- Thomas Stanley's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Cedar Creek Monthly Meeting, Virginia.
- "The Stanley Family and the Hutchins Family were closely inter-married. Thomas Stanley, from England, came to the Virginia Colony about 1700, with his three sons, James, Thomas, and John. They settled in Hanover County. James Stanley married Catherine Hutchins, daughter of Nicholas. They had a family of eight, viz., William, James, Mary, Martha, Micajah, Agnes, Strangeman and Elijah. This family moved to Guilford County, North Carolina, 1764, and are ancestors of a vast number. Thomas Stanley, Junior, married twice, and had a family of eleven. John Stanley married as his second wife, Martha Hutchins, daughter of Nicholas. They had a family of five, Ursula, Milly, Joshua, Thomas, and Agatha. The Alice Stanley, whom John Hutchins married, 1757, was a daughter of this John Stanley by his first wife. The descendants of these Stanley families are extremely numerous. The Stanleys were of the Friends Faith. Cedar Creek Meeting House was on Stanley land, and the Stanleys were the first overseers."
Possibly buried at Cedar Creek Quaker Cemetery.
- "Thomas Stanley, Sr. and his sons, purchased land in the part of New Kent County that was erected into Hanover County, November 1720.? John Stanley bought 18 acres on the west branch of Cedar Creek, and beginning at Thomas Stanley's line for the importation of one person, John Atkinson, February 18, 1722. John Stanley for the sum of 40 shillings bought 400 acres on both sides of Chiswell's Swamp, February 24, 1724. Marriage reported on p. 269 of Hinshaw's Cedar Creek MM, VA. Another source says they married Oct. 11, 1743. (Five Hundred First Families of America)"
- Married, probably in Virginia. He was married twice, but neither wife is proven. When he married the second time, he was disbarred from the Quaker Church for marrying a non-Quaker.
April 15, 1688
- Son James baptized in St. Peter's Parish, Church of England (Episcopal), New Kent Co., Va.
Nov. 23, 1689
- Son Thomas Jr. baptized in St. Peter's Parish, New Kent Co., Va.
Oct. 11, 1691
- Son John baptized in St. Peter's Parish, New Kent Co., Va.
- Joined Society of Friends (Quakers).
Feb. 21, 1700 -
- Thomas Stanley, Charles Fleming, Rice Hughes, Robert Hughes, Sarah Hughes, and Susannah Fleming were among attendees at the marriage of Thomas Langford and Marth West, daughter of Giles West, "at the home of the aforesaid people." Groom and bride were both from New Kent County. Other attending were Christipher Clark and Elizabeth Clark, Michael Johnson and Sarah Johnson.
Feb. 28, 1700
- First appeared on Quaker records, Henrico Monthly Meeting, Hanover Co. Va.
Dec. 16, 1714
- 800 acres in New Kent County granted to "Tho. Standley Sr., James Standley, & Tho. Standley Jr."
- Thomas Stanley Sr. James and Thomas Stanley Jr. for the consideration of the importation of sixteen persons to dwell within this our colony of VA, whose names are William Porter, William Hodgkinson, Richard Baker, Henry Kiplin, Adam Newman, William Schlade, Thomas Millot, Isaac Palmer, Tobert Bookle, John Draper, Peter Bryan, John Haley, Daniel Hughes, William Bogling, John Bitnal, and Peter Clark, one tract of land containing 800 acres, lying and being on both sides of Cedar Creek, in St. Paul's Parish, New Kent Co.
- Thomas Standley, Senr., James Standley, & Thomas Standley, Junr., 800 acs. (N.L.), New Kent Co in St. Paul's Par; on both sides of Cedar Cr; Imp. of 16 pers: Wm. Porter, Wm. Hodgkinson, Richd. Baker, Henry Kiplin, Adam Newman, Wm. Sclade, Thos. Mellot, Isaac Palmer, Robt. Beedle, John Draper, Peter Bryan, John Haley, Danl. Hughes, Wm. Baley, John Bignal, Peter Clark.
- Thomas Stanley Sr and his sons purchased land in the part of New Kent Co. that was erected into Hanover Co.
Dec. 10, 1724
- Thomas Stanley, Sr for 25 shillings 251 acres on both sides of Cawthorns Branch in Hanover Co. adjoining his line and that of John Williamson, William Harris, and Chiswell
Aug. 1, 1726
- Henrico Monthly Meeting, Hanover, Va. Thomas(Likely Thomas Jr.), living in Louisa Co., Va., is disowned for marrying out of unity.
- ↑ Crider, Gussie Waymire. Four Generations of the Family of Strangeman Hutchins and His Wife Elizabeth Cox as Known Jan. 10, 1935. An Old Virginia Family along the James River .. Kokomo, Indiana: [Moore Printing], 1935.
- ↑ Barnhill, Celeste Jane Terrell, and George Tatum Stanley. Virginia Quaker Stanleys and Descendants,. 1931. Pg. 2.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 www.gencircles.com (Bought by MyHeritage.com over 7 years ago.)~~~~
- ↑ "Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1917," database, FamilySearch (Link : accessed 19 July 2015), Thom. Stanly in entry for James Stanly, ; citing , reference ; FHL microfilm 6,048,679.
- ↑ "Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1917," database, FamilySearch (Link : accessed 19 July 2015), Thomas Stanly in entry for Thomas Stanly, ; citing , reference ; FHL microfilm 6,048,679.
- ↑ "Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1917," database, FamilySearch (Link : accessed 19 July 2015), Tho. Stanly in entry for John Stanly, ; citing , reference ; FHL microfilm 6,048,679.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 "Hinshaw's Encyclopedia of Quaker Genealogy," Vol. VI, pg. 213
- ↑ Des Cognets: p. 101.
- ↑ Cavaliers and Pioneers,(File) Vol. III, p. 162 & 211, extract of Patent Book No. 10
- Pickett, Edna Stanley. "History and Genealogy of the Stanley Family" 1949.
- Holloway, James LaFayette "Descendants of Edward Stanley," 1968.
- Anderson, Alvin L., and Ruth Stanley Kuntz. "Stanleys In Virginia" In Stanley and Allied Families: Descendants of the Quaker Stanley Families of Colonial Virginia, P. 118. Vol. 1. Baltimore, MD: Published for the National Stanley Family Association by Gateway Press, 1996.
- Des Cognets, Louis. English Duplicates of Lost Virginia Records
- "Find A Grave Index," database, FamilySearch (Link : accessed 19 July 2015), Thomas Stanley Sr, 1714; Burial, Montpelier (Hanover), Hanover, Virginia, United States of America, Cedar Creek Quaker Graveyard; citing record ID 116024672, Find a Grave, http://www.findagrave.com.Unsourced Data in a Find-a-Grave Memorial with little basis in Fact.Rich-1922 09:05, 19 July 2015 (EDT)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- I think I'm ready for a project... Sep 28, 2015.
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Thomas by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Thomas:
- Helen (Stanley) Burnette : 23andMe
- Thomas McWilliams : 23andMe, GEDMatch M525024 + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch M525024, FTDNA kit #B8693
- Orval Snodgrass : AncestryDNA, Ancestry member angelahellyersnodgrass
- Oneta (Stanley) Turner : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A671946
- Charlie Benbow : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T362352
- John Benbow : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T926622, FTDNA kit #250056
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Carl Rhodes, Katherine Patterson, Laury Kenton, Fontaine Wiatt, and Paul Belcher. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 19 Jan 2016 at 22:28 GMT Phillip Rich wrote:
On 30 Nov 2015 at 11:30 GMT Phillip Rich wrote:
On 30 Nov 2015 at 10:41 GMT John Atkinson wrote:
On 19 Jul 2015 at 03:32 GMT Phillip Rich wrote:
It appears that some erroneous merge must have taken place leading to extra wives and children as well. To my knowledge, there is no documented proof of either of Thomas's wives names, and he only has 3 documented sons: James, Thomas Jr, and John. Anyone have any documentation stating otherwise? If not I would like to correct these errors.
On 19 Jun 2014 at 07:22 GMT John Atkinson wrote:
Or perhaps Edward Stanley has been connected to the wrong father?
On 2 Jan 2014 at 08:17 GMT J Pictet wrote:
Thomas is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 33 degrees from Anne Frank, 11 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 23 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.