The cast of Characters:
Richard Goldsmith (d. 1673) said to have been married twice:
(1) c. 1625 Mary thought to be Mary Loring
(2) c. 1648 Mary thought to be Mary Perkins.
John Abbey/Abbe married prob. twice:
(1) Mary: fact: Mary Abby, w. John, sr., Sept. 9, 1672 [Wenham VR]
(2) Mrs. Mary Goldsmith?: fact: John Abbe married Marah Gooldsmith in Wenham 25 Nov 1674 [Wenham VR]
John Abbe Jr (for purposes of identification) married twice
(1) ____ ch. b. 1665 - c. 1677
(2) Hannah ch. b. 1682 - 1699 recorded in Windham, Ct but most prob. born in Wenham. Wikitree profile Hannah Goldsmith
First: There has been some confusion over which John Abbe married the widow of Richard Goldsmith. John Jr's first wife wasn't the widow Goldsmith (because she wasn't yet a widow). His second wife was named Hannah, not Mary, so she wasn't the Goldsmith widow. Although from the wording of John Jr's will Hannah may have had children by a previous marriage. There is no indication that she was ever a Goldsmith. I think this is a hangover from the above confusion. Hannah's surname should be changed to Unknown unless there is a source I've missed.
Second John Abbe Sr has three wives attached.
1) Mary Perkins alleged wife of Richard Goldsmith
2) Mary Loring alleged wife of Richard Goldsmith
3) Mary King she also is
Most sources totally ignore Mary Loring as wife of John. Allegedly she was the first wife of Richard Goldsmith and not the second wife who was the wife of John Abbe, but Mary Loring currently has most of John's children attached.
Mary King ? I honestly don't know where she came from, but unless there is a source needs to be totally discounted. She has a Abbe child attached.
Mary Perkins. The sourcing for Mary Perkins is pretty thin. There was a Mary Perkins who was a member of the Wenham Church, and an 1897 genealogy that just says Goldsmith married Mary Perkins with no sources.
What I think should happen:
- Mary Loring and Mary King currently mothers of Abbe Sr's children by first wife, should be merged in to a Mary Unknown
- Mary Perkins should be changed to Mary Unknown, widow of Richard Goldsmith
That leaves only Mary Loring. A biographer says that Loring was discovered as her last name by someone who searched the records of Enfield. Enfield makes little sense except that John Abbe's son Thomas went to Enfield, but why would he have occasion to give the maiden name of his father's second wife (widow of Goldsmith), first husband's (Richard Goldsmith), first wife's name. Mary Loring's profile has taken on a life of it's own. She's been given parents and a birth. In the bio, it says there is a possible marriage for her to someone else. I think Mary Loring should be disconnected from Goldsmith and a new wife created Mary Unknown.
There is detail from Torrey's sources in the research notes
on the profile of Mary Perkins.
Thoughts? Comments? Objections?