- Joseph Underwood's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- Birth abt 1614 London, Middlesex, England
- Marriage MAY 16, 1645 Watertown, Middlesex, Ma
- Wife: Mary Wilder
- Marriage April 26, 1665 Dorchester, Middlesex, Massachusetts
- Admitted freeman MAY 1645
- Position in the community: proprietor of Hingham 1637.
- Death 16 Feb 1676 or 16 Dec 1676 Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts
- Also found Death Place at Watertown, Middlesex, MA, also UK.
Note: Joseph Underwood, another source shows birth about 1614 in England. Came to Massachusetts in 1637. Settled in Hingham, Massachusetts. Later he went to Watertown, Massachusetts. Was admitted Freeman in 1645, and founded the Watertown branch of the Underwoods. Practically all the information on the Underwoods is from The Underwood Families of America by Underwood and Banker, 2 Vols.
- IT IS SAID THAT JOSEPH UNDERWOOD LANDED IN HINGHAM, MASSACHUSETTS IN 1637. JOSEPH WAS BORN ABOUT 1614 IN ENGLAND, AND CAME TO AMERICA AT THE AGE OF 23. JOSEPH WAS AMOUNG THE FIRST SETTLERS IN THIS BAY COLONY COMMUNITY, THE FIRST GROUP CAME IN 1633, AND BY 1639, THERE WERE REPORTEDLY 206 INHABITANTS IN THE "NEW" HINGHAM. APPARENTLY, MOST OF THE SETTLERS CAME FROM THE TOWN OF HINGHAM, ENGLAND, AND TOWNS ADJACENT TO HINGHAM IN THE COUNTY OF NORFOLK, ENGLAND.
- Joseph probably emigrated from London to Virginia in 1635. His brother Thomas ("sometimes woolen draper in London") moved to Hingham, Mass. in 1637, and he probably went with him then; in any event he was admitted freeman at Watertown, Mass. in 1645. His first wife Mary (mother of all the children named above) died in 1658, and he married Mary How of Dorchester 4/29/1665. His brother Thomas died in 1668, apparently childless, as he left his estate first to his widow Magdalen and after her death to his nephew Thomas (Joseph's son) who was living with them. It is possible that the younger Thomas actually married the widow afterward.
- Date: BET 16 DEC 1676 AND 1677
- Place: Watertown, Middlesex, Ma
Imported only 16 DEC 1676 from Death Date and marked as uncertain 
- Savage, James. Genealogical Dictionary of New England, A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, 4 vols. Boston, 186062. Reprint, Baltimore Genealogical Pub. Co., 1965. Burton Barr Central Library 1221 N. Central Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85004
- Ralph Dean Clark Richard Wilder of Shiplake http://ralphinla.rootsweb.com/wildrich.htm Text: This page is a subsidiary of the author's Wilder Genealogy Page.
- The Underwood Families of America, Compiled by Lucien Marcus Underwood, Edited by Howard J. Banker, Volume 1, Press of The New Era Printing Company, Lancaster, PA., 1913. https://archive.org/details/underwoodfamilie01unde
Please visit that page for my research on the Wilder family in England. The author is of the opinion that the legendary English ancestry presented in the various published genealogies written by Rev. Moses Wilder and revised and updated by his descendents is incorrect. That legendary descent is unsupported by available documentation, and appears to have been constructed based on a lot of wishful thinking and a little correspondence with the most prominent line of Wilders in England at the time of Rev. Moses Wilder.
One can only conclude that subsequent researchers have chosen to overlook Rev. Wilder's statement in his book the he had never viewed any English document, and left such study to future research. The author has done research in many English sources, and has come to different conclusions than other authors have presented. In fact, the present author is of the opinion that probably no such person as the legendary patriarch of the family, Nicholas Wilder, the warrior of Bosworth, ever even existed!
This page is presented purely as reference for comparison to the other point of view. Please see the present author's research at Ralph Clark's Wilder Genealogy Page.
Note that some persons on this page have a (T) after their names. This indicates a legendary version of a person for whom a corresponding individual, with additional or alternative information, may be found in the author's index to other pages.
Here follows the Legend (not the genealogy) of Nicholas Wilder. P.O. Box 641188 Los Angeles, CA 90064-1188 Ultimate Family Tree, ver 3.10 Patch CONT CLARKB Project Version 306 April 6, 2006
- ↑ Dorchester Vital Records, Vol. 1, Page 21
- ↑ He was admitted freeman May 1645.12 Note: 12. Henry Bond, Genealogies of the Families and Descendants of the Early Settlers of Watertown, Massachusetts, NEHGS, Boston, 1860.
- ↑ Joseph was a proprietor of Hingham in 1637, afterwards of Watertown
- ↑ Death found both 16 Feb and 16 Dec is a result of the re-numbering of the months, related to the new calander, In the old style, December was the 10th month, February the 12th month, so a date of 16 12 1676 might be read either way.
- ↑ WikiTree GED import: Thomas Sheffield Descendants.ged on Dec 21, 2011 Michael Sheffield & Erin Proctor
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Joseph by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Michael Sheffield, Charles Bitterli, Diann George, and Gregory Nelson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On January 6, 2014 at 23:56GMT Liz Shifflett wrote:
Please note that the two Hannahs have different mothers and were born 18 years apart, so it's more likely that the first Hannah died young than that they're not duplicates. I marked them as rejected.
On January 6, 2014 at 23:52GMT Liz Shifflett wrote:
Good job everyone!
On December 16, 2013 at 19:24GMT Liz Shifflett wrote:
Joseph is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 16 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 27 degrees from Gene Kelly, 15 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.