== Disputed Origins == As set out below in the quote from FMG, the origins of Adelais are not known. There are many theories, but no proof. For this reason, Adelais has been separated from any parents. PLEASE DO NOT add parents.
"The origin of Adelais has been the subject of much speculation. Settipani has suggested that she was the daughter of Hugues Comte en Bourgogne and his wife Willa von Thurgau. Chaume suggested that Adelais was the daughter or granddaughter of Charles Constantin Comte de Vienne. Bouchard sets out several different theories concerning Adelais's origin, with the aim mainly of explaining Lambert's accession to Chalon by inheritance through his wife. However, none appears to be based on any primary documentation and Bouchard concludes that she prefers "to leave Adelais's origins unknown". An earlier theory was that Adelais was the sister of "Wera" Ctss de Meaux, which would mean that she was Adelais, daughter of Giselbert Duke of Burgundy & his wife Ermengarde [of Burgundy]. Duchesne suggested that she was the daughter of Robert Comte de Meaux et de Troyes, although this would mean that the two wives of Geoffroy I Comte d'Anjou were sisters, no mention of which has so far been found in contemporary sources. Another suggestion is that Adelais Ctss de Chalon was the same person as Wera-Adelais Ctss de Meaux. However, this is even more unlikely from a chronological perspective considering the estimated birth date of Wera-Adelais and the fact that Adelais de Chalon gave birth to at least one child by her second husband, Geoffroy Comte d'Anjou, after her marriage in 979. It would also mean that Comte Geoffroy married, as his second wife, his first wife's mother which is unlikely to have been accepted by the church. In 1619, Duchesne suggested that Adelais was the sister of Guillaume I Comte d'Arles. Adelais married secondly (2 or 9 Mar 979) as his second wife, Geoffroi I "Grisegonelle" Comte d'Anjou, who acted as Comte de Chalon until his death in 987."
Adela m.1 (before 965) GEOFFROY I “Grisegonelle” Comte d'Anjou, son of FOULQUES II Comte d’Anjou & his first wife Gerberge [de Maine] (-21 Jul 987). Adela died and Geoffroy married, second, (2 or 9 Mar 979) ADELAIS, widow of LAMBERT Comte de Chalon. (They had one child: Maurice.)
- Adela de Meaux and Geoffroy had Issue:
- 1. ERMENGARDE d'Anjou (before 965-after 982).
- 2. FOULQUES d'Anjou (970-Metz 21 Jun 1040, bur Beaulieu-lez-Loche, Abbaye de Saint-Pierre).
- 3. GEOFFROY (-after 6 Mar 974).
- 4. GERBERGE d'Anjou (974 or before-after 1 Apr 1040).
- Ancestry family trees
|Our main source for medieval genealogy in the EuroAristo Project is the FMG database MEDIEVAL LANDS: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families by Charles Cawley,© Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, 2000-2013.|
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Adelaide's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Roger Travis, Danielle Mc Donough, Robert Harter, Richard Ragland, Björn Lohnert, and Carl Tanner. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On June 29, 2014 at 22:33GMT Vic Watt wrote:
I have inserted a note regarding Disputed Origins, and I would like to change her LNAB to Unknown. Any objections?
On March 18, 2013 at 21:54GMT Vic Watt wrote:
On March 18, 2013 at 21:49GMT Vic Watt wrote:
On March 1, 2013 at 13:35GMT Roger Travis wrote: