Geoffrey's two wives have been merged into one.
He married 1st (966?) Adele, daughter of Robert, Count of Meaux and of Troyes, younger son of Herbert II of Vermandois. Children: Fulk III, Geoffrey, Ermengarde, Gerberge.
He married 2nd (979) Adelaide Unknown, widow of Lambert, Count of Chalon. Children: Maurice.
PS Actually I can't see a bad merge in the log. She was doing very nicely as Adele de Meaux. But somewhere along the line she acquired the other wife's first husband and a piece of bio that related to the other wife. Then instead of undoing these mistakes, people thought she was supposed to be the other wife and continued the mutation process.
So now she's in limbo. She could be fully mutated into the second wife, or she could quite easily be unmutated back into the first wife.
- Adele de Meaux, aka de Troyes
- Father Robert (de Vermandois) Comte de Meaux
- Mother Adelaide-Werra of Burgundy
- Birth before 950 DateGuess
- Death before 979
- Marriage before 965
- Places no idea
- Adelaide Unknown (Comtesse de Chalon)
- Widow of Count Lambert
- Birth about 950 DateGuess
- Death after 999
- Marriage 979
- Places no idea
[Referring to Geoffrey's second wife]
== Disputed Origins == As set out below in the quote from FMG, the origins of Adelais are not known. There are many theories, but no proof. For this reason, Adelais has been separated from any parents. PLEASE DO NOT add parents.
[Referring to Geoffrey's second wife]
"The origin of Adelais has been the subject of much speculation. Settipani has suggested that she was the daughter of Hugues Comte en Bourgogne and his wife Willa von Thurgau. Chaume suggested that Adelais was the daughter or granddaughter of Charles Constantin Comte de Vienne. Bouchard sets out several different theories concerning Adelais's origin, with the aim mainly of explaining Lambert's accession to Chalon by inheritance through his wife. However, none appears to be based on any primary documentation and Bouchard concludes that she prefers "to leave Adelais's origins unknown". An earlier theory was that Adelais was the sister of "Wera" Ctss de Meaux, which would mean that she was Adelais, daughter of Giselbert Duke of Burgundy & his wife Ermengarde [of Burgundy]. Duchesne suggested that she was the daughter of Robert Comte de Meaux et de Troyes, although this would mean that the two wives of Geoffroy I Comte d'Anjou were sisters, no mention of which has so far been found in contemporary sources. Another suggestion is that Adelais Ctss de Chalon was the same person as Wera-Adelais Ctss de Meaux. However, this is even more unlikely from a chronological perspective considering the estimated birth date of Wera-Adelais and the fact that Adelais de Chalon gave birth to at least one child by her second husband, Geoffroy Comte d'Anjou, after her marriage in 979. It would also mean that Comte Geoffroy married, as his second wife, his first wife's mother which is unlikely to have been accepted by the church. In 1619, Duchesne suggested that Adelais was the sister of Guillaume I Comte d'Arles. Adelais married secondly (2 or 9 Mar 979) as his second wife, Geoffroi I "Grisegonelle" Comte d'Anjou, who acted as Comte de Chalon until his death in 987."
[From now on, applies to Geoffrey's first wife]
Adele of Meaux (b. bef. , d. 974 after 6 Mar), was a daughter of Robert of Vermandois. She is often confused with Adelaide of Chalon, who was also known as Adelaide-Werra, Adelaide of Burgundy, and/or possibly Adelais de Vergy.
- Adele married Geoffrey I of Anjou, as his first wife, and had children:
- Fulk III of Anjou (b. before 965, d after 982)
- Ermengarde of Anjou, who married Conan I of Rennes
- Gerberga of Anjou (b. 974 or before, d. after 1 Apr 1040)
- Gottfried of Anjou (after 6 Mar 974)
From MedLands :
Adela m.1 (before 965) GEOFFROY I “Grisegonelle” Comte d'Anjou, son of FOULQUES II Comte d’Anjou & his first wife Gerberge [de Maine] (-21 Jul 987). Adela died and Geoffroy married, second, (2 or 9 Mar 979) ADELAIS, widow of LAMBERT Comte de Chalon. (They had one child: Maurice.)
- Adela de Meaux and Geoffroy had Issue:
- 1. ERMENGARDE d'Anjou (before 965-after 982).
- 2. FOULQUES d'Anjou (970-Metz 21 Jun 1040, bur Beaulieu-lez-Loche, Abbaye de Saint-Pierre).
- 3. GEOFFROY (-after 6 Mar 974).
- 4. GERBERGE d'Anjou (974 or before-after 1 Apr 1040).
Searching for someone else?
- Adelaide (Vermandois) Crépy
- Adelaide (Capet) Vermandois
- Adelaide (DeVermandois Meaux Anjou) Greygown Anjou
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- Name-alikes... Dec 23, 2014.
No known carriers of Adelaide's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Robert Harter, Richard Ragland, Björn Lohnert, Danielle Mc Donough, and Carl Tanner. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On June 29, 2014 at 22:33GMT Vic Watt wrote:
I have inserted a note regarding Disputed Origins, and I would like to change her LNAB to Unknown. Any objections?
On March 18, 2013 at 21:54GMT Vic Watt wrote:
On March 18, 2013 at 21:49GMT Vic Watt wrote:
On March 1, 2013 at 13:35GMT Roger Travis wrote:
Adelaide is 26 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 29 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 24 degrees from Mark Hamill, 31 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 26 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.