The purpose of this post is to advocate for the complete removal of the category "Kissing Cousins" for the following reasons:
* The category's definition is incorrectly described and does not conform to the tradtional definition of what is a "kissing cousin."
* The category is being added to profiles inconsistent with the existing category description.
* There already exists a parallel category that is more appropriately named: Category:Consanguineous_Marriages.
* One of the slang uses for the term "kissing cousins" is to imply an incestuous relationship.
* For the few members who still want to use this category or something similar, there exists the possibility that they can create personal categories.
There are (at least) three common definitions for what is a "Kissing Cousin."
1. : a person and especially a relative whom one knows well enough to kiss more or less formally upon meeting
2. : one that is closely related in kind to something else, example: "Rethink Overalls: Get over your jumpsuit by flirting with its kissing cousin, the overall."
3. Consanguinity: ("blood relation", from the Latin consanguinitas ) is the property of being from the same kinship as another person. In that aspect, consanguinity is the quality of being descended from the same ancestor as another person.
The description on the category page says that the category is being used to group profiles of spouses who had the same last name whether they were related or not. However, the category is being solicited in G2G threads as a category that should be used any time a WikiTreer comes upon a cousin marriage. Looking at the profiles that carry this category, I found the profile of Calogero Grizzafi whose bio reads "Calogero marries his first cousin, Carmela Grizzaffi, on 30 October 1910."
In the United States and other parts of the world there exists a stigma aginst cousin marriage. This stigma does not exist in Europe and other places. To use a term that is meant to describe a salutation between relatives to describe a cousin marriage is sellacious and there already exists (in the US) some history of using the term in a derrogatory way to describe an incestuous relationship or one that is considered incestuous by law. For example: an internet search for the term "kissing cousins" brought up this article: Meet the kissing cousins who could face prison for having a baby
For these reasons I believe that this category should be removed. Profile managers who wish to track consanguinity can use the Consanguineous_marriages category.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post and to give it considertion.
Please note that this topic has been previously discussed in the Categorization Google Group and it was agreed that it should be referred to the WikiTree Community via the G2G forums. That discussion can be found here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/wikicategories/cu4Yg19Qhqo