- Peter Winchell's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Olive, New York.
Peter Winchell "was a man of strong opinions, given to reasoning. He was Justice of the Peace for twenty years - and through most of his life deacon of the Baptist church. He was the religious, social, and intellectual center of his little neighborhood." So says Jeremiah Crosby Winchell.
Ordination as Deacon (1807)
"Minuts of the Baptist Council Held at Marbletown, Ulster County, State of New York, on the 21 and 22nd of January, 1807" ...
- Justice of the Peace, Town of Olive 1827
- Executor, Will of Jeremiah Cudney - appointed December 16, 1828
- Executor, Will of Jane Cudney - appointed December 4, 1829
- Supervisor, Town of Olive 1831-32
Olive, Ulster County, N.Y., May 2, 1856.
Brother Beebe: - I send you for publication, the obituary of my father, Dea. Peter Winchel, who departed this life, April 26th, 1856. His days were eighty-two years, eleven months and three days. He had no particular disease, but seemed to waste away by reason of old age. "Man dieth and wasteth away." He was deprived of the privilege of meeting with the church for about ten weeks before his death. We can truly say, he died in the triumphs of the faith, of God's elect, of which he talked much as he approached the time of his departure. Well may we say in his case - "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord." He received a hope in the redeemer when he was sixteen years of age, and he was one of the constituent members of the church, in 1799, and remained a member of the church to the time of his death. He lived a life of morality and godliness, and was a father to the poor and needy, always ready to lend a helping hand. We can truly say, we have lost a kind and affectionate father, and the church has sustained a loss that will long be felt; for he always filled his seat in the church, from its first origanization [sic], and was the last of those who where in the Constitution of the church. His funeral was attended on Sunday, on which occasion, Eld. Joseph L. Purington preached by request of the deceased, from Romans iv. 25 - "Who was delivered for our offences, and raised again for our justification." We could say much in regard to his life and deportment as a man of God, but lest we should extend this notice beyond the space which can be afforded in the Signs, I will forbear. I thought when his earthly remains where being covered, I could use the language of the prophet Elisha, concerning Elijah. "My father! The chariot of Israel, and the horseman thereof; and he saw him no more."
Yours, &c., JACOB WINCHEL
Find-A-Grave Virtual Cemetery memorial #116852599 in Woodstock Cemetery, Woodstock, Ulster County, New York
- Winchell Genealogy, 1917
- Winchell, Jacob. "Obituary of Peter Winchell." Signs of the Times (Vol. XXIV. No.10.) 2 May 1856
- Baptism Records of St. Peter's (Zion's) Lutheran Church, Redhook, New York.
- Poucher & Terwilliger, Old Grave Stones of Ulster co (1931), 397. 83-11-3.
- 1855 Census Olive, Ulster County, New York, 248. bDut res 78y.
- copied and indexed by Jean D. Worden, Records of the Marbletown Reformed Dutch Church & the
Stone Ridge Methodist Church (Anundsen Publishing County, Decorah, IA. 1987), 206.
- ↑ Minutes of the First Baptist Church of Marbletown, book 2, p10
- ↑ The New-York State Register for... 1830
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Peter by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share significant DNA with Peter:
- Eric Winchell - 23andMe
GEDMatch ID M171003
- Bruce Winchell - 23andMe
GEDMatch ID M752225
- Carleton Deming - 23andMe
GEDMatch ID M130238
- Andrea (Horn) Tonole - 23andMe
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.