According to George E. McCracken, the name of William Buell's wife was not memorialized in the record of their 18 November 1640 marriage. Her given name, Mary, is known "from other sources" but no more has been learned by which her maiden name or parentage could be known. McCracken explained specifically that while her surname is sometimes reported as Thomas or Post, "No evidence for these names has been discovered."
Mary was born in 1616. ... She passed away in 1684. Birth ABT 1619? There seems to be some controversy about Mary's birth date, 1608, 1616 and 1619. Other dates are in agreement.
Mary was born July 17, 1608 at Chesterton, Huntingdon, England.
Marriage 18 NOV 1640 Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut; Also found also seen as 13 Nov 1640, possibly a mis-reading of a manuscript Death: Date: 1 SEP 1684 Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut
The will of Mary Buell
- I Mary Buell, being very weak and nigh to death, but having my natural Understanding, having some smale things to dispose of, my Will is that my Eldest daughter Mary Mills shall have my Westcoate, Coat, & that Hatt which was Sarah's , ...
The inventory of the estate of Mary Buell was fairly extensive. It included things such as "3 Linsy wolsy cottes & ould waskets" a "carsy peticote," stockings 2 pr."
- ↑ George E. McCracken, "William Buell & Early Descendants." The American Genealogist 54 (1978):66 (in particular part); digital images, AmericanAncestors.org (accessed 2014).
- ↑ Charles William Manwaring, A digest of the early Connecticut probate records, 3 vols. (1904-1906), 1:280 Widow Mary Buell; digital images, Hathi Trust (accessed 2014).
- ↑ Helen Schatvet Hartford Co CT, County Court Minutes, Vol 3 & 4; Ullmann, p.396.
- Helen Schatvet Hartford Co CT, County Court Minutes, Vol 3 & 4; Ullmann, p.396. Report entry of 24 Mar 1684/5 for "Last will & Inventory of the widow Buell proved & ordered recorded."
- Find A Grave Memorial #46344639
- Welles, Albert. American Family Antiquity (Society Library, New York, 1881) Vol. 1, Page 49
- Manwaring, Charles William. A Digest of the Early Connecticut Probate Records (R. S. Peck & Co., Printers, 1904)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Mary's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Ed Poor, Lydia Vierson, Matt Caddy, bfs, Kay Carter, and Judith Painter-McGregor. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On October 15, 2015 at 15:51GMT Darlene Bora wrote:
She was the widow of William Buel (Bewell). They were married on Nov. 18, 1640 in Windsor and her surname was not given.
William left his wife two parcels of land, one by the Gravell Hill and one by the Mill Brook. Mary "Bewell", his relict, made oath 6 Mar 1681/1682 that she had made a true presentment of his estate and the distribution was accepted.
The inventory of her estate was taken Oct. 11, 1684 by James Hilliard & Samuel Barber and amounted to 19-15-06. Her will dated August, 1684 as follows: (it will not all fit, so see information at findagrave.com)
On November 1, 2014 at 11:46GMT GeneJ X wrote:
On November 1, 2014 at 11:45GMT GeneJ X wrote:
On October 31, 2014 at 22:26GMT GeneJ X wrote:
On October 31, 2014 at 21:40GMT GeneJ X wrote:
On October 31, 2014 at 19:50GMT GeneJ X wrote:
P.S. I'll tidy up the bio to cite and summarize the extraction.
On October 30, 2014 at 19:04GMT Kay Wilson wrote:
On October 30, 2014 at 17:47GMT GeneJ X wrote:
Source that follows reports about Abraham Post and his wife "Ann Hurst," and calls out their daughter Mary. That daughter, however, is reported to have married Allen Wenn, not William Buell.
Records of the baptisms Abraham Post's children are found at Hollingbourne in Kent, England. Given the birth information about William Buell's wife, how would she be associated as Abraham's daughter?
How can this conflict be resolved?
Mary is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 37 degrees from Anne Frank, 18 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 24 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.