- Jonas Weed's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
This profile is part of a project. Please communicate with managers before changing any relationships, adding or removing parents, spouses, or children. Thanks!
Jonas Weed, immigrant to Watertown, Wethersfield in 1635, Stamford in 1642
Caution Two Jonas Weeds married to Mary
There were two Jonas Weeds, who lived at different times at Stamford, Connecticut. They both married Marys. The later Jonas Weed (1668-1706) married Mary Scofield who married as her 2nd to Samuel Hoyt.
This earlier Jonas Weed (1610-1672) married Mary Unknown.
Unfortunately errors in confounding these two families have been repeated throughout various user-submitted data bases and websites.
Please discuss any changes to these families before making them. A lot of mis-information is "out there." Only the most primary sources are appropriate for any pre-1700 profiles, and especially these.
Jonas was born by 1610, based on date of his freemanship (18 May 1631). When John Winthrop, Jr. treated Jonas in 1669, he called him seventy, but Anderson believes this age "seems inflated." His origin is unknown. His parents are unknown.
Jonas immigrated in 1630. Note: Anderson does not identify which ship brought Jonas Weed to Massachusetts. Some claim he was aboard the Arbella. The Winthrop Society states there is no extant passenger list for the Arbella. Our only record is Gov. John Winthrop's Journal, and he mentions only a few of the passengers. Jonas' first residence was at Watertown in 1630, Wethersfield by 1635, and then Stamford in 1642.
Marriage and Children
The sequencing of the children's births presented some questions. Anderson placed Mary first in birth order (born say 1637), because she married by about 1657. Otherwise, he orders the boys and girls according to Jonas's will, incorporating whatever other clues we have.
- Mary Weed b say 1637; m by c. 1657 George Abbott
- John Weed b say 1639, eldest son; mar 1) by 1664 Joanna Westcott, 2) Mary Unknown
- Dorcas Weed b say 1641; mar 1660 James Wright
- Daniel Weed b say 1643; mar by 1675 Ruth Unknown
- Jonas Weed b say 1645; mar 1670 Bethia Holly
- Elizabeth Weed b say 1647; mar John Rockwell
- Sarah Weed b say 1649; did not marry David Waterbury [TAG 28:96-98]
- Hannah Weed b say 1651; mar 5 Jan 1670/1 Benjamin Hoyt, son of Simon Hoyt
- Samuel Weed b say 1653; mar Mary Unknown
- child Weed d 15 July 1656 Stamford
Property and Positions
In May of 1635, Jonas was one of six dismissed from the Watertown Church to form a new church on the Connecticut River at Wethersfield. Court held at Newton on 26 April 1636 granted them permission: 'Whereas there was a dismission granted ... to Andrew Ward, Joe Sherman, Joe Strickland, Rob'te Coo, Rob'te Reynolds and Jonas Weed, with intent to forme a newe Church ... (p 135).
His home in Wethersfield was at the extreme northern end of the Eastern side of the present High Street. It's position is indicated by his name on the 1640 map of the town in The History of Ancient Wethersfield (p 310)
Death and Legacy
There is a lot of incorrect information about this Jonas Weed. He has been confounded with the later Jonas Weed (1668-1706). In addition, Anderson cautions that some other errors have been made. Savage (1860) divided Jonas into two men, one at Watertown and one at Wethersfield, and a son at Stamford. Actually there was only one early Jonas Weed immigrant. In addition, Manwaring included an abstract of Jonas Weed at Southampton, Long Island, but Anderson believes this was clearly a mis-reading of Jonas Wood.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Jonas Weed: Featured Name The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, (Volumes I-III, Page 1956). (Online database accessed 6 March 2016: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2010)
- ↑ Hoyt, David Webster, A genealogical history of the Hoyt, Haight, and Hight families... (Page 319) Providence: Printed for the author by the Providence press, 1871, Archive.org accessed 3 Jan. 2016.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Winthrop Society, "Ships." 2015, accessed 6 Jan 2016.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Adams, Sherman W., The History of Ancient Wethersfield, Connecticut ... (Vol 1, Part 1, Pages 21, 135, 310) New York: Grafton Press, 1904, Archive.org accessed 19 January 2016.
- Weed, Charles Allison, History of the Weed and Allied Families. Baltimore: Gateway Press, 1971, HathiTrust.org Search Only.
- Jonas Weed in the Connecticut Town Death Records, pre-1870 (Barbour Collection) Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. White, Lorraine Cook, ed. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1994-2002.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- Jonas Weed profile disagreement between sources Jan 20, 2016.
No known carriers of Jonas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Henry Knoth, Kathryn Greenwald, Gene Davies, James O'Brien, Elizabeth Loftus, and Deborah Mackrodt. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On April 26, 2016 at 12:03GMT Cynthia B wrote:
Please approve, if you agree. Thanks!
On February 16, 2016 at 14:30GMT Cynthia B wrote:
Hi Nova, Doing some matching and merging. Would you please add me to the trusted list for Weede-6 and his wife? Thank you, Cynthia
On January 28, 2016 at 16:08GMT Anonymous Purcell wrote:
On January 25, 2016 at 01:54GMT Jeanie Thornton wrote:
On January 25, 2016 at 01:52GMT Jeanie Thornton wrote:
On January 20, 2016 at 17:29GMT Cynthia B wrote:
On January 19, 2016 at 22:51GMT Cynthia B wrote:
On January 19, 2016 at 06:08GMT Cynthia B wrote:
Before completing the actual merge, it will be a good idea to detach from each other, to avoid any computer confusion. Thanks!
If you agree, please approve. Thanks!
On January 19, 2016 at 05:47GMT Cynthia B wrote:
On January 19, 2016 at 05:32GMT Cynthia B wrote:
For our Puritan Great Migration Project profiles, we defer to Anderson's Great Migration series as our primary reference. Anderson calls Jonas Weed's origin unknown and does not name any parents.
If there is some new evidence discovered since Anderson, please add it to the profile. If not, please detach parents.
Please let me know, if I can be of any help. Thanks!
Jonas is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 30 degrees from Gene Kelly, 16 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.