James Warren was born in England or Scotland and tradition says he was among the prisoners that Oliver Cromwell sent to New England after his victory over the royal troops at Dunbar in the north.
Before 1656, James had settled in the upper part of Kittery, Maine which is now the town of South Berwick.
He had several grants of land and held various town offices. His will was dated 9 December 1700 and proved 24 December 1702. His wife Margaret was born in Ireland and her will was dated 13 December 1712 and proved 15 October 1713. They had five children: Gilbert, James, Margaret, Grisel, and Jane. 
In Vaughan Woods Memorial State park there is a plaque marking the home site of James Warren. In the 1630's, much of this property was bought by Europeans and often given to indentured servants upon completion of their service. James Warren, a Scot loyal to the King of England during the civil war, was one of these indentured servants. At the end of his indentures, he settled on a 50 acre lot within the current park
- Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 (Provo, UT, USA, Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004), Ancestry.com, Source number: 755.001; Source type: Pedigree chart; Number of Pages: 5. Record for James Warren.
- William Richard Cutter, William Frederick Adams. Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to the Families of the State of Massachusetts, Volume 4. Lewis historical publishing Company, 1910 - Massachusetts, p 2637.
- William Richard Cutter. Genealogical and Family History of Western New York: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Building of a Nation, Volume 1. Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1912 - New York. p. 136
- ↑ Warren Orin. Warren; a genealogy of the descendants of James Warren who was in Kittery, Maine, 1652-1656; Haverhill, Mass., The Chase press, 1902. 
- ↑ Maine Trail Finder. Vaughan Memorial State Park 
- WikiTree profile Warren-2050 created through the import of Asa Osgood Pike_2011-07-29.ged on Jul 29, 2011 by Alexis Connolly.
- WikiTree profile Warren-2045 created through the import of Asa Osgood Pike_2011-07-29.ged on Jul 29, 2011 by Alexis Connolly.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of James's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jack Wise and Serena Stackpole. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
James is 13 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 44 degrees from Lisa Kudrow, 25 degrees from Kurt Vonnegut and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.