This person was part of the Puritan Great Migration.
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
- DISPUTED ORIGINS: This merged profile follows Robert Charles Anderson's profile of Robert Hicks in The Great Migration Begins, Boston, MA: 1995, starting on page 927. Those findings conclude that:
- there is proof of only one wife for Robert Hicks-- Margaret; there is no proof of an earlier wife, Elizabeth Morgan
- there is no record of any marriage for Robert, although his first several children's baptisms were found in Bermondsey, England.
- there is no proof that his only known wife Margaret was daughter of Winslow.
Therefore, the profile of the wife of Robert Hicks has been changed to Margaret Unknown. IF there is more recent research that changes Anderson's findings, please bring it to our attention. Please do NOT attach Edward Winslow or either of his two wives as her parents. Thank you.
Already married, Margaret Hicks arrived at Plymouth in 1623 on the Anne with her children Samuel and Lydia to join her husband Robert who had sailed two years prior. (Also on the same ship with her was Edward Bangs who would marry her daughter Lydia.)
In her will dated 8 July 1665, exhibited 6 March 1665/66, the widow Margaret Hicks of Plymouth named her son Samuel Hicks, daughter-in-law Lydia Hicks, son Samuel's seven children, grandchild John Bangs, and children of her loving deceased daughter Phebe, who had married George Watson
She died after 1665 and before 6 March 1665/6, date of her will being probated. She is likely the mother of the following Hicks children:
- Thomas bap 19 Feb 1603/4 bur 23 Apr 1604
- John bap 12 Oct 1605 No further record
- Sara bap 25 Oct 1607 bur 24 Feb 1617/8
- Richard bap 17 Sep 1609 No further record
- Samuel bap 18 Aug 1611 M 11 Sep 1645 Lydia Doan (dau John doane)
- Lydia, bp. 6 September 1612; m. by about 1633 EDWARD BANGS and died shortly after giving him a son, John Bangs.
- Phoebe, bp. 15 March 1614/5; m. by about 1636 George Watson (their daughter Phebe m. Jonathan Shaw on 22 January 1656 
Last Will & Testament
Dated 8 July 1665; proved 6 Mar 1665/6, "Margarett Hickes widow of the town of Plymouth" bequeathed to "my son Samuell Hickes" L5; to "my daughter-in-law Lydia Hickes" 30s; to "my son Samuell's children" 10s each "there being seven of them"; said legacies to be paid by "son Samuell Hickes" from his debt "he having already received a large portion of that which God hath given me ot only in lands but also in goods and chattels which was not only my husband's and son Ephraim's estate formerly but also given to me by will at y son Ephraim's death"; to "my grandchild John Banges" 40s; residue to "the children of my son-in-law Gorg Watson and my loving daughter that is deceased Phebe Watson," also said estate to be "at the dispose of my son-in-law Gorg Watson"; "my son-in-law Gorg Watson and my friend Captain Southworth" overseers [PCPR 2:2:32, abstracted in MD 16:157-58]. The inventory of Margaret Hickes, taken 5 Mar 1665/6.
- ↑ Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-33, p 2025
- ↑ Mayflower Descendant 16:157-58; see also Plymouth Colony Its History & People 1620 - 1691 by Aubrey Stratton - 1986
- ↑ PVR 662 as cited in The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-33
- ↑ Robert Charles Anderson, Great Migration Begins, Boston, MA: NEHGS, 1995, p 926-7
Searching for someone else?
- Margaret Piersol Morgan
- Margaret (Doak) Morgan
- Mary (Walleson) Blencow
- Margaret (Norman) Morgan
- Margaret E. (Downey) Hicks
- Margaret D. (Hicks) Roddey
- Margaret D (Hicks) Munday
- Margaret (Chastelyn) Winslow
- Margaret (Hicks) Lawson
- Margaret (X.) Hicks
- Elizabeth Morgan
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Margaret's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jillaine Smith, Bob Carson, Ron Callahan, and Tayler Mccormick. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On January 13, 2014 at 02:40GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On January 12, 2014 at 20:12GMT Jacqueline Overland wrote:
U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 Name:Robert Hicks Gender:Male Birth Place:En Birth Year:1570 Spouse Name:Margaret Winslow Spouse Birth Place:12 Spouse Birth Year:1589 Marriage Year:1610 Marriage State:MA Number Pages:1