- Margaret (Unknown) Hicks's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
Despite claims made on many unsourced online family trees, she was the only known wife of Robert Hicks, and her maiden name and origins remain unknown. She was not Margaret Winslow.
Already married, Margaret (_______) Hicks arrived at Plymouth in 1623 on the Anne with her children Samuel and Lydia to join her husband Robert who had sailed two years prior. (Also on the same ship with her was Edward Bangs who would marry her daughter Lydia.)
Dated 8 July 1665; proved 6 Mar 1665/6, "Margarett Hickes widow of the town of Plymouth" bequeathed to "my son Samuell Hickes" L5; to "my daughter-in-law Lydia Hickes" 30s; to "my son Samuell's children" 10s each "there being seven of them"; said legacies to be paid by "son Samuell Hickes" from his debt "he having already received a large portion of that which God hath given me ot only in lands but also in goods and chattels which was not only my husband's and son Ephraim's estate formerly but also given to me by will at y son Ephraim's death"; to "my grandchild John Banges" 40s; residue to "the children of my son-in-law Gorg Watson and my loving daughter that is deceased Phebe Watson," also said estate to be "at the dispose of my son-in-law Gorg Watson"; "my son-in-law Gorg Watson and my friend Captain Southworth" overseers [PCPR 2:2:32, abstracted in MD 16:157-58]. The inventory of Margaret Hickes, taken 5 Mar 1665/6.
- This list needs confirming against original records.
- ↑ Robert Charles Anderson, Great Migration Begins, Boston, MA: NEHGS, 1995, p 926-7
- ↑ Mayflower Descendant, 16:157-58; see also Plymouth Colony Its History & People 1620 - 1691 by Aubrey Stratton - 1986
Sir Robert Hicks I, the emigrant, was born about 1575 and married Margaret Morgan in England in 1596.
- There is no proof that Robert Hicks had any other spouse besides Margaret Unknown. We have requested that this Margaret Morgan be merged away into Margaret Unknown, using Margaret Unknown's vitals.
He had four children: Elizabeth, Thomas, John II, and Stephen.
Margaret Morgan died about 1607.
In 1610, Sir Robert I married in London a second time, Margaret Winslow, by whome he had four more children: Samuel, Ephain, Lydia, and Phebe.
- NOTE: There is no evidence to support that he was married to Margaret Winslow.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Margaret's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jillaine Smith, Linda Plummer, David McKnight, Kim Elder, Tayler Mccormick, Bob Carson, and Ron Callahan. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On May 18, 2015 at 13:56GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On May 18, 2015 at 13:22GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On May 18, 2015 at 04:16GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On May 18, 2015 at 04:15GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On November 13, 2014 at 04:17GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On November 13, 2014 at 03:11GMT J Overland wrote:
On January 13, 2014 at 02:40GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On January 12, 2014 at 20:12GMT J Overland wrote:
U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 Name:Robert Hicks Gender:Male Birth Place:En Birth Year:1570 Spouse Name:Margaret Winslow Spouse Birth Place:12 Spouse Birth Year:1589 Marriage Year:1610 Marriage State:MA Number Pages:1