This biography is a rough draft. It was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import and needs to be edited.
- User ID: 8E91434B-25B3-41B9-A947-FB184F1C96CA
- Record ID Number: MH:IF1
- Date: 1762
- Place: Ireland
- User ID: 6938EBA3-FA9A-4774-B380-3583ECFEC052
- Record ID Number: MH:IF2
- Date: 14 JUL 1842
- Place: Hawkins Co., TN
Record ID Number
- Record ID Number: MH:I1
- User ID: 2420713A-0254-4B2C-8B7E-8F0F97849C50
- Note: Transcribed Day/Datebook of Nancy Callicott Vaughan, With Analysis
- By Helen Vaughan Michael
- James was Born october the 15 day 1795
- NOTE: Beverly Callicott (Nancys father entered by mistake/marked out)
- Beverley Vaughan Was Born January the 4 day 1798
- NOTE: year dates are marked out and changed/some major calendar issue?
- James and Beverly are born in VA
- . All others born in TN
- Polly Vaughan Was Born April the 12 day 1800
- Rebekah greaer (unknown entry) Was Born June the 24 day 1802
- Benjamin Vaughan Was Born November the 1 day 1804
- Nancy Vaughan was Born January the 19 day 1807
- Mahaly Vaughan was bornd the 10th day of March in the year of our Lord 1809
- NOTE: Later records say Mahala
- John Vaughan was Bornd in the year of our Lord september the 28 day 1811
- Samuel Vaughan was bornd february the 11 day in the year of Lord 1814
- Martha Vaughan was bornd in the year of our Lord July the 2 day _____1815
- George W. Vaughan was bornd in the year of our Lord June the 15th day 1820
- _________ _______ ______ ______ _______ _____ ______ _____ _______
- this above is the Record
- James Jones was bornd in the year of our Lord January the 27 day 1822
- _____ _________ __________ ________ ________ _______ ______ ___
- No more at preazent
- NOTE: next entries are wife and children of George Washington Vaughan
- Mary Jane (Brown) Vaughan Was Bornd in the Year of our lord May 22 1818
- John Franklin Vaughan WAS Bornd April the 4th day 1841
- May Uldah Jane Vaughan Was Bornd on the 14 day 1842?
- Tennessee Vaughan Was Bornd Dec the day 1843
- This family eventually change spelling to Vaughn
- NOTE: Handwriting changes at least three times; Spelling, twice: Wording, three times. All entries reflect education.
- NOTE: GWV has not yet changed his name.
- NOTE: Book was in Benjamins possession in 1858.
- Note: VALLEY FORGE MUSTER ROLL
- Personal ID: VA08985
- Last Name: Vaughn First Name: John Suffix:
- Rank: GUNNER Rank Type: RANK AND FILE Ethnicity:
- Brigade: ARTILLERY BRIGADE Company: BROWN'S CO.
- State: VA Regiment: 1 ART Division: SUPPORT DIVISION
- Monthly Muster Roll Status
- December 1777:
- January 1778:
- February 1778:
- March 1778:
- April 1778: PROMOTED FROM MATROSS 5 APRIL 1778.
- May 1778:
- June 1778:
- Additional Remarks (if any):
- VAUGHAN, JOHN Ancestor #: A134971
- Service: MARYLAND Rank: SERGEANT
- Birth: (CIRCA) 1762
- Death: 7-14-1842 HAWKINS CO TENNESSEE
- Pension Number: R10920V
- Service Source: R10920V; MD ARCH,VOL 18, PP 576, 580, 582, 583
- Service Description: 1) CAPT WILLIAM BROWN, COL CHARLES HARRISON,
- 2) REGT OF ARTILLERY
- 1) State: MARYLAND
- Number Name
- 1) NANCY CALLICOTT
- Associated Applications and Supplementals
- Natl Num Add Vol. Docs Child/Spouse Number/Spouse
- 804707 GEORGE WASHINGTON /  MARY JANE X
- 865020 GEORGE WASHINGTON /  MARY JANE X
- Note: John Vaughn was born ca. 1762. In 1777 he enlisted in Captain William Browns Co. of Maryland Artillery and served on the Continental Line for the duration of the Revolutionary War. His records are detailed in Vol. XVIII, Archives of Maryland and the national Archives. After the war he drifted to Charlotte Co. VA where he first met Nancy in 1788.
- John next appears on records we have found, filing for a marriage license in Charlotte County, Virginia on October 5th, 1792 with Nancy Callicott. Apparently the 15 year old Nancy was too young and her father didnt agree to the wedding, so they ran off to Halifax County, Virginia and were married on October 16, 1794. They lived there until they moved to Hawkins County, Tennessee in 1798. Whereas Nancys ancestry is well-known and researched, Johns line has remained a mystery. It has always been a family tradition that John and William were brothers, but we never knew if this was due tothe two men, who had children that married, simply having the same surname, or if there was truth in these stories.
- John and Nancys son James married William and Ferebys daughter, Martha and James even had the widowed Fereby living in his household in Arkansas.
- While William was living in Hawkins County, Tennessee, on August 15, 1797 he bought land from William McClean (250 acres) on the North side of Clinch Mountain on Little War Creek in Hawkins County.
- On April 15, 1800, William sold 100 acres to John Helton. Helton resold the land to John and Nancy (Callicott) Vaughan.
- John and Nancy lived the rest of their lives in Hawkins County, Tennessee.
- WILL OF JOHN VAUGHAN
- Page 474 Dated: Dec. 27, 1841
- Proven: Aug. Term 1842
- I, John Vaughan of the County of Hawkins and State of Tennessee, do make this my last Will & Testament hereby revoking and making void all former wills by me heretofore made.
- First. My will and desire is that all my just debts be paid out of any money that I may die possessed of, or that may first come into the hands of my Executors.
- Second. My will and desire is that my son George Washington, for and in consideration of the bequests hereinafter made to him do keep and support my wife Nancy Vaughan during her natural life.
- Third. I do give and bequeath unto my sons Samuel N. Vaughan and Benjamin Vaughan during their natural lives and then to their lawful heirs forever all my lands on the north side of Clinch Mountain, it being about 110 acres and 10 acres on the south side to copper ridge whereon the said Samuel N. Vaughan now lives, to be equally divided between them according to quality.
- Fourth. I do will and direct that the above named Samuel N. and Benjamin Vaughan for and in consideration of the above bequest shall within 12 months after my death jointly pay unto my son John Vaughan $100.00.
- Fifth. I give and bequeath unto my son George Washington Vaughan all my land whereon I now live and joining it being about 170 acres, together with all my personal estate that I may die possessed of or entitled to, and all money and debts due me except so much as may be necessary to supply the bequests made in this will in money.
- Sixth. Whereas my sons Beverly Vaughan and James L. Vaughan has gone to parts unknown, if they should return within two years after my death, I do give and bequeath to them one dollar each.
- Seventh. I do give and bequeath unto the heirs of my daughter Mahala Dickerd one dollar.
- Eighth. I do give and bequeath unto my daughter Mary Gilliam one dollar.
- Ninth. I do give and bequeath unto my daughter Rebecca Roller $1.00.
- Tenth. I do give and bequeath unto my daughter Nancy Hickman $1.00.
- Eleventh. I do give and bequeath unto my daughter Martha Davis $1.00.
- And for the performance and execution of this my last will, I do appoint Robert W. Kinkead my Executor. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal. This 27th day of December, 1841.
- John x Vaughan (seal)
- (his mark)
- In presence of: William Carmack, James T. Brice, William E. Carmack
- John Vaughn was born ca. 1762. In 1777 he enlisted in Captain William Browns Co. of Maryland Artillery and served on the Continental Line for the duration of the Revolutionary War. His records are detailed in Vol. XVIII, Archives of Maryland and the national Archives. After the war he drifted to Charlotte Co. VA where he first met Nancy in 1788.
- (Callicott Connections I, Page 130)
- WikiTree profile Vaughan-335 created through the import of JohnVaughan.ged on Oct 11, 2011 by Tim Childress. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Tim and others.
- Source: S1 Record ID Number: MH:S1 User ID: 310E29F2-131F-4CFC-8D59-359D29D0BD58 Title: Neil Elvick.com Text: http://www.neilelvick.com/chap_5.htm#revwar Page: John Vaughn Data: Date: 14 MAY 2008 Text: Added by confirming a Smart Match Quality or Certainty of Data: 3
- Source: S2 Record ID Number: MH:S2 User ID: BFD0AEEE-5499-464C-9754-3F83858BA783 Title: Helen Michael Vaughan
- Source: S3 Record ID Number: MH:S3 User ID: 13A801EA-337D-4863-8571-FA31C86907C6 Title: http://valleyforgemusterroll.org
- Source: S4 Record ID Number: MH:S4 User ID: 32CADBC8-B1C5-4998-9869-25249727E7AA Title: DAR
- Source: S5 Record ID Number: MH:S5 User ID: 8BC9A9F1-C8B4-41AE-9E93-A469C6A46177 Title: Callicott Connections
This biography was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import. It's a rough draft and needs to be edited.
- Name: John /Vaughan/
- Given Name: John
- Surname: Vaughan
- Date: Abt 1744
- User ID: BC4968C6D98E4DF99BC65E95DDB115754C53
- Data Changed:
- Date: 27 Apr 2012
- Time: 20:10
- Date: 27 Apr 2012
Prior to import, this record was last changed 20:10 27 Apr 2012.
- ↑ Source: #S2
- ↑ Source: #S3
- ↑ Source: #S4
- ↑ Source: #S5
- ↑ Vaughan-1280 was created by Jim Protz through the import of GED for WIKI.ged on Mar 14, 2014. This comment and citation can be deleted after the biography has been edited and primary sources are included.
- ↑ Source: #S2 Page: 8. Quality or Certainty of Data: 3
- ↑ Source: #S2 Page: 8. Quality or Certainty of Data: 3
- Source: S2 Abbreviation: Family History - Vaughan Pioneers Title: Vaughan Pioneers Author: Lewis E. Vaughan Publication: Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, Inc, 1979. Text: Subtitled: William and Fereby Vaughan of Russell County, Virginia and their Descendants Repository: #R87 Italicized: Y Paranthetical: Y
- Repository: R87 Name: Fayetteville Public Library Address: Fayetteville Public Library CONT 401 W. Mountain St CONT Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701 United States Name: Fayetteville Public Library Address 1: 401 W. Mountain St City: Fayetteville State: Arkansas Postal Code: 72701 Country: United States Phone Number: 479-856-7000 URL: www.faylib.org
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of John's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Kitty Chandler and Jim Protz. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On June 23, 2014 Kitty Chandler wrote: