- Benjamin Stone I's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: American Revolution Veterans.
Benjamin STONE was born 26 SEP 1747 in Rowan Co., NC, and died ABT 1795 in Madison Co., KY, he never lived in Ohio.
|Event years 1773-1789|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the 1776 Project!
Born 26 SEP 1747 in Rowan Co., NC
Married Sarah Lewis
Died 1795 in Madison County, Ky
Benjamin was in the Orange Co. area from at least 1768 to mid 1780s. After moving from Back Creek (near Haw River) he moved to Troublesome Creek, Rockingham Co., NC (part of Guilford Co. until 1785) for a few years before heading out to Kentucky.
Benjamin Stone enlisted July 20, 1778 and was commissioned to the 2nd Regiment North Carolina under Major Reading Blount for 9 months during the American Revolutionary War.
The preface of the book states, "The will abstracts and estates in this book are taken from Will Book "A " number 70 as found in the Clerk's Office of Madison County Kentucky."
1-20-1795 In the name of god Amen I Benjamin Stone of the County of Madison in the state of Kentucky being weak of body but of sound and perfect mind and memory thanks be to All mighty god for his mercies and calling to mind the mortality of man’s body and that its appointed for all flesh to die do make constitute and ordain this my last will and testament in the following manner viz first of all I order that all my just debts shall be honestly paid and as to the rest of my estate I will and bequeath in the following manner viz the place whereon I now live together with all my personal estate I leave to the use and support of Sarah my well beloved wife during her natural life and after her death the said plantation to be given up to my son Dudley as soon a he comes of age but in case that his mother dies before that he comes of age that he is to have the profits there of but in case that his mother shall live longer that the time he comes of age he shall not disposses her but she is to have a decent support from the profits of the said place so long as she shall live and all the household furniture to be equally Divided amongst my three daughters Elizabeth, Jane and Fanny and also to have a cow and calf after the death of their mother and as to the remainder part of my stock to be equally divided amongst my three sons Samuel, Daniel and Dudly after their mother's decease; and as I have exchanged my plantation that is in Guilford County No Carolina with Burges my son for a bond upon Aron Lewis for five hundred acres of land which agreeable to the condition of the said bond he was to have choice of several entries that the said Lewis has in the state of Kentucky and accordingly I have ______(looks like pitihed) on a certain entry that lies in the dividing ridge between Kingston and the waters of state and Lul begrude the entry contains 1250 acres in the name of James Crabtree which if the said 500 acres is obtained to be a good right I give 100 to my son John one hundred to Samuel and one hundred to Daniel and fifty to Jeane and fifty to Fanny and the remainder one hundred to Burges and the stallion colt I leave the profits for the first two years to be equally divided between my sons Samuel & Daniel and afterwards I give and bequeath the said horse unto my son Dudley either to keep or sell & the price there of (ink blot) let out on interest until Dudley comes of age at the disgression of my executors and to the rest of my children I give and bequeath viz to Burges, Susanna, Mary and Rebeckah the sum of five shillings each to be made out of my personal estate and (inkblot) hereby appoint Sarah my dear wife Executrix and Aron Lewis executor of this my last will and testament and do pronounce and declare this to be my last will and testament this twentieth day of January in the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety five. Signed sealed pronounced and declared in presents of ............... Aron Lewis, Isaac Lewis Benjamin his B mark Stone (LS) Thomas Lewis, John Lewis, Sarah Lewis
At a court held for Madison County on Tuesday the 4th day of August 1795 This will was proved to be the last will and testament of Benjamin Stone D ec'd by the oath of Sarah Stone, Aron and Thomas Lewis, Witnesses, there to and ordered to be recorded. Teste Will Irvine CMCB
It is possible that he had a first wife, a Burgess, who was the mother of Susannah, Burgess, Mary, Rebecca and John.
Court, Land, Probate Records Abstracts of Early Kentucky Wills and Inventories Madison Co. KY Book A - Page 166 Stone, Benjamin 1-20-1795 8-4-1795 Wife, Sarah "I have exchanged my plantation that is in Guilford Co., NC with Burgess, my son, for a bond upon Ann Lewis".
Stone DNA Surname Project - Results
Group #22-B Test results received. Kit #68743. Haplogroup: R1b1a2 Shorthand: R-M269
- BENJAMIN STONE, b. abt. 1733; d. abt. 1795, Madison Co., KY.
- Sarah Unknown (possibly Lewis) (wife), d. aft. 1800, Madison Co., KY.
- SUSANNAH STONE, b. Dec. 11, 1763, Orange Co., NC; d. May 27, 1826, St. Charles Co., MO; m. Francis Howell.
- REBECCA STONE, b. Jan. 20, 1765; m. Thomas Oden.
- BURGESS STONE, b. bef. Sept. 1765; d. 1839, Rockingham Co., NC; m. Elizabeth Bowen (1st wife); Mary (Polly) Heath (2nd wife).
- MARY STONE, b. abt. 1767; m. Thomas Bowen.
- DANIEL LEWIS STONE, b. Dec. 23, 1771, NC; d. Aug. 2, 1857, Warren Co., KY; m. Susanna McFaddin (1st wife); Rose Middleton (2nd wife); Elizabeth Fox (3rd wife); Libby Squire (4th wife).
- ELIZABETH STONE, b. 1772; m. Thomas Lewis.
- JANE STONE, b. Aug. 24, 1775; d. aft. 1850, Montgomery Co., MO; m. William L. Hopkins.
- SAMUEL STONE, b. bef. 1778, VA or NC; d. Sept. 1840, Warren Co., KY; m. Sarah South.
- JOHN BLUFORD STONE, b. Mar. 24, 1779, VA; m. Unknown Dudley (1st wife); Unknown Parks (2nd wife).
- FRANCES STONE, b. 1781, NC; d. Oct. 24, 1854, Warren Co., KY; m. Isaac Orlton Lewis.
- DUDLEY LEWIS STONE, b. Jan. 20, 1780/81; d. 1834, Madison Co., KY; m. Mary Epperson (1st wife); Susannah Skinner (2nd wife).
BENJAMIN STONE purchased land in 1768 in Orange Co., NC. He appears in records (tax, land) in Orange, Caswell and Rockingham Cos., NC, from 1768-1787. He moved to Madison Co., KY, abt. 1788.
Clerk's Office of Madison County Kentucky.
Madison County, Kentucky: Wills: Probate Records: Vol. A-A1: 1787-1813:
Reference: Kentucky State Archives: Roll# 7012790: Madison Co. Wills: 1787-1829: 16mm film
Stone DNA Surname Project - Results
- ↑ Entered by Cheryl Caudill.
Thanks to Cheryl Caudill for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Cheryl and others.
No biography yet. Can you add information or sources?
- ↑ Entered by Cheryl Caudill.
- ↑ Stone-5565 was created by Brian Beck through the import of BRYANT-SHERRI-ANCESTORS-2014-07-01.ged on Jul 1, 2014. This comment and citation should be deleted after a short biography has been added and primary sources have been cited.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Benjamin's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Cheryl Caudill, Donny Graham, and Brian Beck. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On May 26, 2015 at 08:49GMT Dan Stone wrote:
On May 25, 2015 at 20:31GMT Lynden Rodriguez wrote:
So sorry, Lynden
On May 16, 2015 at 06:37GMT Kelly Duggan wrote:
On January 22, 2015 at 20:22GMT Lynden Rodriguez wrote:
6. John is the son of Benjamin Stone. 12. Mary is the daughter of George Vernon. .22. Juliana is the daughter of William de Vesci.
On January 20, 2015 at 03:31GMT Lynden Rodriguez wrote:
On December 26, 2014 at 03:02GMT Cheryl Caudill wrote:
On December 26, 2014 at 02:59GMT Cheryl Caudill wrote:
On December 26, 2014 at 02:35GMT Cheryl Caudill wrote: