- Mary (Unknown) Newton's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This profile is a work-in-progress. Under the developing rules on historically-significant ancestors over 300-years-old we are doing expedited merges. The current manager and contact person is Kathy Patterson but this is under the auspices of the [http://groups.google.com/group/WikiEuroAristo European Aristocratic Ancestors User Group] or [http://groups.google.com/group/WikiMayflower Ancestors User Group] so the actual manager is subject to change. Please join the user group to participate in cleaning up and maintaining these profiles. We need one manager to take primary responsibility for each profile. Alvis-9 09:08, 11 April 2012 (EDT)
- The old pink "Isaac Allerton: Mayflower Families in Progress" (1990) has Isaac Allerton's daughter Mary who married John Newton, as family #19. This was accepted at the time Christine Clark became a member of the Society of Mayflower Descendants.
- But The Mayflower Descendant (Vol 42, No 2, p 117-122) from July 1992 has an article by Barbara Lambert Merrick, Historian General of the Mayflower Society, entitled "Important Allerton/Brewster Corrections." Note this is The Mayflower Descendant not the Mayflower Quarterly. Mrs. Merrick describes the origin of the theory of Mary, an otherwise unknown daughter of Isaac Allerton Jr, based on the existence of a man named Allerton Newton, an heir named in the will of Isaac, with no relationship mentioned.
- The key statement is on page 121 of the article is, "Therefore, it will be the stand of the Brewster Five generations Project that Isaac Allerton's known daughter, Sarah (Allerton) (Newton) Lee was the mother of Allerton Newton. The unproven lines of descent through a reputed daughter Mary and her Newton heirs will be eliminated from MFIP/Brewster [and Allerton]."
- Since I am a descendant of John Newton, I copied the article in 1994. William Newton, son of John Newton and Mary his wife, is mentioned in the article but has no tie to the Allertons, a conclusion supported by the fact that Isaac Allerton did not mention him as a grandson in his will.
- Many online genealogies continue to show Mary Allerton as the wife of John Newton, obviously because once a name is linked to one's family tree, it is challenging to keep up with research and impossible to delete that name.
- Text: Merrick, Barbara Lambert, Historian General of the Mayflower Society. "Important Allerton/Brewster Corrections." The Mayflower Descendant (Vol 42, No 2, p 117-122), July 1992.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Mary's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson and Fontaine Wiatt. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Mary is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 21 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 22 degrees from Mark Hamill, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.