Good news! The Connectors Challenge will now begin on the FIRST of the month in line with some of the other challenges at WikiTree. This challenge is open to everyone. Unlike the Connect-a-Thon, only actual connections made are counted, not the number of profiles created to get to a connection.
Bragging rights for the last challenge (July/August 2020) go to Jayme Arrington! She made 28 verifiable connections!
The Connector’s Challenge Rules:
1. Pick an existing profile (created before this month’s challenge began) that is not currently connected to the Global Family Tree. (Hint: If you are a member of the Connectors Project, you’ll see a yellow puzzle piece icon next to that person’s name at the top of their profile if they aren’t connected.)
2. Add a profile for any first degree relative for that profile (a parent, spouse, child, or sibling). Continue adding first degree relatives until you run into a profile that is already connected to the Global Family Tree that you can attach to. Remember to use good sources to support the creation and connection of every profile you make! Please be aware that it takes 24 hours for the tree to update and show the connection.
3. ANSWER this post. This lets us know that you’re participating in this month’s challenge. It’s easiest for us to track your trail if you post it here, but you can also use the Challenge Tracker. Just be sure you comment “Connected to Smith-000” when you make the connection to the already existing, already connected profile. Replace Smith-000 with the actual profile ID of the starting profile you were trying to connect.
4. Remember the tally is not of profiles created (like the recently completed Connect-a-Thon) but of actual connections made to the Global Family Tree. You might connect a whole branch of profiles and make 100 new profiles in the process of making a connection, but the connection only counts as 1.
5. If you enjoy challenges, keep in mind that adding good sources to any existing profiles you run into while connecting or fixing errors on those existing profiles might count towards the Sourcerers or Data Doctors Challenges.
6. Coming Soon (we are still working out the kinks) - Let us know if you’d like a Connector’s Badge for participating. That will also make you a part of our project and we’d love to have you! The person who makes the most connections each month will get a Top Connector template for their profile. Stats are kept and updated on the Connectors Challenge page. Current standings are in the tracker (link to follow).