- Barent Van de Cuyl's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
The last name is also rendered Kool in church records.
|Barent Van de Cuyl belongs to a New Netherland family.|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the New Netherland Settlers Project!
- Barent Jacobsen Kool was born in Holland about 1610. He died about 1676 in Kingston, Ulster Co., New York. Barent Jacobsen Kool was the son of Jacob Arendsen Kool and Aeltje Dirckse. Jacob Arendsen Kool was born 1580 in Vyfretch, Holland. His son Barent Jacobsen Kool came to America in the services of the West-India Company. He was married in 1637 in Holland to Marretje Leendertse De Graeuw, the daughter of Leendert Arentzen and Leuntie Alberts (Lydecker) De Graeuw, a member of one of the Walloon families who were the first settlers of New Amsterdam. The baptisms of their nine children all appear on the records of the Reformed Dutch Church of New Amsterdam, except that of his eldest son, Jacob Barentsen Cool, who was born in 1639. The De Graeuws came to America in 1638 in the ship Dolphin.
- It is possible. that Barent Jacobsen Cool came over with Peter Minuit in 1625. However, beginning with 1633, he can be traced through civil records, and, beginning with 1640, he can be traced through church and civil records down to 1665. Barent Jacobsen Cool sailed to New Amsterdam, on one of his sailings possibly from Amsterdam as a sailor in late 1632 on the ship Soutberg, which arrived in April 1633 with 140 soldiers. At that time, New Amsterdam, now New York City, had a population of only 400 to 500 people. On June 8, 1633, he and six others signed a treaty with the Sickename Indians for purchasing land on the Connecticut River. Barent's group also built a trading house called "The House of Good Hope" and fortified it with several cannons. This was done to halt English exploration of the land.
- Barent was born in 1610. Barent Van de Cuyl ... He passed away in 1676.
- Barent Jacobsen Kool
- Barent Vande Cuyle
- Born 1595 in Amsterdam, Holland
- 18 MAY 1610
- New York, New York
- Age: 22-23
- Child: Jacob Barentsen Cool
- Child: Aaltje Cool
- Child: Deborah Cool
- Child: Applonia Cool
- Child: Leendert Cool
- Child: Arent Cool
- Child: Teunis Cool
- Child: Arent Cool
- Child: Pieter Cool
- Kingston, Ulster, New York, USA
- Age: 65-66
- Died in Amsterdam, Holland
- Note: Cool Westfall Gonsales-Duk family history
- Note: Barent's story
- Note: Information from "The Kool (Cool or Cole) Family in America
- "History of Ulster County, New York," (Philadelphia, Everts & Peck, 1880) Part I, page 34
- The Abridged Compendium of American Genealogy: First Families of America" (subtitled, "A Geneological Encyclopedia of the United States) - (Genealogical Publishing Company. Baltimore: 1987.
- Source: S-2049665188 Repository: #R-2139194211 Title: Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. Note: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created. Page: Ancestry Family Trees Note: Data: Repository: R-2139194211 Name: Ancestry.com Address: http://www.Ancestry.com Note:
- Source S356: Title: Settlers of the Beekman Patent: Abbreviation: Beekman Patent Settlers: Author: Frank J. Doherty: Publication: Frank J. Doherty, Pleasant Valley, NY 12569, ongoing
- ↑ Source: #S356 Chapter 42, The Cole Families
- ↑ : Source: #S356 Page: Additions and Corrections, p. 932
Changes & Merges
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Barent's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Michelle Hartley, Herbert Wolfe, and Rich Davis. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On December 16, 2014 at 04:08GMT Steven Mix wrote:
On October 2, 2014 at 22:44GMT Steven Mix wrote:
The wife looks to be the same, but I need to look at it more closely.
The son Cornelius has the right patronymic to be the son of Barent. But the matching son Cornelius is from a later generation, and also has the wrong patronymic, Theunis, so he cannot be the son of Barent.
Let's just leave it all Unmerged Match until we get better clarity on this line.
On July 9, 2014 at 23:35GMT Steven Mix wrote:
It looks to be a completely independent line, because I cannot spot any common descendants, ancestors, or patronymics between them, and the dates in the tree there all appear to be orderly as well.
On June 29, 2014 at 16:13GMT Liz Shifflett wrote:
On March 12, 2014 at 14:20GMT Michelle Hartley wrote: