- William Teague Sr.'s Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
|This profile is part of the Teague One Name Study|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the One Name Studies Project!
Join us at: Teague Name Study
UNDER Construction -- This Family/Line is currently being worked by a WikiTree Arborist M.Gaulden
|This person settled in the US Southern Colonies Prior to incorporation into the USA.|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the US Southern Colonies Project!
William Teague , who had started life as a working miner at the age of eleven, progressed to be an under-captain and eventually a mine captain. He made a fortune in Tincroft and Came Brea mines and subsequently became connected with the Penvoll Smelting Company, which was another profitable venture. According to R. Symons' "Gazetteer of Cornwall" published in 1884, "he exibited a singular tenacity for mining. He was a legitimate miner, no dealer."
- 1693, Teggs Delight, Cecil, Maryland, United States
- Date: 1693, Cecil, Maryland, United States
- 1775, Chatham, Rowan, North Carolina, United States
- 1775, Abbots Creek Cemetery, Rowan Co. North Carolina
- Sold his lands in Cecil County Maryland and moved to Frederick County Virginia
- ABT 1737, Moved from Frederick County Maryland to North Carolina
- ABT 1751, Son, Joshua, was the executor of William Teague's will and distributed the land holdings.
His wife's maiden name was Loftin, some family trees have Pennington.
- Husband: William Abel Teague
- Wife: Isabella Pennington
- Date: Btw 1705 and 1710
- Place: Cecil Co., Maryland
- Child: Moses Teague
- Child: Isaac Teaque
- Child: Joshua Teague
- Child: Edward Teague
- Child: Isaac Teague
- Child: Abraham Teague
- Child: Charity Teague
- Child: Benjamin Teague
- Child: Rachael Teague
- Child: Elijah Teague
- Child: Moses Sr. Teague
- Child: Susannah Teague
- Child: William Teague
"My gut is telling me neither Isabella is correct. According to Dutch/German naming patterns, the first son is named after the Paternal G-father (Edward) and the second son after the Maternal G-father. (Moses?) If either Isabella Pennington or Isabelle Loftin was the Mother, then the second son should be William or Abraham.
Granted, this naming pattern was not followed 100% of the time, and is really more of a clue than a definitive guide. But the first son was Edward...
I am not having any luck with finding "First" sources thus far, but I have found some convincingly documented websites listing Land Transfers and Church Records. One such website, Ancestors of Sherry Lynn Sorrells makes clear that Isabella Teague signed off her dowery* on land transfers up until Sept of 1736. All else is speculative. With the scarcity of records available, I feel it is too presumptuous to assume that the 2 eligible Isabells we have records for are the only 2 Isabells of the given time period. We know Isabella E. Pennington married in 1714. We know Isabelle Lofton was born in 1696. We don't know if either married William Teague to become the Isabell Teague that signed the land records.
To speculate either way is to take the tree in a completely different direction than the other. Both women exsisted. Both Families exsisted. But either and/or neither could be the spouse of William.
That being said, wouldn't it be most appropriate to leave the spouse of William as "unkown" and notate possible connections to the consolidated profiles of both Isabelle Loftin and Isabella E. Pennington in his Bio? Phillip Rich
- She didn't sign off her dowery, she signed off her DOWER or Dowager Rights, aka Widow's share or 1/3 of the value of the estate with the children splitting 2/3 in most cases. Signing off on Dowager Rights usually means the husband is selling the land, so the wife agrees that once the sale is made, she has lost all rights to a widow's share of that property.
And at http://www.teagueonline.freeserve.co.uk/R&B/MD1002.html we find this statement... Steve Connolly (connolly AT twics.com) writes: "Occasionally, the following is published on various genealogy sites as fact: William Teague b. ca 1693, Cecil County, MD, wife Isabella Loftin b. 19 Dec 1693. However, several very assiduous researchers have been UNABLE to verify that. It is also possible that the wife referred to was Isabella Pennington (ca 1697, Cecil County, MD). One of those researchers, Ashley Loftin, was kind enough to send me photocopies of records that he had examined during his years of hands-on research. Indeed, there is no reference to anyone but an Isabell/Isabella. This is an on-going unsolved gap in our information. Unless solid evidence has come to light (evidence many of us would love to examine), please be advised that this controversy exists for both the Loftin/Lofton researchers and the Pennington researchers. We all have to remain vigilant about publishing conjecture as fact."Lynette Jester
- ↑ User ID 290ADBED-1B9D-4AE9-9FDE-927876B1F043 Record ID Number MHIF3630 User ID 290ADBED-1B9D-4AE9-9FDE-927876B1F043 Record ID Number MHIF3630
- ↑ User ID C5D95F55-0642-453B-9BFA-982CE1AA8020 Record ID Number MHIF3629 User ID C5D95F55-0642-453B-9BFA-982CE1AA8020 Record ID Number MHIF3629
- Source: S544861131 Title: GEDCOM File : 2649994.ged Data: Date: 19 Mar 2004
- Source: S544861193 Title: GEDCOM File : 2837505.ged Data: Date: 29 Mar 2004
- Source: S544861194 Title: GEDCOM File : 2842984.ged Data: Date: 3 Apr 2004
- Source: S544861195 Title: GEDCOM File : 2922919.ged Data: Date: 11 Jul 2004
- Entered by Diana Morris, Apr 17, 2012
- Information as entered by Dee Ann Pierce, Wednesday, October 8, 2014.
- WikiTree profile Teague-486 created through the import of 11-2012 gedcom.ged on Nov 15, 2012 by Lee Casad. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Lee and others.
- UPD 31 JUL 2012 20:33:55 GMT -0600
Record ID Number
- Record ID Number: MH:I159
- User ID: 34RB2881-5VQ0-783U-3731-37311OR80P18
Changes and Merges
*Merge Note Please don't remove*
Teague-296 into Teague-8
Teague-436 into Teague-8
Teague-169 into Teague-8 Father William (Teague-169) mother Isabella Loftin (Loftin-29)birth 1693 death 1775
Teague-326 into Teague-8
Teague-313 into Teague-8 Father William(Teague-313) Mother Isabella (Pennington-697)
Teague-223 into Teague-8
Teague-419 into Teague-8
Teague-486 into Teague-8
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with William by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with William:
- Hugh Barnes - 23andMe
GEDMatch ID M679760
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Lee Casad, Herb Poole, Dee Ann Pierce, Paula Marksman, Diana Morris, and Raymond Williams. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On June 1, 2015 at 23:19GMT Phillip Rich wrote:
On June 1, 2015 at 23:02GMT Phillip Rich wrote:
On June 1, 2015 at 03:22GMT Phillip Rich wrote:
On April 23, 2015 at 16:02GMT M. Gaulden wrote:
William is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 17 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 46 degrees from Lisa Kudrow, 28 degrees from Kurt Vonnegut and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.