Is everyone having trouble accessing Family Search? [closed]

+5 votes
115 views
I was last able to access Family Search on Friday afternoon. Since then I get the sign-in page, which just continues to bounce me back to itself. This happens via RootSearch and also any other way I've tried to access, and I know of at least one other person who has described the same problem-- so I believe it's a FS issue. Anybody know anything about it?
closed with the note: Read Dennis's comment up top for the answer that solved my issue.
in WikiTree Help by Stephanie Ward G2G6 Mach 8 (82.4k points)
closed by Stephanie Ward

This happened to me most of yesterday - on Opera browser (my preference for fam-search), but not when I switched to Edge.

I've had one "need to log in" (the two week log in, not the daily sign in) today.  Otherwise it seems to be ok.

I called them up about the two week log in. The person I talked to said that he would check with a technical person and would ask them to email me back. In the meantime, I just have to sign in every time I go there, so that's what I am doing.
Frank, I was having that problem too.  Take a look at this fairly recent thread:

https://www.wikitree.com/g2g/1063156/logging-into-family-search-repeatedly
Frank and Dennis, I looked at the thread, and it's a different issue. I can't access FS at all, not by checking the 2 weeks box, and not by leaving it unchecked. Not by going through RootsSearch, and not by going through a link they sent me to check out some new record on an ancestor. It did work for me just now when I googled their sign in page. But still the same loop when I just tried RootsSearch.
I spoke too soon. I got past the sign in page that time, but the site wouldn't let me do anything. When I tried to do a search it kicked me back to the sign-in page. :(
Stephanie, that sounds very similar to the treatment I was getting.  If you're able, try using a different browser, or look through the privacy and security settings on the browser you have and see if there may be any permissions where you could try white-listing Family Search.  In Firefox it was just called 'Cookies and Site Data' where I put FS on an allow list, and that seemed to work.
Dennis, thanks, that did the trick. I allowed Family Search to "use all cookies," went back and tried FS and got in. Thanks so much for the tip! :D

4 Answers

+6 votes
I had this problem for a few days using Firefox but when I changed to Google Chrome it worked fine. However now it is also working fine again on Firefox for me.
by Samantha Thomson G2G6 Mach 8 (80.4k points)
No problems for me, either. I also use the Chrome browser.
I'm using a Chromebook-- Google Chrome with no alternative possible on this device. Still the same result this morning, ugh.
It's as though something fs did upset our cookies.  Maybe some update, or one of their maintenance sessions went a  little wrong.
There was a maintenance last night because I saw their message.  I have no problem using chrome this morning.
+5 votes
Family search  has had a problem for  a long time.I have not

found a way too contact them.Thy took down there phone number,And find no e/mail.I have been a member for many years.
by Wayne Morgan G2G6 Pilot (916k points)

Here are the ways to contact them:  https://www.familysearch.org/help/.  In the U.S., you can call them at 866-406-1830.

Thanks, Kerry. The email message I tried to send on their help page would not send, so I'll try calling.
+5 votes
This happened to me using Firefox on Linux. I tried Chrome on the iPad and it worked.

After closing Firefox it started working, although I sometimes get the login screen. I did not have to clear cache or cookies.
by Kay Knight G2G6 Pilot (393k points)
+2 votes
Using Chrome, I've been unable to look at any records since Friday.  You can see the tree, but not suggestions, records, images (of any sort) or do merges.
by Kathy Rabenstein G2G6 Pilot (257k points)
Friday is when it started for me too.
I had my browser open since I was in the middle of adding sources to a profile.  Once I closed the browser and re-opened it, it worked again.  Try that.
I did try that without luck. Then I tried Dennis' suggestion, and "white listed" it for cookies. Now it works!

Related questions

+6 votes
1 answer
+7 votes
1 answer
110 views asked Dec 8, 2015 in The Tree House by Regis Giampersa G2G6 Mach 1 (14.7k points)
+5 votes
3 answers
+8 votes
4 answers
+3 votes
1 answer
32 views asked Oct 18, 2020 in WikiTree Tech by Karen Morris G2G3 (3.1k points)
+4 votes
1 answer
+1 vote
0 answers
30 views asked Jul 22, 2020 in WikiTree Tech by Irene Brady G2G Rookie (160 points)
+5 votes
1 answer
+11 votes
2 answers

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright

...