- Gerard Spencer's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Since the publication of Goodwin's Genealogical Notes in 1856, the early wife of Gerard who was mother of his children has always been named as Hannah. The present compiler follows these authorities, though confessing that he has not seen an original or quoted contemporary record so naming her. Still, such a record may exist. The Four Spencer Brothers - Their Ancestors and Descendants.
Source of confusion:
Parish records, Stotfold, Bedfordshire, England. Genealogia Bedfordiensis.Attached.
- 1628 Aug. 4 Spenser - Hills, Gerard & Joanna, mar.
- 1629 May 14 Spenser, Anna, filia Gerardi, bapt.
- 1630 Jan. 17 Spencer, Elizabeth, fil. Gerardi, bapt.
- 1631 Jun, 13 Spencer, Thomas, gen., sep.
- 1635 Sep. 16 Spenser, Maria, filia Gerardi & Joanna, bapt.
- 1635 Dec. 19 Spenser, Margareta, vidua, sep.
Joanna Hills Was NOT Married To the Father of the American Immigrants
There are some genealogies out there showing a Joan Hills as a second wife to the father of the American immigrants, Gerrard Spencer, after Alice Whitbread. (Note, he is Michael > Gerrard.) I've seen one genealogy showing him having 8 more kids with the second wife, after he had already turned 50.
These folks have mixed up our ancestor with his nephew, also Gerard Spencer, who is Michael > Thomas > Gerrard. He is the Gerard who married Joanna Hills and never came to America.
Spencer, Sources and Resources, Research Notes, Questions and Errata
Gerard Sepncer was baptized 20 Sept. 1601 Stotfold. Childrens dates are baptismal dates. and burial dates
- Attached Documents.
- Kathy Alvis Patterson Family History, compiled by Kathy Patterson.
- Lechner Family History, compiled by Michael Lechner, with my father Ted Harrold Lechner. Lechner Family History.
"The American Genealogist" vol. 27, pp 83 84. Records from office of County of bedford, Bedgord England. Aug. 1968 From Church Records of St. Marys paish church of Stoffold. courtesy Mrs. Louise Birnbaumer
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Gerard by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Chet Spencer : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup E-L117, Ysearch 23V7R, FTDNA kit #2186
- Frank Spencer : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup E-L117, Ysearch BVDU9, FTDNA kit #2376
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Michael Spencer, Peter D Beattie, and Brian Williams. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On April 20, 2014 at 18:36GMT Michael Spencer wrote:
On October 11, 2013 at 13:26GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
Gerard is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 30 degrees from Gene Kelly, 14 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.