- Athanaric Visigoths's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Visigoth Ruling Families.
"Athanaric (d. c. 381 CE), a king of the Thervingi Goths (Visigoths) and, according to some ... the first and greatest king. He was of the noble Balts family of the Thervingi tribe and a relative of the later king of the Visigoths Alaric I (reigned 395-410 CE)."
Name: Aþanareiks (Gothic); Athanaricus (Latin);
House: Balthes (Balti Dynasty)
b. 318 or 324 Toledo (modern day Spain)
d. [25 JAN 380 Byzantium (Istanbul)]
- dau. ____
"He was the most powerful of the three "judges" leading the three groups of Visigoths at the end of their time in Dacia. He fiercely persecuted the Christians in Dacia (364-376). Because of that he engaged in a civil war against his rival "judge" Fritigern. Eventually he was defeated by the Huns after which he fled to the Transylvanian mountains. In 381 he was received in Constantinople by the roman emperor Theodosius I with royal honours. However, he died two weeks later. Meaning of Athanaric: "powerful ruler"."
- Antharic was only a relative of Alaric I (reigned 394-410 CE).
- "Antharic." Ancient History Encyclopedia.
- Delaforce, P. & Baldry, K., (2006, February 13). "Early Goths." The Delaforce Family History. Web.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Athanaric's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Bob Fields, Stephen Bridges, and Enrique Treat Gleason Aguiluz. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Athanaric is 49 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 65 degrees from Anne Frank, 51 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 52 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 45 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.