Acceptable Use Policy
Last Revised June 5, 2009.
Interesting.com, Inc. ("Interesting.com") provides the WikiTree website and services (collectively, "Website") to you ("User") subject to this Acceptable Use Policy ("AUP"). This AUP is intended to help protect our Users and third parties from inappropriate use of the Website. User's use of Website constitutes acceptance of this AUP. Interesting.com reserves the right to revise and update this AUP from time to time. User is responsible for keeping itself informed of the current AUP in effect, including any revisions or updates, and for abiding by the terms of this AUP. For the most current version please go to https://www.wikitree.com/about/acceptable-use.html.
- The Website may only be used for lawful purposes, and User shall bear the responsibility for ensuring that such use complies with all applicable laws. Because User is obligated to keep Passwords secure and confidential, User is responsible for all use of the Password, with or without the knowledge or consent of User.
- Interesting.com reserves the right, at its sole discretion, with or without notice, to remove or refuse to post any material. The following is a non-exhaustive, non-exclusive list of behavior and content that violates this AUP ("Prohibited Conduct"). Interesting.com may suspend or terminate service provided to any User if User or any other party using User's services or facilities, directly or indirectly, for engaging in Prohibited Conduct. In the case of tortuous or illegal activity against Interesting.com or any third party, Interesting.com reserves the right to investigate the conduct and to disclose such information, including information regarding the identity of the User, as is necessary to pursue legal action.
A User commits Prohibited Conduct if he engages in any of the following actions:
- Posts or transmits to the Website any material that User knows or ought reasonably to have known (i) cannot be legally distributed (whether by law or regulation or in contempt of any court or other governmental authority or body); (ii) that infringes the copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, or other proprietary rights ("Intellectual Property Rights") of any third party; or (iii) that contains any content that is illegal, threatening, harassing, defamatory, obscene, pornographic or indecent;
- Posts or transmits any material to the Website that breaches any laws or regulation relating to a person's right to privacy or the export of personal data ("Privacy Rights");
- Posts content that:
- is offensive or promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual; harasses or advocates harassment of another person;
- exploits people in a sexual or violent manner;
- contains nudity, violence, or offensive subject matter or contains a link to an adult website;
- promotes information that you know is false or misleading or promotes illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;
- promotes an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person's copyrighted work, such as providing pirated computer programs or links to them, providing information to circumvent manufacture-installed copy-protect devices, or providing pirated music or links to pirated music files;
- involves the transmission of "junk mail," "chain letters," or unsolicited mass mailing, instant messaging, "spimming," or "spamming";
- contains restricted or password only access pages or hidden pages or images (those not linked to or from another accessible page);
- furthers or promotes any criminal activity or enterprise or provides instructional information about illegal activities including, but not limited to making or buying illegal weapons, violating someone's privacy, or providing or creating computer viruses;
- solicits passwords or personal identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes from other Members or users;
- involves commercial activities and/or sales without our prior written consent such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, or pyramid schemes;
- infringes or misappropriates any third party's patent, trademark, service mark, copyright, moral rights, trade secrets or other intellectual property; or
- invades or violates any third party's right to privacy;
- Uses the Website in a manner that is intended to abuse or to violate the property rights of others, including, without limitation, activities that result in the distribution of viruses, worms time bombs, Trojan horses, cancelbots, or other destructive activities;
- Uses the Website for any purpose or in any manner that is unlawful, prohibited under this AUP, or that violates any Intellectual Property Right, Privacy Right, or other right of Interesting.com or any third party;
- Violates any law, statute, ordinance, or regulation (including without limitation the laws and regulations governing criminal activity, export control, unfair competition, or false advertising);
- Attempt to break security, or in fact, breaks security of any Interesting.com computer network;
- Uses services to conduct any other activities that Interesting.com determines are injurious to its operations or reputation;
- Uses bandwidth or disk space in excess of limits permitted in the descriptions or agreements concerning the services or in amounts that impair the performance of the Interesting.com servers, network, and/or services;
- Posts advertising to, or solicitation of, any Member to buy or sell any products or services through the Services. You may not transmit any chain letters or junk e-mail to other Members. It is also a violation of these rules to use any information obtained from the Services in order to contact, advertise to, solicit, or sell to any Member without their prior explicit consent. In order to protect our Members from such advertising or solicitation, we reserve the right to restrict the number of e-mails which a Member may send to other Members in any 24-hour period to a number which we deem appropriate in our sole discretion;
- Covers or obscures banner advertisements via HTML/CSS or any other means;
- Makes any automated use of the system, such as using scripts to add friends or send comments or messages; interfering with, disrupting, or creating an undue burden on the Services or the networks or services connected to the Services;
- Attempts to impersonate another Member or person or posting any third party's (including without limitation any family member's) information on the Services without permission;
- Uses the account, username, or password of another Member at any time or disclosing your password to any third party or permitting any third party to access your account;
- Selling or otherwise transferring your account;
- Using any information obtained from the Services in order to harass, abuse, or harm another person;
- Displaying an advertisement or accepting payment or anything of value from a third person in exchange for your performing any commercial activity on or through the Services on behalf of that person, such as placing content with a commercial purpose;
- Using the Services in a manner inconsistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations;
- Use or launch any automated system, including without limitation, "robots," "spiders," "offline readers," etc., that access the Services in a manner that sends more request messages to the Services servers than a human can reasonably produce in the same period by using a conventional on-line web browser;
- Collect or harvest any personally identifiable information, including names or e-mail addresses, from the Services, nor use the Services for any commercial solicitation purposes without prior written consent from WikiTree; or
- Rent, lease, transfer, sell, resell, or otherwise exploit for any commercial purpose, any portion of or access to the Services.
- User must immediately notify Interesting.com of any unauthorized use of a Password, and/or any breach, or attempted breach, of security known to User. Interesting.com takes no responsibility for the security of the communications transmitted over its facilities.
- Although Interesting.com reserves the right to refuse access or edit or remove Website Content that violates this AUP, User and Client acknowledge and accept responsibility and liability for Website Content posted by User. Interesting.com has no obligation to monitor, review, or edit the Website Content and does not endorse or guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information contained therein.
- Interesting.com, in its sole discretion, will determine on a case-by-case basis what action will be taken in response to a violation of this AUP. Interesting.com reserves the right to investigate suspected or alleged violations of this AUP, including gathering information from User, the complaining party, and examining of material on Interesting.com's servers. Nothing contained in this policy shall be construed to limit Interesting.com's actions or remedies in any manner. Interesting.com reserves the right to take any and all additional actions it may deem appropriate with respect to such activities, including without limitation taking action to recover the costs and expenses of identifying offenders and barring their access to the Website. Interesting.com reserves at all times all rights and remedies available to it with respect to such activities at law or in equity.
- Violations of this policy shall be reported by e-mail at info-at-interesting-dot-com (remove the hyphens and convert "at" to "@" and "dot" to ".").
- Interesting.com reserves the right to amend, alter, or modify this AUP at any time. Any amendment or modification is effective when posted and any use of the Website after the posting of a modification or amendment will be considered acceptance of those modifications.
- All obligations with respect to use of Website Content are further subject to the confidentiality obligations set forth set forth in the Website Terms of Service.
Interesting.com Website Acceptable Use Policy - Version June 5, 2009. If User has any questions about this AUP, send us an email at info-at-interesting-dot-com (remove the hyphens and convert "at" to "@" and "dot" to ".") and we will try to respond to User's question promptly.