Categories: US President Direct Ancestor.
This Last Name at Birth should have been Trask all along.
|William Trask Baptism Record|
Birth & Baptism
William was a miller, and he married twice.
First, he married Ann Putnam on 18 Jan 1666. She was the daughter of Lieutenant Thomas and Ann (Holyoke) Putnam. She was born in Lynn, Massachusetts, 25 August 1645, and died 14 November 1676, in Salem.
William was a soldier during King Philip's War, and for this service his heirs received a land grant in what is now Amherst, New Hampshire.
His father left his house to William and his brother John equally, but William sold his half to his brother. He rented a house from John Mason, eventually prior to 1682, building a house with an oak, from the old aboriginal forest, frame. William was "recommended" as an innkeeper. The house became known as the "Black Horse Tavern" and remained an inn until 1740.
Death & Will
In his will, he commits his soul to God and his body to the earth and directs that his debts and funeral charges be paid. He then makes bequests to his five daughters, some of whom are still under age (18). Hannah Brooks, Sarah, Sussanah, Elizabeth and Mary Trask each receive 10 pounds. His loving wife (no name given) and sons William and John each get shares of the estate. Also, his wife is pregnant, and if that child is a son and lives until age 21, he will also get a share in the estate. He names his wife and William as executors, and brother Jno Trask and brother Thomas Putnam and Mr. Edward Flint as overseers. The inventory was appraised at £413.2s, less debts of £115.
Children by Ann Putnam
- Hannah Traske b. 7 June 1668; m. Isaac Brooks
- Elizabeth Traske b. March 1669/70; died young
- Sarah Traske b. 14 June, 1672
- William Trask b. 7 Sept. 1674
- Susanna Trask b. 3 Nov. 1676; m. Jonathan Fuller
Children by second wife
- John Trask, b. about 1678
- Elizabeth Trask b. 1685; m Benjamin Hanson
- Mary b. March 1682/3; m. John Southwick
- George b. Jan 1690/1
- James Savage, A Genealogical Dictionary, of the First Settlers of New CONT England , (Baltimore, MD: GPC, 1969).
- Roberts, Gary Boyd; Ancestors of American Presidents. Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Records of the 1st Church in Salem, Massachusetts, 1629-1736. Essex Institute, 1974.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Trask, William Blake. "Captain William Traske and Some of his Descendants. New England Historical and Genealogical Register 55:324-7. Boston: NEHGS, 1901.
- ↑ Roberts, Gary Boyd; Ancestors of American Presidents
- ↑ The probate records have images at AmericanAncestors, but the will and inventory are recorded as missing from the file
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Anne B, Katherine Patterson, J. Salsbery, and Ted Pitman. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On April 10, 2015 at 00:17GMT J. Salsbery wrote:
On April 9, 2015 at 22:40GMT Anne B wrote:
On April 9, 2015 at 22:37GMT Anne B wrote:
Trask-486 and Traske-15 are not ready to be merged because: Postponing with an unmerged match so everyone can way in on last name change.
On April 9, 2015 at 22:34GMT Anne B wrote:
On April 9, 2015 at 22:32GMT Anne B wrote:
William is 12 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 18 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 45 degrees from Lisa Kudrow, 21 degrees from Kurt Vonnegut and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.