- John Ward's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This biography was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import. It's a rough draft and needs to be edited.
- 25 APR 1755
- Culpeper Co., VA
- 15 SEP 1838
- Stokes Co., NC
- Event: American Rev. 1776 Pvt., VA Line, Cpt Green's Regiment under Colonel Patrick Henry
- Event: American Rev. 1777 Pvt., Cpt Rucker, at General Washington's camp 3
- Event: American Rev. 1778 Surry Co., NC, Cpt Henry Smith, Gen Rutherford
- Event: American Rev. 1778 Wagon driver to the Yadkin River.
- SAR Patriot Index #487188
- John Ward was born April 25,1755, in Culpeper County, Virginia. He died September 15, 1838, in Stokes County, North Carolina. On December 21,1779, he married Rachel Vernon. She was born September 27, 1759 in Culpeper County, Virginia. She died after February 23, 1839 in Stokes County, NC She was a daughter of Jonathan Vernon, Sr. and Rebecca Worth.
- John Ward was a private in the company commanded by Captain Green of the regiment commanded by Col. Patrick Henry in the Virginia line. He served 19 months and 2 days, being stationed in Williamsburg and discharged September 3, 1776. In 1777, he volunteered in Culpeper County, Virginia, under Capt. Rucker and marched to the camp of General Washington for a period of 3 months. There he served by reconnoitering the position of the enemy.
- In 1778, he moved to Surry County, NC (later Stokes County) and enlisted in the Militia under Capt. Henry Smith and Gen. Rutherford. He marched south to Savannah River where he patrolled the river to prevent crossing by the British. He later served as a wagon driver of the provision wagon in Charleston, South Carolina. He enlisted still another term as Wagon driver to the Yadkin River. (pension File #W-9872). Besides all the family information given by the widow of John Ward in her application for pension, there was also a family record kept which listed the parents of John Ward as being Jacob Ward and Anna Hill.
- The children of John and Rachel Vernon Ward were: Elizabeth (Betsy) Ward, born September 9, 1780, and married Mr. George; Mary Ward, born August 5,1782, and married Mr. George; William Ward, born February 5, 1784, died December 12, 1862, and married Sarah Ayers on June 8, 1815, in Rockingham County, NC (She was born October 6,1795, in Bedford County, Virginia, and died October 21,1881, in Stokes County, NC); Rebecca Ward, born October 21,1785, and married Mr. Jackson; Jacob Ward, born September 12,1787, and went to Ohio; John Ward, Jr. was born December 6,1789 and married Mary George November 11,188 in Stokes County, NC Anna Hilt Ward, born September 22,1793, and married Charles Duncan August 15,1828, in Stokes County, NC; Ebenezer Worth Ward, born September 28,1793, died April 12, 1865, in Pleasant Garden, Guilford County, NC, and married Mary Ann Henndrix; Sarah Ward, born August 20,1795, and married Mr. Williams; Mitchell Ward, born September 6,1797, married February 12, 1818, Jane McCollum and moved to Jamestown in Guilford County, NC; Rachel Ward, born July 12,1800 and married Julius Patterson November 12, 1816; and Juda Ladd Ward, born July 16,1803 and married Green L. Richardson February 12,1825.
- To our knowledge, John Ward was the first early ancestor to settle in Stokes County. John was born April 25,1755 in Culpeper, Virginia. His father, Jacob Ward, was born in 1730 in Culpeper, Virginia, his death in 1791. His mother was Anna Hill. His parents had married in 1750. His brothers and sisters were Mitchell, Jacob, Frankey, Judath, Anna, Sarah and William.
- In 1775 he enlisted in the army of the Revolution and served out his term of discharge in Virginia. He was serving in Williamsburg under Colonel Patrick Henry when Henry was elected Governor of Virginia. In the fall of 1777 he turned out as a volunteer militiaman and marched to the camp of General Washington near Philadelphia where he remained until the expiration of three months, the period for which he had volunteered and was marched back and discharged.
- In the spring of 1778 he moved to Germanton, North Carolina, Surry County, which is now in Stokes. It was there he was married to Rachel Vernon, December 21, 1779, by a Baptist minister.
- Rachel and John had the following children: Betsy, birth 1780; Mary, birth 1782, married George; Rebecca, birth 1785, married Jackson; Jacob, birth, 1787, a Primitive Baptist preacher, went to Ohio; Anna H., birth 1791, married Charles Duncan; Ebenezer Worth, birth, 1793, death 1863, burial Pleasant Garden. Guilford County, NC, a Methodist minister, married Mary "Polly" Hendrix; Sarah "Sally" birth 1795, married Williams; John, birth 1787, married Polly George; Mitchell, birth 1797, married Jane McCollum and William, born 1784, married Sallie Ayers; Rachael, birth 1800, married Julius Patterson and Judah L., birth 1803, married Green L. Richardson. Thus the John Ward family begins in Stokes County.
- Mrs. Cecil (Madeline) Watkins
- The Heritage of Stokes County North Carolina 1981
- John R. Woodard, Chairman Editor the Book Committee
- The Stokes County Historical Society
- Abstract of Graves of Revolutionary Patriots
- Vol 4.
- Ward, John, Family Cemetery, between Prestonville and Delta Ch. Stokes Co NC. The map shows this to be NNE of Winston-Salem, just South of the Virginia line. Hwy 772 is the road that runs between Prestonville and Delta.
- 21 DEC 1779
- Germanton, Stokes Co., NC
- Source: S117 Author: Brenda H. Reed Title: Brenda H. Reed's Updated Kith & Kin ... Abbreviation: Reed, Brenda Publication: RootsWeb/28 Mar 2004 Paranthetical: Y
- Source: S121 Author: J. Michael Brown Title: J. Michael Brown Family Tree Abbreviation: Brown, J. Michael Publication: RootsWeb/22 Nov 2001 Repository: #R51 Media: Electronic Paranthetical: Y
- Repository: R51 Name: RootsWeb E-Mail Address: email@example.com
Thank you to Bob Nichol for creating WikiTree profile Ward-6530 through the import of Willis.ged on Mar 8, 2013.
Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Bob and others.
Searching for someone else?
- John Ward
- John Ward
- John Ward
- John C. Ward Sr.
- John W Ward
- John William Ward
- John Ward
- Major John Ward
- John Ward
- John Ward
- Anthony John Ward
- Jourdon J Ward
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with John:
- John Armstrong : 23andMe, GEDMatch M225813 + AncestryDNA, GEDMatch M083553, Ancestry member JTArmstrong112 + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch F126817, FTDNA kit #126817
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 38 degrees from Anne Frank, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 24 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.