- John Summers's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- Emigrated to Maryland in 1671. Brought over by Captain John Boddy.
- Your line of Summers are believed to come from England. The first reported Summers in your line was a John Summers. On 18 December 1671, a Captain John Boddy...having transported 12 persons to Maryland to inhabit, amongst whom was JOHN SUMMERS, proved his right to 600 acres of land.
- John Summers was believed to be between 16 and 25 years of age (born about 1650), this being the age of most transported indentured servants. He would have faced a doubtful crossing of the Atlantic. A most dangerous thing at those times, where sickness, on board fires and ship wreaks were only some of the fears. The crossing if it went well would have taken 2 months. Most of the time spent below decks in cramped quarters with little light, sanitation or ventilation. Many died of disease on these journeys and John would had to have the true Pioneer spirit to make this trips.
- John showed himself to be a ruggard Individualist, by 1682 he was already paying ground rent (tax) on 120 acres of land called Pitchcraft. It was on the Westside of the Patuxent River in the freshes, in Calvert County, later called Prince Georges= County. As most people of the time he was a Planter (Farmer) by trade. He also was active in the community. He testified for a Edward Gold (a Negro) and his freedom in June 1692. He served on Jury duty twice in 1698, and was appointed overseer of the Mount Calvert Hundred (a piece of property). He was married to a Rebecca Dent and had 4 children; William Summers, John Summers 2nd, Sarah Summers and Lucy Summers. He died about 1705 and left his estate to his Wife Rebecca. When she remarried (to a Henry Mackbee in 1708) the estate went to his two sons. Rebecca died about 1711.
This biography is a rough draft. It was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import and needs to be edited.
- 11 AUG 2009
- 11 AUG 2009
Prior to import, this record was last changed 20:20:59 11 AUG 2009.
- WikiTree profile Summers-888 created through the import of Underwood.ged on Jan 17, 2013 by Mark Underwood. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Mark and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of John's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jane Shipley, Mark Underwood, and Laura Chastain. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 3 May 2016 at 09:48 GMT Michelle McQueen wrote:
On 31 Mar 2016 at 00:54 GMT Michelle McQueen wrote:
John is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 23 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 22 degrees from Michael Phelps, 28 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 22 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.