Supervisor, Town of Olive 1875 (Democrat)
March: "Mrs. Henry Winchell of Olive vicinity, her son and her sister, Miss Susie Boice, who formerly resided in Shokan and is a daughter of J. P. Boice, passed through this place Friday on their way to visit Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan V. Winchell of Olive."
Winchell Reunion (1910)
"A very remarkabie family reunion occured at tha home of Jonathan Van Winchell in the town of Olive Saturday, September 24, 1910. The seven surviving sons and daughters of Jacob Winchell were the center of interest. The oldest is Jonathan Winchell aged 89 years. Then Rebecca Perry, Charlotte Markle, Delilah Bush, Phebe Everett, William Winchell and Azarias Winchell. The combined sum of their ages is 533 years, and their average age is 76-77 years. Twenty-three members of the Jacob Winchell family were present and the Rev. and Mrs. C.G. Gorse of Shokan especially invited guests. A very substantial dinner, a fair sample of Winchell cookery, consisting of roast beef, chicken, vegetables, pie, ice cream, and cake were served and received due justice from all. The brothers and sisters had their pictures taken in a group by Mrs. Gorse, as did also the whole company. The affair was a most delightful one. No one enjoyed it more than did Jonathan Winchell, the eldest brother in this remarkable family, who is well preserved for a man of his years. 
Deacon Jonathan Winchell died at the home of his son, Olive, N.Y., Sept 14th, 1913, in the 92nd year of his age. Brother Winchell was a son of Elder Jacob Winchell, who served the Olive and Hurley Church for a number of years as pastor. Brother Winchell united with the Olive and Hurley Church Dec. 22nd, 1867, and was baptized by Elder I. S. Hewitt. He was chosen deacon of the Olive and Hurley Church shortly after he united with the church, and filled the office well. He was a faithful and devoted member as well as a deacon. In the days of his youth and vigor he was always first to lend a helping hand to those in need; many are the acts of kindness he performed to the poor and needy. Brother Winchell was a man of sterling qualities, upright in all his walk; he loved mercy, dealt justly and walked uprightly. For a number of years he was not able to get out to meeting; he was not sick at heart, but his great age brought with it the infirmities of old age, which confined him to his home. He longed to depart and be with Christ, yet was willing to wait the Lord's time.
His funeral was held from his home, and was largely attended by friends and relatives, which spoke louder than words the high esteem in which he was held. Burial was in the Winchell Cemetery. The writer conducted the services, trying to speak to the comfort of the friends such as the Lord was pleased to give.
J. B. Slauson
- Date: 14 SEP 1913
- Place: Olive, Ulster County, New York
- Source: Details: Footnote: Records of the Old School Baptist Church, Olive, New York Footnote: Records of the Old School Baptist Church, Olive, New York
- FOOT Records of the Old School Baptist Church, Olive, New York
- Type: Baptised
- Date: 22 DEC 1867
- Place: Olive, by Elder Isaac Hewitt
- Type: Fact 5
- Place: Olive, by Elder Isaac Hewitt
- Source: S00053 Title: Signs of the Times NOTESigns of the Times, Source Medium: Newspaper CONT .
- ↑ Kingston Daily Freeman, Number 128, 18 March 1903
- ↑ Kingston Daily Freeman, Number 239, 1 September 1903
- ↑ Kingston Daily Freeman, Volume 39, September 29 1910, Page 10
- ↑ Signs of the Times, November 15, 1913
- ↑ Source: #S00053
Thank you to Eric Winchell for creating WikiTree profile Winchell-154 through the import of Winchell122899_2013-08-28_2013-08-28WW.ged on Aug 28, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Eric and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Jonathan by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Jonathan:
- Eric Winchell : 23andMe, GEDMatch M171003
- Bruce Winchell : 23andMe, GEDMatch M752225
- Carleton Deming : 23andMe, GEDMatch M130238
- Andrea (Horn) Tonole : 23andMe
- Carol Winchell : 23andMe
- Donna Winchell : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A328352
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Jonathan is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 20 degrees from Michael Phelps, 27 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.