Disputed Origin: What her date or place of birth was, her family name at birth, or who her parents were is not supported by any solid sources. More research is needed.
There are no credible records showing Charity's birth or family name. She was probably born in England; unsourced material shows her variously from Middlesex, Exeter, or Devonshire, England, born from 1625 to 1634. This must be taken as clues only for additional research.
Nearly all sources agree her name was Charity. Some show her given name as Mary Charity. Her maiden name is variously given as Wood, Woodward, Woodwards, Woodman, Ryan or Unknown.. More research/documentation is needed.
The South River area of Anne Arundel County, Maryland, was settled starting in 1649 by Puritans who had been expelled from Virginia. Since this is the area Richard Cheney and his wife Charity settled, it may be assumed that they too migrated from Virginia, but there is no proof of this.
Skordas #S30 shows Richard receiving property in 1658 as an immigrant, and Charity receiving the same property in 1650 as an immigrant. The 1650 date was probably also intended to be 1658. This is not necessarily their date of immigration. Maryland had a civil war between Puritans and Catholic in the early 1650's, and no records were kept or land patents issued during that period. It is quite possible Richard and Charity were already settled in Anne Arundel County, and then, when the civil war was over, received an official patent in 1658 for their land from Lord Baltimore.
Many writers give the birthdate of their oldest daughter Elizabeth as 30 October 1652. While no documentation for this has been found, it is a likely date given Elizabeth's later testimony about her age. Sharon Doliante observes that If she had been born before her parents immigrated, she also would have been named for a headright (additional land) in the patent, but this did not happen, so Elizabeth was born after her parents arrived. If the October, 1652 birthdate for the eldest child is correct, the marriage would likely have taken place in late 1651.
- Husband: Richard Cheney
- Wife: Charity
- Date: Bef 1652
- Place: S. River Hundred, Anne Arundel Co., MD, US
Sharon Doliante shows Richard and Charity as the parents of the following children. Richard had other children by his second wife Ellinor.
1. Elizabeth, b. 1652, married William Ijams 2. Richard, b. abt 1654, "the elder", married Mary 3. Mary, b. abt 1656. Mentioned in father's will. 4. Anne, b. abt 1661, married John Jacob.
i In 1667, Richard demanded one hundred acres in behalf of himself and wife Charity (Maryland State Archives.) Within a year and a half, he was married to Ellinor Pindall. Therefore we can assume Charity died in late 1667.
- Date: BEF 1669
- Place: Anne Arundel Co., MD, US
- Place: All Hallows Parish Churchyard, , , , US
- Source: S30 Title: The Early Settlers of Maryland. Author: Gust Skordas. Publisher: Baltimore, Genealogical Pub. Co., 1968. Book cited on Pitard.net.
- Source: S33 Title: Early Families of Southern Maryland Author: Elise Greenup Jourdan Publication: Westminster: Family Line, 1991. , v. 4, p. 240. Book cited on Pitard.net.
- Source: S34 Title: Anne Arundel Gentry: A Genealogical History of Some Early Families of Anne Arundel Co., Maryland Publication: Rpt. Delaware: Colonial Roots, 2003, v. 1, p. 291. Book cited on Pitard.net. This site shows no maiden name/parents, dates.
- Source: S-277766635 Title: Ancestry Family Trees. Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created.
- Source: S1761 Personal individual genealogy. Author: Wells, Gary Ramsey. Title: Chaney Lineage (Obsolete url: http://www.geocities.com/wells789/chaney.html) Note: I found the lineage on this site very hard to follow and quite a few errors in dates. - TF. Note 2: Geocities is a defunct website. However, this page is archived on the Internet Archive "Wayback Machine."
- Source: S1774 Personal Individual Genealogy. Author: Ulrich, Ron. Title: Ulrich Family Tree Links. Note: This is a very extensive genealogy which, unfortunately, does not cite its sources. IMPORTANT NOTE: The above source was cited on one of the profiles merged into this one, which gave, Mary Charity Wood, b. abt 1625 in England, m. 1647 in South River Hundred, Anne Arundel, MD, d. bef 1669, Anne Arundel, father Ezekiel Woodward. This website gives Charity Wood, b. abt 1630, England, m. bef 1649, South River Hundred, Anne Arundel, d. bef 1668, Anne Arundel, no parents given.
- Source: Sharon J. Doliante, Maryland and Virginia Colonials: Genealogies of Some Colonial Families. Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co, 1991. Reprint, Clearfield, 2010. Volume 1, p. 105.
- WikiTree profile UNKNOWN-301 created through the import of mcdougle 2010-06-30.ged on 01 July 2010 by David McDougle. See the Changes page for the details of edits by David and others.
- WikiTree profile Wood-3122 created through the import of Foster-Volkenant.ged on May 31, 2011 by Terry Foster. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Terry and others.
- WikiTree profile Cheney-404 created through the import of Hummel_Goerl_Cecil_Miller Fami(3).ged on Jun 12, 2011 by Angela Hummel. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Angela and others.
- WikiTree profile Woodward-711 created through the import of My Family File.ged on Aug 31, 2011 by Jane Entwisle. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Jane and others.
- WikiTree profile Woodward-1049 created through the import of Remus Wikitree.ged on Feb 12, 2012 by Fred Remus. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Fred and others.
- WikiTree profile Wood-6120 created through the import of Erin Dunshee_s Family Tree.ged on Sep 23, 2012 by Erin Stover. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Erin and others.
- WikiTree profile Wood-7523 created through the import of Duckett Family.ged on Apr 4, 2013 by Catherine Rivera. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Catherine and others.
- WikiTree profile Surname unknown-5 was created through the import of DanStoneGEDCOM.ged on Jul 1, 2014 by Dan Stone. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Dan and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Charity's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Fred Remus, David McDougle, Terry Foster, Catherine Rivera, Dan Stone, Angela Hummel, Erin Dunshee, and Jane Shipley. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.