EDWARD JOHN SPENCER EARL Birth: Jan. 24, 1924 Death: Mar. 29, 1992
British Nobility. Edward John Spencer was the Eighth Earl Spencer of Althorp and father of Diana, Princess of Wales. He was educated at Eton and Sandhurst. He had been an equerry (attendant) to King George VI, father of Queen Elizabeth, from 1950-1952, and to the Queen herself in the first two years of her reign. He married the Hon. Frances Burke Ruth Roche in 1954 and the union produced five children: Sarah McCorquodale, Jane Fellows (wife of the Queen's private secretary, Sir Robert), John (who died within 24 hours of his birth), Diana, and Charles (who became the Ninth Earl of Spencer upon his father's death). Edward and Frances had a twelve-year age difference, the same age gap that would occur with their daughter Diana on her marriage to Charles, Prince of Wales in 1981). They divorced in 1969, amidst much publicity and bad feelings and the fact that Frances's own mother Ruth, Lady Fermoy (who was a woman of the bedchamber to Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother) testified against her in court. It was reported that because of Lady Fermoy's testimony that Edward (then known as Viscount Althorp) was given custody of the children. His second wife was Raine, Countess of Dartmouth, daughter of romance novelist Barbara Cartland. It is well-documented how much the Earl's children did not like their stepmother (they referred to her as "Acid Raine") but Raine nursed him through a massive stroke he suffered in the late-1970's, the effects of which he was still feeling when he made the 3-1/2 minute walk up the nave at Saint Paul's Cathedral to give Diana away on July 29, 1981. The Spencer family can trace their lineage to Charles II and James II. The family fortune was made on 16th-century wool trading and it was because of that fortune that the family has had close ties with the British royal house ever since, but the family did not have the chance to marry into the royal house until the marriage of Diana in 1981. The Spencers almost married royalty in the early-1700's when the first Lady Diana Spencer (1710-1735) nearly married Frederick, Prince of Wales. The match was pushed by Diana's grandmother, Sarah Ferguson, but the union was called off by the wishes of King George II. In 1765, the Spencer title was created. Upon the death of his father, the 7th Earl of Spencer (born Albert Edward John, known as "Johnny") in 1975, Edward inherited the massive Althorp estate in Northamptonshire, in the English Midlands, built in 1508. He was proud of his ancestry and the connections it brought, but he endured negative publicity and pressure from his family when he sold family heirlooms from Althorp as a way of raising money for the estate's upkeep. According to the Times of London in their obituary of the Earl, "Althorp contains one of the largest private art collections in Europe, although not perhaps the most eclectic." He was said to have driven from Northamptonshire to London when he learned of the birth of Prince William in 1982 and he shouted from the balcony of the estate to the last of the day's visitors in 1984 on the birth of Prince Harry. He died at Humana Hospital in London of a heart attack. (bio by: Donna Di Giacomo)
Frances Ruth Burke Roche Shand Kydd (1936 - 2004)*
Diana Spencer (1961 - 1997)*
- WikiTree profile Spencer-2116 created through the import of HUNTER FAMILY TREE (3).ged on Aug 27, 2011 by Restricted Hunter. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Restricted and others.
Edwar John Spencer 8th Earl Spencer is 3 Degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms
- WikiTree profile Spencer-2017 created through the import of Kayla1800.ged on Aug 4, 2011 by Kayla X. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Kayla and others.
- WikiTree profile Spencer-1665 created through the import of Lent_Vise_2011-05-11aa.ged on May 26, 2011 by Bryan Sypniewski. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Bryan and others.
- Source: S42 Author: Ancestry.com Title: Public Member Trees Publication: Name: Name: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date: 2006;; Repository: #R1
- Repository: R1 Name: www.ancestry.com Address: E-Mail Address: Phone Number:
- WikiTree profile Spencer-1821 created through the import of Travis Family Tree.ged on Jun 22, 2011 by Roger Travis. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Roger and others.
- Source: S-1938396353 Repository: #R-1938398764 Title: Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. Note: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created. Page: Ancestry Family Trees Note: Data: Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=26867133&pid=792
- Repository: R-1938398764 Name: Ancestry.com Address: http://www.Ancestry.com Note:
- WikiTree profile Spencer-2188 created through the import of O'Bryan Family tree.ged on Sep 6, 2011 by Tim Tropeck. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Tim and others.
- WikiTree profile Spencer-2703 created through the import of Spencer Family Tree 4 2002.GED on Nov 28, 2011 by Chet Spencer. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Chet and others.
- First-hand knowledge of Gilly Wood.
Thanks to Gilly Wood for starting this profile.
Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Gilly and others.
Thanks to William Arbuthnot for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by William and others.
This person was created through the import of myergen.ged on 28 January 2011. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
This person was created through the import of ta5n91_614332c9o84192ddea0gp1.ged on 12 May 2011. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
This person was created through the import of fitzmaster032511.ged on 27 March 2011. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
- Title: 8th Earl Spencer
Searching for someone else?
- John Piggot Spencer
- John Spencer
- John Spencer
- John Spencer
- John Spencer
- John Mulnix Spencer
- Edward Phelps Spencer
- John Mason Spencer
- John Harrison "Harry" Spencer
- John Spencer
- John Spencer of Althorp
- John Spencer II
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Eward John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Chet Spencer : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup E-L117, Ysearch 23V7R, FTDNA kit #2186
- Frank Spencer : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup E-L117, Ysearch BVDU9, FTDNA kit #2376
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Gilly Wood, Roger Travis, Chet Spencer, Tim O'Bryan, Lindsey Bowling, Matthew Cates, Douglas Masterson, and Kayla X. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Eward John is 21 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 48 degrees from Anne Frank, 18 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 3 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.