Attached.
- 1628 Aug. 4 Spenser - Hills, Gerard & Joanna, mar.
- 1629 May 14 Spenser, Anna, filia Gerardi, bapt.
- 1630 Jan. 17 Spencer, Elizabeth, fil. Gerardi, bapt.
- 1631 Jun, 13 Spencer, Thomas, gen., sep.
- 1635 Sep. 16 Spenser, Maria, filia Gerardi & Joanna, bapt.
- 1635 Dec. 19 Spenser, Margareta, vidua, sep.
Joanna Hills Was NOT Married To the Father of the American Immigrants
There are some genealogies out there showing a Joan Hills as a second wife to the father of the American immigrants, Gerrard Spencer, after Alice Whitbread. (Note, he is Michael > Gerrard.) I've seen one genealogy showing him having 8 more kids with the second wife, after he had already turned 50.
These folks have mixed up our ancestor with his nephew, also Gerard Spencer, who is Michael > Thomas > Gerrard. He is the Gerard who married Joanna Hills and never came to America.
Spencer, Sources and Resources, Research Notes, Questions and Errata
Gerard Sepncer was baptized 20 Sept. 1601 Stotfold. Childrens dates are baptismal dates. and burial dates
- Attached Documents.
- Kathy Alvis Patterson Family History, compiled by Kathy Patterson.
- Lechner Family History, compiled by Michael Lechner, with my father Ted Harrold Lechner. Lechner Family History.
"The American Genealogist" vol. 27, pp 83 84. Records from office of County of bedford, Bedgord England. Aug. 1968 From Church Records of St. Marys paish church of Stoffold. courtesy Mrs. Louise Birnbaumer
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Gerard by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Michael Spencer, Brian Williams, and Peter D Beattie. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On April 20, 2014 Michael Spencer wrote:
On October 11, 2013 Jillaine Smith wrote: