- Abraham Womack Sr's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
|This person settled in the US Southern Colonies Prior to incorporation into the USA.|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the US Southern Colonies Project!
|based on historical events and/or calculated by ages of other family members.|
Abraham Womack, Sr., 1645-1733
Abraham married Sarah Worsham about 1662 in Henrico County.
Abraham was not literate and all documents are signed with his mark (AW).
- William Womack, 1643 - 1674
- Jane Womack, 1648 - ?
- Richard Womack, Sr., 1655 - 1683
- Anne Womack, 1657 - 1694
- Thomas Womack, 1647 - 1696
- John Womack, 1653 - 1724
- Mary Womack, 1657 - ?
- 1 January 1679/80 - Witness to sale of plantation in Bristol Parish, Henrico County, from "Thomas Wells and Grace his wife" to Richard Holmes; recorded 2 February 1679/80. Signed Abrah. (AW) Womack/
- 2 June 1679, 10 November 1679 - Ages as given by deposition in county records, 1677-1692 Will & Deed Book: Mary (Puckett) Womecke (sister of John Puckett), 22; Thomas Puckett, 21; Edward Stratton, 24; William Puckett, 22 (brother of John Puckett); Abraham Womacke, 35; Richard Womecke, 24.
- 30 April 1687 - Witness to agreement of support between Mary Platt and her son Edward Tanner, of County & Parish of Henrico; recorded 1 June 1687. Signed: Abraham (AW) Womack.
- 2 August 1687, 1 October 1687 - Ages as given by deposition in county records, 1677-1692 Will & Deed Book: Abraham Womecke, 42
- 12 Xbr (December) 1688 - Upon peticon, These may certify that there is due unto Abraham Womeck 250 acres of land for importation of five persons into the colony, vizt: Sarah Somercales, Clemewe Proveer, John Stewart, William Migellon, James Ruttlidge.
- 30 May 1690 - Agreement between William Clark and Abraham Womeck about bounds of their lands, surveyed by Mr. Mings. Mentions lands of Gilbert Elam and Thomas Shippy. Wit: Wm Randolph, Litt'ry Epes. Signed: Abra. (AW) Womack.
- 1 February 1690 - Named in sale of land from Edward Stratton of Henrico Co., to Arthur Moseley. Land on south side of James River south of the James River Road, "next to Abraham Womeck, Gilbert Elam, and Halfway Swamp...."
- 1 August 1691 - Ages as given by deposition in county records, 1688-1697 Will & Deed Book: Abraham Womeck, 49
- 1 October 1692 - Abra. Womeck to this Court complaining that the Orphans of his brother Richard Womeck under ye tuition of John Granger do very much suffer for want of Necessary Education & apparell. It is ordered that ye sd. John Granger be summoned to ye next Court to answer to what shall be ofjected agst. him concerning the same.
- About October 1693 - Abraham Womack & John Woodson, Jr. appointed by the Court of Heno. to lay out Sarah Woodson Sr.'s portion of land given by her son Jeremiah Browne.
- 15 August 1699 - "Mr. John Worsham and Mr. Abraham Womack, Sr of Henrico Co., to Edward Stratton, son of Edward Stratton, lately dec'd. of same, for £10, all our right in 1/3 part of 879 acres on north side Swift Creek, called "Coldwater Run" taken up by said Worsham, Womack and Edward Stratton, dec'd. on 20 Oct. 1691. Stratton died in Sept. 1698. Edward Stratton, son of Edward, dec'd. is to have 293 acres. Wit: Richard Ligon, Jos. Royall, Jr., Francis Patram, Charles Roberts. Signed: John Worhsam, Abraham (AW) Womack 21 Aug. 1699"
- 1 April 1708 - Edward Stratton sold for £11 5s the 1/3 interest, 293 acres called Coldwater Run, which was transferred to him on 15 August 1699 back to Abraham Womack and John Worsham. Ann, wife of Stratton, relinquished her dower rights.
- 1 May 1708 - Abraham Womack member of the Grand Jury sworn May 1, 1708. Abraham Womack, Foreman.
- 7 August 1721 - Abraham Womack, Senr. acknowledges a deed dated 7 Augt. 1721. to Abraham Womack, Jr. Augt. 1721.
- 1st Monday in February 1732 - Abraham Womack witness to sale of land from William Moseley of Henrico Co., to Anthony Wilkinson.
Death & Legacy
The will of Abraham Womack was written in Henrico County, Virginia in November 1732 and proved at a [court] at Varina for Henrico Co. the first Monday in October 1733. The copy is not in very good condition and many words and phrases are missing.
- All Abraham's household goods and a debt owed to him are given to a son whose name cannot be read.
- Two Negro Men Frank and York, are left to a son whose name cannot be read
- To Grandson William Womeck son of Abraham Womeck my horse
- To son Abraham Womeck two brown cows and a brown steer
- To my ..tha [Martha?] Hambleton one shilling sterling and no more
- to son Thomas Womaeck my N... Matt, also to my son the forty shillings which I expected to be sent for in goods at ... Also to said son Thomas my Bed and all the Furniture, one Brass Kittle, one Trunk, two Ea... Muggs, all my wareing apparril both linning and wooling
- To my son Abraham Womeck all my money which he ha.. also give to my said son all my household goods not mentioned.
- Son Abraham appointed sole Executer.
- Signed: ... November 1732. Abraham (AW) Womack
- ↑ Birth year based on ages given by Abraham in depositions in county records (see Timeline): age 35 in 1679 (b 1644); age 42 in 1687 (b 1645); age 49 in 1691 (b 1642)
- ↑ Weisiger, Benjamin B. III, Comp.; Henrico County, Virginia Deeds 1677-1705; Richmond, Virginia, 1986, p 5
- ↑ Weisiger 1986, p 147, 148
- ↑ Weisiger 1986, p 42
- ↑ Weisiger 1986, p 151
- ↑ Valentine, Vol. 3, p 1776
- ↑ Weisiger 1986, p 59
- ↑ Weisiger 1986, p 61
- ↑ Weisiger 1986, p 153
- ↑ Valentine, Edward Pleasants; The Edward Pleasants Valentine Papers, Vol. 3. Published by the Valentine Museum, Richmond, Virginia. Reprint Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co., 1979, p 1772
- ↑ Valentine, Vol. 3, p 1970-1971
- ↑ Weisiger 1986, p 108
- ↑ Weisiger, Benjamin B. III, Comp; Henrico County, Virginia Deeds 1706-1737. Richmond Virginia, 1985; p 10
- ↑ Valentine, Vol. 3, p 1796
- ↑ Weisiger 1985, p 171
- ↑ Weisiger 1985, p 127
- ↑ Valentine, Vol. 3, p 1799
- Ancestral File Number: 8KJD-5L Reference #: HWS103158
- Abraham's profile data collected from the website of Brian Larson by Varnell-40 07:57, 10 April 2015 (EDT).
- Abraham's additional profile data collected by Varnell-40 18:57, 10 April 2015 (EDT).
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Abraham by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Ralph Crumpton - Family Tree DNA yDNA 37 markers
Family Tree DNA kit 275505
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Shirley Dalton, Paul Lee, Chris Jackson, Randolph Howard, Jason W. Crews, and Mark McKinney. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On April 10, 2015 at 12:04GMT Charlie Varnell wrote:
On March 11, 2015 at 17:23GMT Gene Adkins wrote:
On March 8, 2015 at 07:58GMT Shirley Dalton wrote:
On March 8, 2015 at 07:57GMT Shirley Dalton wrote:
On March 8, 2015 at 07:43GMT Shirley Dalton wrote: