Disputed Origin: What her last name at birth was, or who her parents were is not supported by any solid sources. More research is needed.
Notes on the Surname
- Not finding much credible on her maiden name. The books cited don't mention one, or any ancestors. The ancestry.com site has Woodward and gives her father as Ezekiel (unsourced).
- Here's another unsourced, user-submitted record from familysearch.org that gives Wood and shows no parents.
- Another reference to her as "Wood," this time as "Mary Charity Wood."
- Note: Nearly all sources agree her name was Charity. Some show her given name as Mary Charity. Her maiden name is variously given as Wood, Woodward, Woodwards, Woodman, Ryan or Unknown.. More research/documentation is needed.
- Date: 1634
- Place: Middlesex, England. Source: #S3
- Date: 1630
- Place: Exeter, Devon
- Date: 1630
- Place: Devonshire, England
- Date: ABT 1625
- Place: England, GB
- Husband: Richard Cheney
- Wife: Mary Charity Wood
- Date: ABT 1647
- Place: S. River Hundred, Anne Arundel Co., MD, US
- Note: Other merged profiles had 1649 and 1650. I have left "about 1650." Better sources are needed for an exact date.
- She immigrated in 1658, "wife of Richard." Source: #S30
- Note: This contradicts the marriage date in Maryland shown above.
- Date: 1667
- Place: Maryland. Source: #S3
- Date: BEF 1669
- Place: Anne Arundel Co., MD, US
- Place: All Hallows Parish Churchyard, , , , US
- Source: S3 Title: Ancestry.com public records on the web. Source for birth place, dates, maiden name, ancestors. Other citations have just Charity, b. England, d. Maryland. LATER: Have since removed the maiden name given here because the site gives no sources and more credible sources show her maiden name as unknown.
- Source: S30 Title: The Early Settlers of Maryland. Author: Gust Skordas. Publisher: Baltimore, Genealogical Pub. Co., 1968. Book cited on Pitard.net.
- Source: S33 Title: Early Families of Southern Maryland Author: Elise Greenup Jourdan Publication: Westminster: Family Line, 1991. , v. 4, p. 240. Book cited on Pitard.net.
- Source: S34 Title: Anne Arundel Gentry: A Genealogical History of Some Early Families of Anne Arundel Co., Maryland Publication: Rpt. Delaware: Colonial Roots, 2003, v. 1, p. 291. Book cited on Pitard.net. This site shows no maiden name/parents, dates.
- Source: S-277766635 Title: Ancestry Family Trees. Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created.
- Source: S1761 Personal individual genealogy. Author: Wells, Gary Ramsey. Title: Chaney Lineage (Obsolete url: http://www.geocities.com/wells789/chaney.html) Note: I found the lineage on this site very hard to follow and quite a few errors in dates. - TF. Note 2: Geocities is a defunct website. However, this page is archived on the Internet Archive "Wayback Machine."
- Source: S1774 Personal Individual Genealogy. Author: Ulrich, Ron. Title: Ulrich Family Tree Links. Note: This is a very extensive genealogy which, unfortunately, does not cite its sources. IMPORTANT NOTE: The above source was cited on one of the profiles merged into this one, which gave, Mary Charity Wood, b. abt 1625 in England, m. 1647 in South River Hundred, Anne Arundel, MD, d. bef 1669, Anne Arundel, father Ezekiel Woodward. This website gives Charity Wood, b. abt 1630, England, m. bef 1649, South River Hundred, Anne Arundel, d. bef 1668, Anne Arundel, no parents given.
- WikiTree profile UNKNOWN-301 created through the import of mcdougle 2010-06-30.ged on 01 July 2010 by David McDougle. See the Changes page for the details of edits by David and others.
- WikiTree profile Wood-3122 created through the import of Foster-Volkenant.ged on May 31, 2011 by Terry Foster. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Terry and others.
- WikiTree profile Cheney-404 created through the import of Hummel_Goerl_Cecil_Miller Fami(3).ged on Jun 12, 2011 by Angela Hummel. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Angela and others.
- WikiTree profile Woodward-711 created through the import of My Family File.ged on Aug 31, 2011 by Jane Entwisle. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Jane and others.
- WikiTree profile Woodward-1049 created through the import of Remus Wikitree.ged on Feb 12, 2012 by Fred Remus. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Fred and others.
- WikiTree profile Wood-6120 created through the import of Erin Dunshee_s Family Tree.ged on Sep 23, 2012 by Erin Stover. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Erin and others.
- WikiTree profile Wood-7523 created through the import of Duckett Family.ged on Apr 4, 2013 by Catherine Rivera. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Catherine and others.
- WikiTree profile Surname unknown-5 was created through the import of DanStoneGEDCOM.ged on Jul 1, 2014 by Dan Stone. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Dan and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Charity's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Fred Remus, Catherine Rivera, Dan Stone, David McDougle, Angela Hummel, Terry Foster, Erin Dunshee, and Jane Shipley. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.