- Mary Wentworth's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Mary (sometimes Love) Wentworth, daughter of Thomas Wentworth and Grace Gascoigne, christened 25 Jun 1569 in Scrooby, Yorkshire, England, has been proposed as the wife of Mayflower passenger William Brewster, and as .
But the maiden name of William Brewster's wife has not been proven. The claim it was Mary Wentworth rests solely on the fact that Mary Wentworth happened to live somewhat close to William Brewster in Scrooby, Nottingham. That is very shaky evidence to say the least.
Further, it has been proposed that William Brewster may have married Mary Wyrall, but the evidence is just as flimsy for that marriage. There are no fewer than seven marriages from 1590-1610 that have been located in parish registers showing a William Brewster marrying a Mary. All, however, have been satisfactorily eliminated as probable candidates for the William and Mary Brewster who came on the Mayflower. So at present, there is no evidence to document who William Brewster's wife Mary actually was." (excerpted from the Great Migration Begins.) Nor can I find a source that says that Mary Brewster died 17 Apr 1627 anywhere (that's died anywhere, not sourced anywhere, but that applies too. 
Since William Brewster's wife's maiden name in not known, we cannot assume that Mary Wentworth was his wife. Nor can we assume she died when his wife died, be it in 1620/1 or 1627. Also, none of her children will be surnamed Brewster. Aside from possibly the birth date and her parents names, nothing in this profile is based upon facts. 
- ↑ Walter H. Burgess, John Robinson, the pastor of the pilgrims, London, 1920, p. 81 (footnote #2): "The maiden name of Mary has not been handed down. I suggest Mary Wentworth of Scrooby."
- ↑ http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=34836091
- ↑ Tom Bredehoft, Entered August, 2012
- ↑ Entered by Tom Bredehoft, Feb 5, 2013
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- What about children assigned to the wrong parents? Sep 3, 2013.
- What do we do about fictional Biographies? Aug 22, 2013.
- Discussion of name of wife of Wm Brewster of Mayflower fame... Oct 10, 2012.
No known carriers of Mary's ancestors' mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Ron Gragg, Heather Brown, Kathryn Greenwald, and Bob Pierce. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On May 30, 2016 at 21:08GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On May 30, 2016 at 20:49GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On May 5, 2016 at 11:40GMT Ron Gragg wrote:
- Name: Mary Wentworth
- Gender: Female
- Birth Year: 1569
- Spouse Name: William Brewster
- Spouse Birth Year: 1567
- Year: 1590
- Number Pages: 1<ref>Source number: 391.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: MEW</ref>
On May 4, 2016 at 14:40GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On September 28, 2014 at 06:51GMT RJ Horace wrote:
I take it the pictures are Mary Brewster as well.
Propose merge into Unknown-199693.
On September 15, 2014 at 14:16GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On April 23, 2014 at 05:06GMT Vic Watt wrote:
On March 20, 2014 at 05:47GMT Ron Gragg wrote:
Mary is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 38 degrees from Anne Frank, 22 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 26 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.